News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

What is the average handicap of a Golf Club Atlas poster?
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »
Im not sure if this has been explored before. When reading some content of posts on here regarding scores shot, distances achieved, design features and the impact on playing holes, I often wonder what the average handicap of people contributing here is. Based on some of the comments posted, I get the feeling that overall most people on board are fairly accomplished golfers with many being of extremely high calibre.

If so, does this lend itself to a hypothesis that a player is better able to appreciate the design and architecture of a course if they are confident of there own abilities and not more concerned with making reasonable contact with the ball. i.e battling the course and not your own game.

If this hasnt been done before, I think it would be an interesting exercise to establish the average handicap of people on this site. The more replies, the more accurate the representation. Also interested in peoples predictions.

If you are interested, please reply with your handicap details. Also, please indicate which group you fall into:
- Architect
- Golf course staff (Super, 2IC, Greenkeeper etc)
- Professional or coach
- avid golfer
- other

I predict the average to be around 8 or 9.

Me: Golf course staff, handicap 1

Bart Bradley

Re:What is the average handicap of a Golf Club Atlas poster?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:12:56 PM »
avid golfer, index 7.3

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
avid golfer - +1.9

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »
avid golfer on forced medical sabatical - 5.9
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:31:01 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »
I'd be surprised if the average of responses comes out more than 5-6.  Those who are higher aren't as likely to respond.  But besides that, I think you have it right - there are a lot of low handicappers among the regular participants here.

other (can't say avid golfer as that would be lying - I'm an avid soccer coach and watcher of kids' sports - I'm a whenever the hell let they me play golfer)

3.1 index

Tom H.

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 03:35:13 PM »
Avid Golfer

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:43:57 PM »
avid, 9.8 (and going higher)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:47:56 PM »
I can be anywhere from a 1 to a 10, as most of you know, so that puts me at around a 5 cap.

My index is 1.4

Phil Benedict

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 03:48:18 PM »
3.4 index.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:48:41 PM by Phil Benedict »

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »
15 (?)

I have actually never had a USGA handicap.  When I played in an industry outing recently I reported my handicap as 13.  I know I can not currently play to a 13, but I thought it was fair to be conservative on this guestimate.  So I likely will even have some difficulty playing to a 15, but this is closer to the accurate number.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »
I am double digits and as Huck says a little ashamed to post it in here.  Needless to say I've gotten 4 strokes worse this year alone... :-[

Bruce Katona

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
golf industry
9.8 index

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »
Golf Course Superintendent
Handicap- 4
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Stan Dodd

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
Avid golfer 6.9

BVince

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »
I am a 1.2 but its rising...I play like a 2-3
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:02:13 PM by Bryon Vincent »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »
Grant - if you really are going to calculate an average, please delete wise-ass shivas, who is a 26 like I'm Tiger Woods.

Billsteele

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »
Other (more like Lovable Rogue) 11.1 index

Grant Saunders

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 04:06:24 PM »
"I am double digits and as Huck says a little ashamed to post it in here.  Needless to say I've gotten 4 strokes worse this year alone...  "

Kalen, and others

Please post as this only works if we get the full range of people adding to this. There is nothing to be ashamed of as handicap is irrelevant to appreciation of golf course architecture. If only low figure players reply it will not be an accurate average.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 04:06:59 PM »
Golf Industry
Index: 4.0 and rising up the charts!

Mike Wagner

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 04:09:14 PM »
2. avid.  Not to be a golf snob (I am), but I can't believe there's even 1 person on this site without an established handicap.  Without one, I'm not sure you can even categorize yourself as a golfer - kind of like an extra in a movie calliong themselves an actor.  How hard is it?  Pay your dues and get one.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »
Former Tournament Director at Largest Private Club in the U.S. ~ Now in Software Sales and making a HELL of alot more $$$  ;)

Currently: 6.0 Index
Annual Low: 2.8 when I was playing a bunch of tournaments during this summer back in the midwest... DAMN you, Desert/Target Golf! ;D
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »
"I am double digits and as Huck says a little ashamed to post it in here.  Needless to say I've gotten 4 strokes worse this year alone...  "

Kalen, and others

Please post as this only works if we get the full range of people adding to this. There is nothing to be ashamed of as handicap is irrelevant to appreciation of golf course architecture. If only low figure players reply it will not be an accurate average.

Fair enough,

In the name of a scientific poll on GCA... I'm a 17.2, but was a 13.2 earlier in the year.  I consider myself an avid golfer, just in dire need of a swing coach so it would seem.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:13:11 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tony Petersen

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
After taking a look at the posted indexes, and having played with more than a few of the GCA.com crew, I have a strong suspicion that some of us have fell victim to the "ego" handicap that's lower than it should be ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »
TonyP:  that's harsh.  OH, I'd guess lots of us fall prey to the "not playing up to our indices at GCA outings" syndrome - I know I have - and that can happen for a lot of reasons:  bad day, no practice, handicap is low and never changes because you post so few rounds, many other things.

But "ego handicap" connotes artificially lowering such... I sure hope no one here does that.  I've yet to meet anyone I'd even suspect of that.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back