News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re:Golf in the Kingdom-A different View
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »
AGC:

Tom,
I STILL say "super fluid" very quietly from time to time while hitting range balls, and often find that I'm not getting completely to my Q point when I'm hitting a lot of high blocks or, alternatively, duck hooks. ;D

AGC,

Just hum the Blue Danube Waltz and you can dispense with Shivas altogether.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »
"Wayne,
Is it possible to read any book when stoned? Just asking."

Bob:

You're kidding, right?

There are times when Wayno can read a book when stoned without the book.

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »
Bob,

I liked the book but never considered it the Holy Grail (or the Golfers' Bible), just a pleasant read that allowed me at the time (1970s) to think that Scotland was a place I'd really like to get to see someday.  

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dan Kelly

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
Now now Dan, I would never agree that it's mystical crap.

Put me down for "fun yet harmless golf crap that shouldn't be taken as mystical."

Sure, OK. Talk about your faint praise!

In my column, that's known as a "corn dog" -- an insult wrapped in a compliment.

Oh, and by the way: Standing alone is ALWAYS fun, if you think it's fun to stand alone. (How's that for mystical crap?)

No need to reply!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:51:39 PM by Dan Kelly™ »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »
I don't think it's fun to stand alone.  But of course if I did, then it would be.  

Mystical Tom

ps - I never meant to give the book much more than faint praise.  I just also won't say it sucks.

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
"Tom P,
Hard as it is to believe, I know you never altered your state of mind."

I don't believe in altering my state of mind, Wayno. I only believe in enhancing my state of mind. Frankly, I can do that with something as simple as a Maxwell "poof".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:57:43 PM by TEPaul »

John_Cullum

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
"Golf in the Kingdom" is a complete waste of words and time. It is possibly worse than "the Good Doctor Returns." "The legend of Bagger Vance" is right there with them.
Raynor was a hack

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »
The key to appreciating that book is the heavy use of drugs (at least at some point in your life).  If you're gonna bother to read that book sober, of course it won't appeal to you.  Light up and enlighten up  8)

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  I even read it twice.  I might even read it again.

I also liked Bagger Vance...though the movie was pretty lousy.

I saw "Bagger Vance" the movie.  I can't remember if I was stoned or not.  It didn't matter; I disliked it intensely.  I've stayed away from "Golf In The Kingdom" for the same reason.  I'm not a fan of the mystical or intangible, although I support the "Be the ball, Danny." school of thought.

I get sufficient enjoyment digging on the tangible.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
I'm not sure even Tim Leary "turned on" for purposes of reading a book, and I would guess reading fell lower still on the priority list of his disciples.  Definitely below spoon bending...

There's a big difference between reading a book stoned and reading one while on LSD.

Look, the first half of the book is a hoot. Liked it. Looked forward to more of the same in the second half, and left disappointed. No crime there.

Wayne - you should probably read "A Separate Reality." Not much golf in there, though.  8)
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »
"Golf in the Kingdom" is a complete waste of words and time. It is possibly worse than "the Good Doctor Returns." "The legend of Bagger Vance" is right there with them.

LOL
It shouldn't surprise you to read I enjoyed all three of those.  But then again, I do treat golf as whimiscal, if not always mystical.

;D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »
The key to appreciating that book is the heavy use of drugs (at least at some point in your life).  If you're gonna bother to read that book sober, of course it won't appeal to you.  Light up and enlighten up  8)
I'm not sure even Tim Leary "turned on" for purposes of reading a book, and I would guess reading fell lower still on the priority list of his disciples.  Definitely below spoon bending...

That's Timothy Leary with an "r" to make sure there is no mixup here.

I just started the book and was wondering if the course in the book was a real course or if anyone recognized the course from the descriptions. The intro said it might be recognized by anyone who has played there.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »

There's a big difference between reading a book stoned and reading one while on LSD.

We sure do seem to have a lot of experts here.

(Multiple emoticons omitted.)

I thought "A Separate Reality" was ALL about golf!

John_Cullum

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »

LOL
It shouldn't surprise you to read I enjoyed all three of those.  But then again, I do treat golf as whimiscal, if not always mystical.

;D

Have you sent in your dues to the Shivas Irons Society this year?
Raynor was a hack

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
"I get sufficient enjoyment digging on the tangible."

But John, how do you really know it's tangible? Can you actually prove it's tangible? How do you even really know you're digging? Can you actually prove you're digging?

What if Wayno was there with you and he was stoned and he said he didn't think you were digging? Or what if he didn't think you were digging because he believed there wasn't really any tangible there to dig on?

What if he said that the tangible and the digging, was, in fact, nothing but a fignewton of your imagination?!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:13:05 PM by TEPaul »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »

LOL

;D

Read my post on page one... I called them wackos....

;D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 01:15:19 PM »
Bob, I'll admit to not gaining any deeper appreciation for having read the book. The only line that spoke to me was Shivas' toast at the bar.

However, if the book can enlighten golfers (or those who play golf) to some of the mysteries, I see no reason to belittle them.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John_Cullum

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »

LOL

;D

Read my post on page one... I called them wackos....

;D

There's hope for you yet. I will submit a request that you be placed on the BBGE Mass Intentions list.

By the way. It is conceivable that Tom Paul was the ghost writer for all three works
Raynor was a hack

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
I can see the cover of the next edition:

"Mystical crap!" -- Geo. Pazin

"Well, sure -- but harmless!" -- Tom IV Huckaby

"Perfect for the Heavy Drug User!" -- Wayne Morrison

All right, then. To update our blurbs for the next paperback edition:

"Less than the Holy Grail that it has since become...in the end, nothing but aimless prattling." -- Bob Huntley

"I read half of it -- and quit, never tempted to return." -- Dan Kelly

"Generally incoherent but maybe that was just me!" -- Bill McBride

"A good satire on reading too much into golf." -- Bob Crosby

"A little to cutesy for my taste, got a bit better for a while in the middle and then just devolved into claptrap toward the end." -- Brent Hutto

"Mystical crap!" -- Geo. Pazin

"Fun yet harmless golf crap that shouldn't be taken as mystical."
!" -- Tom IV Huckaby

"Perfect for the Heavy Drug User!" -- Wayne Morrison

"A complete waste of words and time." -- John Cullum

And yet...the paperback version of "Golf in the Kingdom" is ranked #77,433 on Amazon, while a far better book, "Amen Corner"  ;) has slipped from a high point of about #2,890 to its current position of #512,953. As far as I know, the words "claptrap" and "incoherent" have not been used to describe "Amen Corner," but that's publishing.

My view of "Golf in the Kingdom" is very similar to the majority view here, but I have to say it is an immensely better book than the sequel, "The Kingdom of Shivas Irons," published in 1998 and quite possibly the worst book I've ever read.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:24 PM »
And yet...the paperback version of "Golf in the Kingdom" is ranked #77,433 on Amazon, while a far better book, "Amen Corner"  ;) has slipped from a high point of about #2,890 to its current position of #512,953. As far as I know, the words "claptrap" and "incoherent" have not been used to describe "Amen Corner," but that's publishing.

My view of "Golf in the Kingdom" is very similar to the majority view here, but I have to say it is an immensely better book than the sequel, "The Kingdom of Shivas Irons," published in 1998 and quite possibly the worst book I've ever read.

I volunteer.

If it'll help your sales in the next edition of "Amen Corner," just stick this on the cover: "Incoherent claptrap!" -- Dan Kelly™.

Where does "The Kingdom of Shivas Irons" ("Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read!" -- Rick Shefchik, author of "Amen Corner" ["Incoherent claptrap!" Dan Kelly™]) -- sit on the "best-seller" list?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:30:35 PM by Dan Kelly™ »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »

We sure do seem to have a lot of experts here.

(Multiple emoticons omitted.)

I thought "A Separate Reality" was ALL about golf!

Just attempting to put my mis-spent youth to good use!
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »
As this thread is proving, my feeling is far more golfers dislike the book than like it.  Or at least those who dislike it sure are not shy about making their feelings known!

The shivas irons society is a bunch of wackos.. and I think they'd admit that and relish the title.   ;D

All this being said, I loved the book - enjoyed the read - even the second half.  But I never thought of it as a life-changing quasi-religious tome, as some do... To me it was just a fun, and really weird, golf book.  And keeping it on that level, yes I did enjoy it.

TH

I agree with TH here...mosty, purely for fun...and I never read it, just listened to the book on tape which made for a very enjoyable car ride.  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »

I volunteer.

If it'll help your sales in the next edition of "Amen Corner," just stick this on the cover: "Incoherent claptrap!" -- Dan Kelly™.

Where does "The Kingdom of Shivas Irons" ("Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read!" -- Rick Shefchik, author of "Amen Corner" ["Incoherent claptrap!" Dan Kelly™]) -- sit on the "best-seller" list?

400,462 :'(
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »

I volunteer.

400,462 :'(

Rick --

I'm reminded of a New Yorker cartoon of three fish -- a huge one who's thinking "The world is perfectly just" as he eats a medium-sized one who's thinking "There is some justice in the world" as he eats a little one who's thinking "There is no justice in the world."

Dan

P.S. Here's that cartoon, in emoticon form:

;D :o :'(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:43:53 PM by Dan Kelly™ »

Doug Wright

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 01:43:46 PM »
"claptrap" and "incoherent" have not been used to describe "Amen Corner," but that's publishing.

Rick,

Is it publishing or is it marketing, or is there a difference?

If your book is "the perfect airplane read for a golf trip," is it on any airport bookshelves? (It certainly should be...)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:45:05 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »
Doug,

You can't talk about one without the other. I have a wonderful publisher, but they can't do much in the way of marketing -- nothing like the big houses. My publisher told me they can't get my book into airport bookstores, because it hasn't sold enough -- and it hasn't sold enough because, in part, it isn't in airport bookstores.

That's publishing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back