News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Re:Who's opening what in 2007? 2008? 2009?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2007, 05:29:47 PM »
Another project we have that will debut in 2008 is Army Navy CC in Washington DC.  It is a 54 hole renovation with sites in Arlington and Fairfax.  The first phase (9 holes at Arlington) will be open next July.  Although I was landlocked in a very tight site, I was able to institute some strategy with cross hazards and carry hazards in place of trees.  I also eliminated the 70's/80's look of the place and created a more golden age look.  The first series of photos are before/afters of what originally was  Red 6 hole and will now be White 3 hole:

This next hole is a short par four (White 6).  We replaced some trees on the corner of the dogleg with bunkers, creating a little urge to go for the green or at least bite off as much of the corner as possible.  Here and in the next series of photos we eliminated penalty hazards (trees) and replaced them with challenge hazards (sand bunkers):

Blue 8 is another short par four which had no future until we cleared the trees on the left, converting the directional/penalty bunkers on the left into cross hazards in the middle of the fairway.

This bunker is another cross hazard on the par five White 4 hole.  This is the new bunker look, replacing the typical bunker style of the DC area from the 70's/80's:

Greg Krueger

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »
Richard, thanks for the pictures! Looks like everything you
did makes sense. Are these private clubs or open to the
public?

Had a chance to play Raleigh C.C. this summer. Wow!
Bravo, Bravo!!!!

Tim MacEachern

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 07:13:34 PM »
The Lakes Golf Club, Ben Eoin, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia: http://www.thelakesgolfclub.ca.  Graham Cooke.  Story at http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/967112.html.  Supposed to open in 2009.

I know nothing about it other than what's presented there...

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »
Greg:

Thanks for the compliments and glad you enjoyed Raleigh CC.  Both Army Navy and Water's Edge are private.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »
The public course in my town, Blue Fox Run (originally an Al Zikorus effort called Belcompo that was tweaked about 15 years ago) is adding a new nine done by Stephen Kay's group.  They're mixing n' matching the new holes with the old, so they've updated most of the bunkers on the present 18 to make it fit a little better.  Should be decent though; I imagine the new stuff will be open next year.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Liddy

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2007, 05:30:56 AM »
Since you asked.
I am currently remodelling the 13th and 14th golf holes at the Duke’s in St Andrews which will open next year. For those who know the golf course; making the green visible on the short par 4 13th and removing the burn that runs through the middle of the 14th fairway (also remodelling the green).

I also finished a remodel of a private club, Princess Anne Country Club in Virginia Beach, Virginia, which will reopen next spring.  

Ken Fry

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
Richard Mandell,

My folks retired and moved to Smith Mountain Lake.  The changes to Water's Edge look very nice.  I remember touring the property around ten years ago thinking even then it was a nice course but in need of some changes.  Thanks for posting the photos.

Ken

Scott Weersing

Re: Who's opening what in 2007? 2008? 2009?
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Here is a new links course designed by Cal Olson in Lake Elsinore, CA:

It opens Saturday, March 8. Could it be a real links course?

http://www.linksatsummerly.com/index.php?page=golf-course

http://www.pe.com/sports/golf/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_summerly.3d3abda.html

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »
My most anticipated:

South Course at Olympia Fields - June, 2008

Barton Hills - ___ 2008 (Will?)
That was one hellacious beaver.

michael j fay

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »
Two that will lead the pack in my opinion are the Dye Course at French Lick and Dormie in Pinehurst.

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Dye courses. He is the only Architect that has three in my top fifty and ond one in the bottom ten. Tne course at French Lick will certainly be among the very best he has ever designed. It will be 7,800 yards from the tee I will never play but there will be plenty of options. He is aided by a magnificent piece of ground but he is making the course commensurate with the property. The view, the strategy and the overall theme is phenomenal. After Teeth of the Dog. The Golf Club, the Honors Course and Harbor Town I was not sure that Mr. Dye could trump his own work but what he hath wrought in French Lick may very well be his best.

Dormie is another new venue that has a wonderful palette. I saw the proposed course after the avenues were roughed in and can say honestly that this golf course uses the great rolling landscape as well as any I have seen in a long time. To add to what will be a marvelous course the man in charge of the project is saving a large piece for a second to none practice area and thirteen short holes. On an eleven hundred acre plot there will only be around 250 building sites, most if not all, well away from the golf grounds. I have played a few Crenshaw and Coore layouts and I feel that the finished project will dwarf anything in the Pinehurst area since the final version of # 2 in 1936.

I do not often get excited about new courses (to me a new course is anything built after 1934) but these two will surely catch the attention of all golf enthusiasts.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Jeoff Doerr had a thread a while back on courses opening in the Pacific NW>
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33498.0.html

Jack Nicklaus/Jack Nicklaus II website has Paradise Ranch Resort scheduled to open in Sep. 2008. It is near Grants Pass, OR.

EDIT: Paradise Ranch is 2/3 complete. Opening is now pencilled in for mid-summer 2009.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:39:20 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Scott Weersing

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:27 PM »
Here is the new Fazio course in Truckee, CA that opens in June 2008.

Martis Camp
http://www.martiscamp.com/pages/amenities/golf.aspx

Will MacEwen

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »
The Greg Norman design "Cliffs at Maple Bay" on Vancouver Island was supposed to open this spring, but I have been advised that it is now "probably next year". 

Will E

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
Jeff-
Sorry for the delayed response.
I'm really proud of the work that was accomplished at Barton Hills last fall. Ron Prichard oversaw a very talented team that worked non stop to get as much done as possible before the winter hit. There's still a lot to be done, but it's well on it's way to being an incredible course. It will be interesting to see the response by the membership. As you know some of the changes were very dramatic. Most of the work was completed on the front nine and it really has a "big" feel to it.
Now if the weather ever shapes up I'll head north and give you a review on how it plays.
The women are in for a treat this fall in the USGA Mid Am. Hopefully Sandy will get her game in shape by then!

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2008, 07:10:51 PM »
At the risk of sounding unaware of what classic and/or significant architecture means:

When does Tiger's course at The Cliffs open?

I have no idea what to expect, but will be curious.

WW

Jfaspen

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »
I'm curious about the work done at Barton Hills.. I've been hearing great things..

Michael Dugger

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2008, 11:18:09 PM »
Since it is the future home of Jordan Wall, Palouse Ridge will be opening in Pullman, WA.

Harbottle III course.  It looks pretty sweet.....

http://palouseridge.wsu.edu/
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2008, 11:54:39 PM »
Michael,

It looks great! Maybe a road trip to pull Jordan out of school in the future. It would tie in well with a Northern Idaho trip.

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Lester George

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
Langley Air Force Base-Raptor(named after the new F-22 fighter) opened Friday 25th

Rock Manor in Wilmington opens to the public tomorrow.  I'll be there if any GCA'ers want to stop by. 

Lester

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »
Delaware has 2 new courses opening:

Odessa National- originally a Gil Hanse project, this course will open sometime this summer:

Odessa on track to open this summer

Public course's grow-in stage almost complete

By BRAD MYERS
The News Journal

Joe Gulotti is certainly doing more than just sitting back and watching the grass grow, but the heavy lifting is finished at Odessa National Golf Club.

Gulotti is a golf course superintendent for Evergreen Turf, the company handling the course's grow-in stage. He said the public course, located off Fieldsboro Road about two miles south of Odessa as part of the Odessa National housing development, is on track to open this summer.

"We're pushing for a July 4 weekend opening, but sometime between July 4 and Labor Day is probably more realistic," Gulotti said Wednesday. "All of the turf is in -- the greens, fairways and tees. The rough is a little spotty, but it's coming along. We just basically have some touch-up work to do."

The course was designed by architect Joel Weiman and built by McDonald & Sons, a Jessup, Md.-based golf course construction firm that has done renovation work on many of the nation's most prestigious courses, including Augusta National, Congressional, Merion, Oakmont and Winged Foot.

Gulotti also worked through the grow-in stage at The Club at Patriots Glen in Elkton, Md., in 2001 and at Glen Riddle Golf Club, another McDonald & Sons project in Berlin, Md., in 2006-07. He said the Odessa National course will be unique to the area.

"It's an excellent layout. It's very different from the other courses here in the Middletown area," Gulotti said. "It's undulating, has some nice changes in elevation, and it's got a lot of trees. We've got an eagle's nest on the 15th hole right now. There is a lot of wildlife out here."

Rock Manor as mentioned above is a Lester George project. It opened yesterday in bad weather:

www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008804260338

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »
That is a strange name for a public golf course -- Odessa National?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »
Tom,

Odessa is a small town in Delaware named after the Russian/Ukrainian city of the same name.

There are way too many "National" courses in the country. I guess developers want the prestige of the word. My former club in suburban Philadelphia, Commonwealth National, at least had a plan for cottages for national corporate members. Needless to say, they were never built. There is now a Delaware National GC, formerly known as Hercules CC, Jericho National in Bucks County and countless others across the country, all of which do not have the prestige of "The National" as ANGC is sometimes called or NGLA.

Strangely enough, the new C&C Colorado GC(not Colorado National GC) offers national memberships and is building cottages.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Greg Tallman

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
Seems C&C may have a Cabo offering possibly for late 2009

Adam_Messix

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »
I rode through Odessa National after attending a nearby wedding last week.  My guess is that the course will be ready in August, it still looked a little rough in spots.  I enjoyed Wieman's work at Uplands and hope ON will be of similar quality.

This is the first I've heard to Gil Hanse's former involvement in the project.

There may be another course near Odessa National some day.  Jim Furyk and Allen Liddicoat are doing a course for the St. Anne's Club on the other side of Middletown that has had it's construction delayed.  I enjoyed the other two courses that are part of St. Annes (Back Creek and Frog Hollow) and hope the new course opens some day. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2008, 07:42:06 PM »
Earlier I had reported the Nicklaus Paradise Ranch course near Grants Pass, Oregon was going to open summer 2008. I just ran across a newspaper article which said it was 68% complete, with an expected opening in mid-summer 2009.

There has been a slight delay in the opening of David McLay Kidd's Teherow course in Bend, Oregon. The grand opening date is now Saturday, July 26th.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:50:24 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back