News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Bolls

Re:What is the average handicap of a Golf Club Atlas poster?
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »
Avid Golfer - 14.1

George Pazin

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
I think the correlation here is the lower the post count, the lower the index.  These guys must be spending their time practicing and not posting.

FWIW, I don't have an official index either.  So Mr. Wagner, I'll take 2 a side.  ;)

Cheers,
Brad

Don't know, don't care. Kept score briefly at an easy muni, haven't kept score since 1) knee injury and 2) birth of son, most important event of my life.

#11 poster, #1489 golfer, proving Brad's point. The only reason I even posted was I figured someone out there is bitchin'....

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Foley

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2007, 05:05:51 PM »
Avid golfer - 12.2

The only reason I keep an index is for a few matches a year I play w/ some friends who like the action.

I too am amazed by the # of low numbers and if you think about many of the well known's on here, their numbers would drive it even lower.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Pitner

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
Other Golfer

Index 1.8

...and found out last year it snows in Denver.

That heaping line of crap about year round play still gets to me.

agreed, but I had a 10 month season (i'll play as long as the courses are open) both years I've been here, which could be worse (could be better).  speaking of which, i better play today, because they are saying it may snow here tomorrow.

Come on, gentlemen--last year's winter was the worst I can remember (in my 12 years in Denver).  There's golf to be had in the late fall and winter.  

Eric Olsen

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »

avid golfer  and not happy about my inability to get it down.
That said, shot79 today (SS69) first tie under 80 So after going back up this year I may finally have turned the corner. (I can hope. :'()
Let's make GCA grate again!

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2007, 08:37:24 PM »
An avid 16.8  :'(

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2007, 08:45:59 PM »
Avid (competitive) college golfer.  Index of 0.3, but the way I've been playing of late, you'd very likely take my money :P.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Colton

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2007, 08:58:29 PM »
Avid golfer, 2.2

Brock Peyer

« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »
I am currently and 7 but on a mission to improve but I only get to play 12 times a year, with that being said, I am still an avid golfer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:02:04 PM by Brock Peyer »

Jesse Jones

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2007, 09:05:55 PM »
Avid-10

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2007, 09:15:43 PM »
Other Golfer

Index 1.8

...and found out last year it snows in Denver.

That heaping line of crap about year round play still gets to me.

agreed, but I had a 10 month season (i'll play as long as the courses are open) both years I've been here, which could be worse (could be better).  speaking of which, i better play today, because they are saying it may snow here tomorrow.

Come on, gentlemen--last year's winter was the worst I can remember (in my 12 years in Denver).  There's golf to be had in the late fall and winter.  

I guess I should be patient , with this being my second year in Denver. Although I am anxious to see the conditions tomoorow for the Rox game. 42-45 degrees with light winds is about as low as I will go when it comes to golf.

Greg Clark

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2007, 11:47:59 PM »
If once a week qualifies as avid then that's me.
5.3 index.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2007, 12:07:15 AM »
It is interesting to see all these incredibly low handicaps.

I may be wrong, but the only members of this august site that I have seen that have played with me at CPC and MPCC that scored anywhere near their potential were as follows.

Lou Duran was four under after the fourteenth at CPC, a phenominal performance. His caddie steered him wrong at the 15th and his 9 iron was over the green by the water cooler. A couple of holes later his score was under water. Joel Stewart, Tom Huckaby and Mike Benham were equally adept at playing to their index, but on the whole I cannot think of anyone else that impressed. My friend from New Zealand, Ash Towe, did well, but I was not there to witness it. There are others that played at Cypress but were unaccompanied and I did not check the scores.

If I have slighted others who played the Point do forgive me, at my age the memory synapses close at the most inopportune moments.

Bob

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2007, 12:24:50 AM »

I may be wrong, but the only members of this august site that I have seen that have played with me at CPC and MPCC that scored anywhere near their potential were as follows.

Lou Duran was four under after the fourteenth at CPC, a phenominal performance. His caddie steered him wrong at the 15th and his 9 iron was over the green by the water cooler. A couple of holes later his score was under water. Joel Stewart, Tom Huckaby and Mike Benham were equally adept at playing to their index, but on the whole I cannot think of anyone else that impressed. My friend from New Zealand, Ash Towe, did well, but I was not there to witness it. There are others that played at Cypress but were unaccompanied and I did not check the scores.

If I have slighted others who played the Point do forgive me, at my age the memory synapses close at the most inopportune moments.

Bob

Bob

The USGA system is an interesting one - the average of the best 10 from your last 20 POSTED scores. This year I have only posted 8 scores. We play match play, I'm out of the hole - I pick up, or I play alone and lose a ball with a group pressing behind.. how can one legitimately post a score after this sort of round? The USGA wants me to, I know, but I can't.  Even on a good year, I rarely post more than 25 rounds.
So it says that I 'm a 5.9. I'm sure I'd be really happy to break 80 at CP.  My usual round this year is 3-6 over for 9 (I prefer to play nine every day to 18 a few times a week) so I feel like about a 10 handicap. What can I do about it? Short of fabricating scores to get  my handicap to where I think it should be...
2 years ago I was 5.2. I qualified for the MA Mid Am (about which I am still really excited, as I was out of my depth)  I was playing, mostly, about 5 strokes a round better than I did this year. Not 0.7 as the handicaps suggest.
I have had injuries, recently, which have meant that I've played less than I would have liked, but still... something isn't working.

Lester George

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2007, 01:02:32 AM »
Jeff Brauer and I can not be beat, no matter our handicaps.  

Sorry, for the puffery, it's just the facts.

Lester

Jason Topp

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2007, 01:18:21 AM »
avid golfer 5.6

Ash Towe

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2007, 02:10:57 AM »
4.1 Avid golfer
My day at Cypress was one of the best.  Great weather, company, caddie anda phenominal course.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2007, 07:47:06 AM »
Golf Course Supt..

HCP Index History
Date Index
10/10/07  7.7  
9/19/07  7.1  
9/5/07  7.8  
8/22/07  8.0  
8/8/07  10.4  
7/25/07  11.5  
7/11/07  15.7  
6/27/07  15.7  
6/13/07  17.7  
5/30/07  18.2  
5/16/07  18.2  
5/2/07  18.2  
4/18/07  18.2  

Rounds this Year:  45  

Steve Kline

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2007, 07:56:16 AM »
Last year I played 40 rounds and was anywhere from a 0 to 2. Most of those rounds came in two really big bunches on golf trips. This year I've posted 90 rounds so far with at least 6 more to come in Pinehurst later this month. Therefore, the handicap dropped anywhere from +4 to +2. The 90 rounds have been much more consistently played this year - coming about twice a week with a few golf trips thrown in. Like someone else said I plaed a ton of golf as a kid and college golf for a couple of years so even if I take a month off I'll probably still shoot in the 70s. However, I almost never practice so for me to play consistently well I need to get on the course on a regular basis.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2007, 08:29:51 AM »

Bob

Bob,
   Are you really surprised by this?  I would guess not, as this phenomenon could be explained in several ways all relating to handicap and potential performance, including what Lloyd mentions above.

People totally geeked-out to play the round of a lifetime rarely play to their potential, and playing to your potential is what the handicap system is all about.  I'm guessing these same folks wouldn't play to their handicap when the opportunity to play Pine Valley, National, Shinnecock, etc. comes around either.  Its interesting that you mention 3 locals as guy that played to their index.  I'm sure they are all excellent players, but I'd also bet they have visited CP more than once or at the very least know in the back of their mind they're going to get another shot at it, unlike most.

Its funny that the legend of Lou Duran and his round at Cypress Point had me shaking in my boots when I drew him for singles match play at Paa Ko Ridge on the GCA Land of Enchantment Tour, playing from the tips (7600+ yds).  That was a legendary 4/5 of a round for sure.

Cheers,
Brad

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2007, 08:49:29 AM »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Cory Lewis

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2007, 08:51:51 AM »
Golf industry/Golf Professional

Handicap:

in the summer when I work all the time: about 4

in the winter when I have time to practice/play: +1
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2007, 09:05:20 AM »
Don't play much these days, up to a 1.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
Jeff Brauer and I can not be beat, no matter our handicaps.  

Sorry, for the puffery, it's just the facts.

Lester
Jeff and I beat you at Sand Hills though... ;)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back