News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl David

Re:Osprey Meadows
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 12:13:22 PM »
I have signed up.  Doing my no-rain dance this week.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
Played Osprey Meadows last year and this year.  I really enjoy the course.  The 18th is a bit different this year because some of the trees on the right inside corner of the dogleg came down.  It opens up the option of blasting your second shot past the layup area up near the green.  I like #18 quite a bit, completely different strategy with the layup situation than other par 5s.

I agree on not knowing where to hit your tee shot on #4.  I don't know if they raised the elevation on the tee box more if that would help or not, but we spent a few mintues studying our yardage book and look at the actual hole from the tee trying to figure out what was what and where to hit.  Love the hole though.  I've played it to the right fairway both times and gone for the green in two.

The collection of par 3s is great and Lake Cascade and the Tamarack trees as a setting area great.  Behind Black Rock, Tamarack is my favorite course in Idaho - although I have a love affair with Circling Raven as well.

Tony Dear

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 02:46:28 AM »
I just checked in to see if there had been any interesting comments made in response to my question about Osprey Meadows and discovered that the Seattle lot had turned it into something very different; worst/best holes in the PNW which, let's face it, is a far more interesting subject.
The worst hole I've played up here is the 13th (I think) at Trilogy in Redmond. It's a downhill par 4 with a sharp drop at about 280. The green is in a bowl way below the level of the fairway. The problems are 1) You can't hit a driver off the tee for fear of running out of fairway and ending up in the crap beyond it, and 2) The green is so far below you, you can't see it from the fairway. I have no problem with blind shots, but this just doesn't work.
Again, the hole might look and play totally differently for golfers like Jordan, Sean and Sean all of whom, I understand, are a bit tasty (well, I know Sean Leary is)...and me who isn't. You chaps probably knock it on the green with a 3-iron.
The best hole is either the 4th or 12th at Circling Raven. I was just there last week. Man, I love that course. I'm also pretty fond of the 7th at WA National - great little par 4, and the 17th at Chambers Bay which is undoubtedly the best par 3 in Tacoma.
Cheers,
Tony
Tony

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
Dear Tony,

Your swing is near perfect in form. Swing harder.

Regards,
Sean

John Kirk

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »
Reehoorn with two zeroes.  Got it.

I played Aldarra with one of our guys.  I liked 11 and 12 OK.  Tough course.  144 slope from the white tees!

I nominate #9 and #10 from the Oregon Golf Club as local favorites for worst hole in the great Northwest.

Tony Dear

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »
I can't Sean. I'd fall flat on my face. I've the balance of a new born calf. And my poor old back. Golf hurts...mentally and physically. I just wish I didn't love the game so much.
Tony

Jordan Wall

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 11:15:55 AM »
I just checked in to see if there had been any interesting comments made in response to my question about Osprey Meadows and discovered that the Seattle lot had turned it into something very different; worst/best holes in the PNW which, let's face it, is a far more interesting subject.
The worst hole I've played up here is the 13th (I think) at Trilogy in Redmond. It's a downhill par 4 with a sharp drop at about 280. The green is in a bowl way below the level of the fairway. The problems are 1) You can't hit a driver off the tee for fear of running out of fairway and ending up in the crap beyond it, and 2) The green is so far below you, you can't see it from the fairway. I have no problem with blind shots, but this just doesn't work.
Again, the hole might look and play totally differently for golfers like Jordan, Sean and Sean all of whom, I understand, are a bit tasty (well, I know Sean Leary is)...and me who isn't. You chaps probably knock it on the green with a 3-iron.
The best hole is either the 4th or 12th at Circling Raven. I was just there last week. Man, I love that course. I'm also pretty fond of the 7th at WA National - great little par 4, and the 17th at Chambers Bay which is undoubtedly the best par 3 in Tacoma.
Cheers,
Tony

HA!

The 13th at Trilogy.  I hit hybrid about 270 off the tee and a 7-iron from about 200 out the only time I ever played.  Made double bogey.  Airmailed the green with the approach, and about airmailed the landing area too, which is about 15 yards wide.  It is by far the worst hole hole I have EVER (!) played.  Its terrible to the extreme. I mean, it was cool to hit the ball that far, but completely stupid at the same time.  But really, the hole is awful at best.  

The 7th at WA National is a good hole, albeit played where you can have a go at the green.  The only time I went to the way back tees there, I had no shot of even clearing the water, which made the hole really boring for me.  From 280 or so, it is a pretty darn good hole though.  The pitch from left to the green over the bunkers is a tough one!

John,

I think Aldarra is easier than the slope and rating indicate.  The fairways are generous, its not a long course, and the greens arent too tough to read, though there are some holes that pretty much force a bogey if you hit it in the wrong spot.  There are some long carries, but once you get past those I find the course very playable, and pretty seceptible to scoring.

But, its the type of course where every round there are going to be some really high numbers and some low numbers too.  Two weeks ago my friend made every number from 2 through 8 in his first round there.  The course just requires precision, to the extreme at some points.

Daryl David

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
Aldarra an easy course?  Ask the 90 or so amateurs that played in the qualifier for the US AM.  No one broke par in good weather.  It may not be extra hard from the shorter tees, but it is a beast from the back.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 12:25:07 PM »
Aldarra an easy course?  Ask the 90 or so amateurs that played in the qualifier for the US AM.  No one broke par in good weather.  It may not be extra hard from the shorter tees, but it is a beast from the back.

No, not easy.
Just easier than the slope and rating indicate.
From the reputation it has from the way people that talk about it, the course is much less of a bear then some may think, imo.

But, I've never tipped it out.  However, all the holes are reasonable from the back tee markers, at 6800 yards.  I mean, severe misses are definitely punished a lot, but with the fairways providing ample width there is room to miss as well.

I wonder if Sean (either one) has tipped it out?
Does it really play that much harder?
I know I have tipped out 16 once, for fun, with a second ball, and the hole was a ton harder.  Maybe its that much harder on most holes?

When I played with Reehoorn a couple months ago I dont think he had any more than a 7-iron into any green, except the par threes, from the 6800 set.

But no matter the difficulty of the course, I love it and it is one of my favorite places to play in the PNW.  Sometimes I am probably over critical of courses, but if I'm being honest Aldarra is one of my two favorite courses to play in the state.  I dont know if it's one of the two best courses in the state, but I've never had a round there I haven't enjoyed, even when playing poorly.

Tony Dear

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
For heaven's sake, Aldarra Aldarra Aldarra, yadda yadda yadda. I played with Joe Caranza at Tumble Creek last year and he blabbed on about how good it (Aldarra) was the whole round. And Sean L. spoke about it at Tumble Creek this year.

Will someone just please invite me down there for a game (not the classiest or most appropriate way to blag an invite I know, but you lot made me do it!)

Cheers,
Tony
Tony

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
For heaven's sake, Aldarra Aldarra Aldarra, yadda yadda yadda. I played with Joe Caranza at Tumble Creek last year and he blabbed on about how good it (Aldarra) was the whole round. And Sean L. spoke about it at Tumble Creek this year.

Will someone just please invite me down there for a game (not the classiest or most appropriate way to blag an invite I know, but you lot made me do it!)

Cheers,
Tony

Believe the hype.  I played Aldarra two years ago and LOVED it!  Easily my favorite course in Washington.  

Sean Leary

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:11 PM »

No, not easy.
Just easier than the slope and rating indicate.
From the reputation it has from the way people that talk about it, the course is much less of a bear then some may think, imo.

But, I've never tipped it out.  However, all the holes are reasonable from the back tee markers, at 6800 yards.  I mean, severe misses are definitely punished a lot, but with the fairways providing ample width there is room to miss as well.

I wonder if Sean (either one) has tipped it out?
Does it really play that much harder?
I know I have tipped out 16 once, for fun, with a second ball, and the hole was a ton harder.  Maybe its that much harder on most holes?

When I played with Reehoorn a couple months ago I dont think he had any more than a 7-iron into any green, except the par threes, from the 6800 set.

But no matter the difficulty of the course, I love it and it is one of my favorite places to play in the PNW.  Sometimes I am probably over critical of courses, but if I'm being honest Aldarra is one of my two favorite courses to play in the state.  I dont know if it's one of the two best courses in the state, but I've never had a round there I haven't enjoyed, even when playing poorly.

It is an absolute monster from the tips. For me it plays 4-5 shots harder.  That is where John Kirk and I played when he was here and it is simply too hard for both of us.

You cannot break 80 there (without mulligans). I guarantee it.

Tony D,

I will have you down soon, I promise.

BVince

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »
Does that apply only to Tony?  I would like to give it a run for my money ;)

TD - Have you checked out the Home Course yet?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tony Dear

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 11:37:26 PM »
Not yet Bryon. I got the media invite a few months ago but I think it was on the same day as my daughter was born so I thought it best to stay home. You played it?

I did play White Horse over on the peninsula earlier this year and really enjoyed that. Definitely worth the trip. Cynthia Dye McGarey did a really good job.

Cheers,
Tony
Tony

BVince

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2007, 11:45:55 PM »
Tony,

I played The Home Course and CB about a month ago.  The Home Course is a very fun layout but it has a few weak holes on the back nine that will hold it back.  I have a very busy few months ahead but a couple of four day weekends that I would love to travel and play a good round of golf.  We should work something out...

Bryon
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back