News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

"Local Golf in Scotland"
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »
Here's a great Thanksgiving read: David Owen's delightful Golf Digest piece about going to Scotland and playing the courses that only the locals seem to play.  Great concept, better writing.  A can't miss...

http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/destination/2007/10/scotland

Bob Jenkins

Re:"Local Golf in Scotland"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
Terry,

Thank you for posting this. Great read!

In the early 90's I visited Scotland with 3 buddies for a few weeks and played all of the "biggies" which was probably the best two weeks ever for this guy!

Having done that, I think a trip such as Daid Owen made to parts of Scotland or Ireland would be great as you could get to play with locals and members, have lunch or a beer and carry on to the next small hotel, B&B etc and spend time with the people and hear more about the courses. Unlike Mr. Owen, I have been thinking of planning the trip and writing ahead to the private clubs to ask to be able to join members to play with them, ie outside the times most of the courses have set aside for visitors from abroad.

Thanks again for the article.

Maybe one of these days!

Bob Jenkins

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
About four years ago I did the same thing in Ireland.  I was there to lecture and spent a week just travelling and playing golf. I was alone and just picked a club and went.  It may have been the best golf trip I have ever taken.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason McNamara

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:17:03 PM »
The nice thing about Scotland is that you really do not have to pack your bags and move every day (or every other day) to find a number of local & lesser known courses. There are many areas where you can stay for 3 or 4 nights and find at least that many local courses to play within a 30 to 40 mile (or less) radius of your hotel/B&B. That is one advantage Scotland likely has over Ireland for a trip like this.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
The nice thing about Scotland is that you really do not have to pack your bags and move every day (or every other day) to find a number of local & lesser known courses. There are many areas where you can stay for 3 or 4 nights and find at least that many local courses to play within a 30 to 40 mile (or less) radius of your hotel/B&B. That is one advantage Scotland likely has over Ireland for a trip like this.  

Good point.  In June we will be staying 5 nights in Dornoch and so far have booked the Struie course at RD, the Champ. course at RD x 3, Nairn, Golspie and still need to get to Tain and Brora.

R_Paulis

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »
Spent a year or so in London playing only occasionally during bank holiday weekends. Just before returning permanently to the States decided to spend three weeks in Scotland.

Of course played most of the great courses. But a restricted budget and a swing in desperate need of practice made me try some of the less known, less expensive tracks. Did not take notes nor can I remember all the courses - need to find the scorecards someday.

What an experience it was. No plans, no reservations, just golf every day. And lucky for me the weather was more than cooperative.

PS (off topic): The compressed sense of distance described in the article is evident when travelling across Great Britain. Everyone thought it was crazy to drive from London to Edinburgh. I even got infected with this proximity disease for I thought it would take the better part of a day to drive from Glasgow to Edinburgh - it takes an hour or so...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back