News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Petersen

February Golf (Pinehurst or Bandon)
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »
I know it's hit or miss at both, and I've already had the pleasure of Bandon in the winter, but what's the weather typically like around Pinehurst in February? 4 of us are thinking about getting away, and the Acura package at Pinehust is a great deal... thru Feb. 28th. Can't go wrong with the golf at Bandon, but these aren't "core" golfers, and won't enjoy the squalls ;) And, yes, I realize it can be sunny and 60 in Feb. in Bandon (just never when I'm there)  ;D
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Greg Krueger

Re:February Golf (Pinehurst or Bandon)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:06:25 AM »
Tony, you are right when you wrote "Hit or Miss" regarding the weather. I live in the Raleigh area and have seen it be
unplayable cold, but I have also experienced 80 degrees! You have more options in Pinehurst as far as places to eat and things to do if the weather is bad. Raleigh is about 1.5 hrs,
and Fayetteville is about 30 minutes. Hope your trip goes well!!

rchesnut

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »
That's a tough call.  I've been to both resorts a number of times, and I prefer Bandon hands down, but I'm more of a hard core golfer.  

Weather wise, according to Weather.com, the average high in February in Bandon is 56, and 54 in Pinehurst.  But Bandon gets almost 8 inches of rain in February, while Pinehurst gets less than 4.  And wind won't be a factor at Pinehurst, but you can count on wind in Bandon during February that will make it feel colder.  So if you're worried about the weather, and the deals are good, I think Pinehurst might win.  

If you really want to improve your odds, to further south down to Kiawah Island...the Ocean Course is terrific, the weather will be warmer than Pinehurst and it's even less likely to rain there in February.

Rob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:24:46 AM »
Some friends of mine from up north come down the last weekend of January each year. One year we went to the Pine Needles resort and the entire weekend was scrubbed due to an ice storm. They came back January of the following year to use their rain-check vouchers and it was in the mid-60's each day and absolutely gorgeous. That's about the range you're dealing with.

I think the wind and rain at Bandon might make Pinehurst marginally more comfortable if you play. But the thing that is the killer in North Carolina in February is the chance that you won't have the option to play at all. Ice storms or snow are very rare but you're going to have morning frost delays up to 2-3 hours quite often, maybe approaching 50% of the time. And if it stays below freezing all day the resorts are not going to allow you on the putting greens.

So check into the comparitive chances of below-freezing daytime temps in Bandon. I'll bet they get very few freezing days in that maritime climate but they probably get lots of "miserable but you can play" days in the upper 30's and 40's.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 08:11:57 AM »
Which one is easier to get to, Pinehurst or Bandon?

How long is the drive from Raleigh or Charlotte, if you were to fly in?

Oh by the way, I am headed to Bandon, February 7 to February 11, 2008.

Walt_Cutshall

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:23:40 AM »
I think you'll see wider swings of weather in Pinehurst than at Bandon, as Brent stated above. I think you will be able to play at Bandon, but it may be miserably rainy and windy.

Traveling to Bandon can be a challenge too, unless you're starting in the western US.

Given a choice between Pinehurst and Bandon in February, I think I'd choose....World Woods!  ;)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »
I lived in Pinehurst for the month of February this year, so I can give you an idea of the weather:

First two weeks of the month, forties, pretty cold, long frost delays like others have said, we did get snow once, but it was gone by 5 o'clock that night(man do people in NC freak out about snow)

Last two weeks of the month, fifties to sixties, a couple days it got up into the seventies at the end of the month.  So if you can go at the end of the month Pinehurst could be a good bet.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Steve Verde

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »
Cory,

What kind of playing conditions should be expected at Pinehurst for the 1st week in March? Is the bermuda still dormant and just the greens and fairways overseeded?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 07:15:31 AM »
Cory,

What kind of playing conditions should be expected at Pinehurst for the 1st week in March? Is the bermuda still dormant and just the greens and fairways overseeded?

That would be correct, pretty much everything is still brown in early March, except the greens and tees.  There are a couple full time residents of Pinehurst on this board who might be able to give you an idea of when things turn green, hopefully they will chime in.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:34:07 AM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 09:21:51 AM »
Neither, Cuscowilla baby.  Further South than Pinehurst.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »
Neither, Cuscowilla baby.  Further South than Pinehurst.

Or Longshadow given the rates and requirements at Cusco these days.  Longshadow is a great bargain and the James Madison Inn in town is close to luxurious.  Madison is a lovely little Georgia town.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 01:35:42 PM »
Pinehurst is a good spot, however if you seeing it for the first time its worth bucking up a little and coming  a few weeks later.

There is nothing like Pinehurst in the first week of April.

ps- Pine Needles-Mid Pines.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 01:37:20 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Dan Smoot

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »
I hate people talking about Bandon in February.  I immediately check my savings balance and start looking for my where I put my rain gear although I have had some unbelievable weather at that time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back