News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re:Golf in the Kingdom-A different View
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2007, 06:21:53 AM »
Bob.....I would enjoy sharing stories with you over a gin and tonic because I too have had my share of life threatening close calls.....more in hazardous occupations than while adventuring. My earlier life was comprised of much wandering and working around much of this world, and although I probably travel more miles annually now than in my youth [15 work trips to Cabo this year alone], the travel and work is much more tame in comparison.

I had my first of my three children rather late in life [age 37], which was probably good for all parties. It was then that I gave up risk taking for the most part, as the idea to do anything else would be extremely selfish. I've long since sold my ABS whitewater canoes [I now have three kayaks, but they are for flat water paddling....mainly in the swamps, rivers and marshes where I live], and the days of soloing class 6 whitewater runs are becoming memories that are fading along with the muscles that propelled me.

Now I will still take in the spiritual tonic of contemplating in the dark while in the back of a cave....in fact I recommend it, especially in the cenotes of the Yucatan....the water is clean and the temps are warm and cozy.

I almost bought into an ecovillage outside of Playa del Carmen a few years back....Pueblo Sacbe [its worth a google]....but ended up buying a bunch of river swamp in south ga.

My earlier post was playfully poking fun at some who believe that the Sedona area, Mayan ruins etc, are interconnected 'power points', where one can channel all sorts of things. I tried and failed and then went on a more sensible quest for mucho cervesa...con limon por favor!

I don't know what this all means anymore than I know what golf, mystics and spirituality means.

But along these lines, and as I've told my friend Peter P, I would much rather prefer to think of my cup as half full [of spirits] than half empty. ;)  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 07:05:19 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Dan Kelly

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »
Here in Chicago, it's getting close to gutter cleaning season.  Despite the snowballs chance in hell anything happens, there is no fricking way in hell I'm ever getting up there...one of the Werner kids, from Werner ladders, is an old friend.  The stories I hear about product liability lawsuits because some schmoe gets on a ladder and ruins his family's well being because he wanted to do something himself are sickening.

I imagine some might have missed the news about Max McGee, former Green Bay Packers great (and the answer to the trivia question "Who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl history?"), who fell to his death last week while blowing leaves from his roof.

A couple of articles:

http://www.twincities.com//ci_7238082?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com

http://www.twincities.com//ci_7306921?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2007, 11:16:43 AM »
And an Amen to Shivas...

I never got to play golf with my father -- who was a pretty decent player -- because he shattered his ankle falling from a ladder while washing windows above our driveway when I was a kid. He took a few swings after that, but couldn't enjoy the game anymore and essentially gave it up.

His father died after falling from a ladder while pruning a tree in his back yard.

Then there's Max McGee...

Stay off your roofs, folks. Stay off ladders.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kalen Braley

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2007, 11:46:32 AM »
lol...just to play devils advocate...

Does this mean everyone is giving up using automobiles as this is by far and away, by a huge margin the biggest cause of accidental death in America?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »
LOL?

What's so funny?

Everyone's going to die.

Many are going to die accidentally.

But falling off a ladder or a roof is a lousy way to die accidentally.

Just my opinion, of course. You should feel free to die any way you like!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:59:39 PM by Dan Kelly™ »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kalen Braley

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
LOL?

What's so funny?

Everyone's going to die.

Many are going to die accidentally.

But falling off a ladder or a roof is a lousy way to die accidentally.

Just my opinion, of course. You should feel free to die any way you like!

Doctor K?  Is that you, posting under an alias?

George Pazin

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »
Pretty sad that Time would stoop so low - but not surprising, I guess.

I know that climbing Everest and trekking  through hostile terrain is condidered the ne plus ultra of the adventuresome man, personally these days ,I'll sit at home and have a gin and tonic and let my liver deliver the answer.

Bob

One of the saddest things I've ever read was John Krakauer's account of the ill-fated Everest expedition, which appeared in Outside magazine before he fleshed it out into a book. There was one part where one of the expedition leaders was sitting on top on the world, and everyone knew he wasn't coming off the mountain, so they connected him to his wife, pregnant with their first child. Simply heartbreaking; it's hard to comprehend his decision to go there.

Kalen -

Most people have to use their cars.

Most older men do not have to climb up ladders to the roofs of their homes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:08:19 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
George,

Will all due respect, most of us only choose to use our cars out of convience and preference, not out of need.  Other options are available, but less preferrable.

paul cowley

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »
George....I've read the book and have also have spent time in the region 23 years ago....pre wife and kids.
I think the Nepalese government would be doing a humanitarian favor if they didn't issue trekking/climbing permits to anyone who wasn't single and wanted to climb above 20,000 ft in the so called dead zone.

They won't of course because its a good source of revenue in a poor country....when I was there the average length span for a Sherpa male was in the forties....not surprising for a culture where a person typically gets two baths in thier lifetime, one at birth and one at death, neither of which they remember. I would hope its risen above 50 by now that especially, as Bob says, "its become the adventuresome mans ne plus destination".....along with the resulting cash and jobs.
I hear that Namche Bazaar now has electricity at times, and a minimal health care clinic....but I'm sure its hard to get a Sherpa woman to take off anything for an exam.

Sometimes you can learn more about where you don't want to go, by going.....similar to being able to learn more from your mistakes than your successes.
I have no passion for taking my kids there.....but no regrets about my time either.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:04:12 PM by paul cowley »

Richard Boult

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31:14 PM »
All this talk of ladders reminds me, I need to climb up mine to get on the 2nd story roof and fill in some more holes in the side of my chimney... thanks to a family of acorn woodpeckers. Can't seem to get rid of 'em.

Back on topic... anyone see this? (Golf in the Kingdom - The Movie?)

Golf in the Kingdom movie promo at YouTube

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »
George....I've read the book and have also have spent time in the region 23 years ago....pre wife and kids.
I think the Nepalese government would be doing a humanitarian favor if they didn't issue trekking/climbing permits to anyone who wasn't single and wanted to climb above 20,000 ft in the so called dead zone.

They won't of course because its a good source of revenue in a poor country....when I was there the average length span for a Sherpa male was in the forties....not surprising for a culture where a person typically gets two baths in thier lifetime, one at birth and one at death, neither of which they remember. I would hope its risen above 50 by now that especially, as Bob says, "its become the adventuresome mans ne plus destination".....along with the resulting cash and jobs.
I hear that Namche Bazaar now has electricity at times, and a minimal health care clinic....but I'm sure its hard to get a Sherpa woman to take off anything for an exam.

Sometimes you can learn more about where you don't want to go, by going.....similar to being able to learn more from your mistakes than your successes.
I have no passion for taking my kids there.....but no regrets about my time either.

Paul,

I would love to meet you. Do to come to Monterey and I'll treat you to some golf and we can reminisce on some our more stooopid exploits.

Bob

paul cowley

« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:39 AM »
Bob, I will look forward to that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:35:15 AM by paul cowley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back