News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Re:1934 Connecticut Aerials
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 04:44:41 PM »
I am also amazed at how intact Misquamicut seems to have remained. I had always thought, like so many courses throughout New England, that the back 9 had been Cornish'd, but the aerial provided seems to show a remarkable continuity allowing for minor bunker shrinkage, etc. Oddly, the 17th seems to have been most changed in shape, but I suspect that is owing to flooding, etc, in the low lying areas near the beach.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 09:21:09 PM »
Really great, Anthony. When I was growing up in Middlebury my Dad was a member of CC Waterbury. Really amazing how little the course has changed from '34 to now. I never saw, however, any evidence of the bunkers left of the drive zone on #7. Neat.

Once a Nutmegger always a Nutmegger. Thanks.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »
SPDB:

I believe you are correct about Misquamicut. If I remember correctly, the the low lying areas across the road were raised about 4 inches a few years back with Ron Forse doing the work and that's when 17 was changed.

Thanks to everyone who has been sending us corrections and clarifications on the courses. We're thrilled that people are enjoying taking a look at these courses.

So what the Christ do we have to do to get a thumbs-up logo next to this post?
Anthony

SPDB

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »
 ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
Tony:

This is a wonderful thing you've done here. Great resource. Thanks.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »
Tom:

There are some very cool courses on this list that have long ago disappeared. I really like Edgewood and the bunkering, on what is now the site of TPC River Highlands. The routing is completely different but the pond that comes into play on the 16th and 17th holes is visible, as is the little pond in front of what is now 8 green.

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 12:56:01 PM »
One of my favorite aerials is of Wee Burn, which unfortunately was changed dramatically. I've heard a story that the clubhouse was relocated forcing the change. I know that Tom Fazio was in there in recent times and took down hundreds of trees. What else did he do?
Tony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »
Just found an aerial of a 1930 Orrin Smith 9-holer called Sunset Ridge Country Club in East Hartford. The Hartford Courant thoroughl covered the project which called for a 75 home lots and an eventual expansion of the course to 18 holes. The course probably succumbed sometime in the 1960s, but I can't be sure.

Although Smith was construction superintendent for a number of talented architects such as Willie Park, Jr., he was unimpressive on his own, however, there appears to be some thought to the bunkering on this nine.

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 02:57:17 PM »
Jim Kennedy has discovered a 9-hole course in Bedford, NY - 03985 for all those playing along at home - any idea what course it is?

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »
Tony,
Don't forget to change the # on Sunset Ridge.  ;D

O.E. Smith built some fairly deep and steep (on several holes you're eye-level with the green) bunkers at CC of Torrington and a good set of greens, they are a treat to putt and, for the most part, offer no easy up-and-downs when missed. Ed Goodhouse, the super there for many years, keeps them true, firm, and at breakneck speeds.  
The only person who I ever heard call them 'slow' was a member from Oakmont who played at TCC in the Connecticut Amateur back in '94. I have never seen the greens play so fast before, or at anytime after this event.
I caddied for a friend who went 71-65, with a total of 8 putts on the back nine during the afternoon round. J.J. Henry was also fun to watch that day.

Anyway, given the constraints of the property, hilly and only a touch over 100 acres, I'd say OE did a right fine job all by himself.

edit: someone was in there after OE, there have been changes. Ron Forse did a MP for them recently.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:17:58 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Todd Howes

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »
Tom:

There are some very cool courses on this list that have long ago disappeared. I really like Edgewood and the bunkering, on what is now the site of TPC River Highlands. The routing is completely different but the pond that comes into play on the 16th and 17th holes is visible, as is the little pond in front of what is now 8 green.

Anthony

First off, I'm honored to be on this site with such knowledgable golf course fanatics.  I have lived and played golf in CT all my life and can't commend Anthony enough on the job done finding all these courses.  A few things about Edgewood CC.  The road that takes a 90* angle at the NW section of the course still exists as is today.  The train tracks still sit as along the CT River today and run along the current 13th hole.  The clubhouse sits on the same ground as in 1934.  Lastly, after careful review I noticed some of the holes on the western side (left side of sat image) are very similar to the front nine holes of the TPC of Connecticut that was formed in 1982 out of the old Edgewood CC.  The holes along the road and over that little pond as well  as a couple of others were used in the "rough makeover" into TPC from Edgewood.  

TH
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:55:22 PM by Todd Howes »

Michael Christensen

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 09:12:33 PM »
Tony,

Sunset Ridge area East Hartford is right off I-84....I believe there was a school located in that area for many years.  That could have been the reason for the redevelopment.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »
Some how I missed this thread til now.  A.P., Jim, Brett and Kyle, you guys really are champions of the game and its history.  Nice work!

Did you try to cross reference any of the unknown's with Stu Bendelow's book.  I see your Lictchfield by unknown has a Bendy attribute.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:37:19 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »
RJ,
I haven't seen the Bendelow book, but Litchfield CC is dated at 1892 and I think this is before Bendelow's time, unless he showed up there later for remodeling work.  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 10:41:39 PM »
Todd:

Welcome to the site, but you should not be honored. We're honored that you have decided to join us.

I live in Middletown and worked at River Highlands part time mowing grass the last two summers. None of that course, known for a while as Middletown Country Club, exits today.

RJ:

What do you mean you missed this thread? We work and work and work and this this the thanks Brett, Jim, Kyle and I get?

Michael:

I'm confused. What is in the Sunset Ridge area now? Hartford Courant stories from the day refer to Kennedy Street that intersected with Silver Lane and that is gone as well.

Anthony

Michael Christensen

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 04:54:37 PM »
Tony,

I discussed this with my Mom and Dad who are in town.  She can remember a golf course off of Burnside Ave near Hillside Cemetary...at least that is what she remembers.  The course moved to its current location near the South Windsor border (East Hartford Golf Course) in 1960?

She tells me that the Sunset Ridge area of East Hartford was considered the high-end part of the town during the day...that whole area abutted Pratt and Whitney property (where the Uconn stadium is now) before I-84...Sunset Ridge school (education building) is still there.  I presume I-84 took some streets and probably some of the course when built..MC

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 06:48:19 PM »
Michael,
Sunset Ridge GC was located off Sunset Ridge Dr. and Silver Ln., about 1 1/4 mis. east of present day Rentschler Field, just west of the I-384 exit. Some of it was lost to I-84, some to housing both north and south of the highway, and some to Veteran's Memorial Park.

Steve Curry

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for sharing and thanks for all of your research.  

Happy Thanksgiving.

Steve

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »
Michael:

Thanks for the help. I may take a ride out that way Saturday to see what if anything is left.

Tony

Todd Howes

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
I've finally had some time to check out many of the courses Anthony listed.  I love the bunkering of 1934!  Where did all those bunkers go?  Wampanoag CC (West Hartford) has some fascinating looking bunkers including some cool cross bunkers right in front of tees.  Also, Torrington CC has some great bunkering that no longer exists throughout the course.  Very addicting checking out all these courses.  

TH

Michael Christensen

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
these private estate courses are most interesting....would be fascinating to see if any holes are still in existence in someone's back yard in Greenwich or West Hartford.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
Todd:

Ah the bunkering. Wampanoag was great for that. Too bad the club never saw fit to put them back.

Check out Edgewood Golf Club - TPC River Highlands is on the site now - Indian Hill, Tamarack for cool bunkering as well.

Visited Sunset Ridge today. Club was on a high hill with all the holes around it playing down or up steep inclines. Found one fairway with some other parts perhaps still remaining in deep woods.

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2007, 03:20:02 PM »
Tony,
Wasn't #09705 Windsor GC? I don't see it on the list.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »
Jim:

Thanks for the reminder. The only design of Charles Henderson is now on the list.

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »
Tony,
I found out the name of the course in the hamlet of Banksville, town of Bedford, NY which can be seen at map #03985.

I had written the town and they forwarded it to their historian, one Ms. Doris Finch Watson, and here is her reply (condensed):

"You are correct about the 1930s golf course in Banksville. It was called The Westchester Women's Golf & Tennis Club. The building(clubhouse) still stands and is the oldest in Banksville, dating to 1760, and presently houses the famous LaCremaillere Restaurant. The ancient caddie house also remains and is a now a private home.
Before 1940 the name and operation changed to The Westchester Golf Club and men were participants. The property was then purchased and developed by Wm. Jackson and many homes were built in the area.  In the 60s a new golf course was developed starting at the southern end of the old course and it was called The Banksville Golf Course. It was a successful 18 hole par-3 course but it too was eventually developed into homes."

There is no indication of who built the course in her letter, but the history is interesting. I had no idea there was a women only course in our area.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:32:02 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back