News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Dear

Osprey Meadows
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Played Osprey Meadows (No. 1 public course over $75 in Golf Digest) at the Tamarack Resort in Idaho last week. Despite the cold rain, I really enjoyed it. There are plenty of very good holes (5,8,9,12,13,15) but also some curious ones. I thought second time round I'd have a much better idea of where to hit my tee shot on the par 5 4th, for instance, but to be honest I stood on the tee still clueless as to what my best line might be. The same was true at the 10th and 11th holes. Surprisingly, the 18th which I'd heard had got a lot of bad press since the course opened is one of the best holes out there I reckon.
Anyone else played it?
Tony

Sean Leary

Re:Osprey Meadows
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »
Hi Tony,

I played it last year and didn't like it much at all. I am wondering if they switched the nines because I had no idea where to go on 1 or 2, and 18 might be the worst hole in the PNW. Dogleg right par 5 with a layup second shot? Brutal.

Tony Dear

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »
I understand why the 18th caused such a stir and doubtless it looks totally different to two golfers such as we - one absurdly long, the other pitifully short. In my second round, I hit a decent drive a few yards short of the first hazard, then hit a hybrid up the hill to about 60 yards short of the green. I'm certain you, or any other long hitters, could get up the hill to the green with your second. Perhaps the problem is that you can reach the first hazard too easily with your drive and are thus forced to hit a long iron off the tee which would, admittedly, make it a dumb hole.
Tony

Mike Wagner

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »
Sean,

You made me think of a potentially good thread.. "Worst Holes in the PNW"...or maybe overrated.

#1 in my book is #6 at Desert Canyon (along with most of the remaining holes out there).

Lance Rieber

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:15:57 PM »
Tony,
I played it about a month ago. I thought it was a great course for low handicaps but a bear for others.  Seems like they are going to get a lot of higher hdcp players and there were a lot of forced carries and not much room to approach the greens by landing it short. One hole that comes to mind is the par 3 6th? If you hit enough club to reach the green but bail out where you should(right) you still go into the hazard. the place for those who can't make the green is smaller than the green itself. I  actually felt Jug Mountain was a much better course. Tamarack was pretty and I had a great time, still unsure like you said on lines for the tee shot.  Still a good course but nothing to spectacular.
Lance    

igrowgrass

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »
Sean,

You made me think of a potentially good thread.. "Worst Holes in the PNW"...or maybe overrated.

#1 in my book is #6 at Desert Canyon (along with most of the remaining holes out there).

The Worst Hole in the PNW is at Eaglemont, the downhill hole, #4(thats what number it was when I last played it)

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 11:28:25 PM »
Sean,

4 at Eaglemont is way better than this hole. Eaglemont is a joke, but this hole is absurd..

igrowgrass

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:37:56 PM »
Wow, can't imagine anything could be worse than that.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:52:34 PM »
Seans,
Nothing there on Port Ludlow Trail?
My nomination would have been the par 5 8th at Mountain High in Bend, but it is a NLE. One time I saw a perfect drive to the middle of the turn point, a 45 degree turn of direction and sand wedge 2nd shot to the next turn point, then back to the original direction with a mid-iron. Tall trees blocked the insides of both doglegs.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 12:14:40 AM »
Wow, can't imagine anything could be worse than that.

I loooove 220 yard 7-irons.
 :D

My nomination...

#10 at Echo Falls.
The course would be better as 17 holes...

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Sean,

Mike,

6 at DC was Ok until the ball start going so far. Quite a vista from that tee though.

Jordan,

Echo Falls isn't really a golf course. Pretend like it doesn't exist.

Peter,

That nine at PL is horrific. Too hard to pick a worst hole there.

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:00:48 AM »
Oh man, this is times like these that one truly appreciates the group here at GCA...

I CANNOT STAND Port Ludlow (especially Trail). Whoever thinks having a lateral hazard on the left and out of bounds on right (both just off the fairway) should never be allowed to design another golf course. I am so happy to see that others agree. I just get so annoyed when I see Port Ludlow ads that touts itself as "one of the highest rated" golf course in Washington (by WHOM?).

Same goes for Eaglement. It is just a silly silly course where a designer seems to reach for the ridiculous every chance he has.

I can also name at least half dozen holes at Kayak Point as "over-rated". Especially if you do not like holes where there is absolutely no choice off the tee (yes, I am not a fan of severe dog legs 200 yards out either).

Mike Wagner

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
Sean,

#4 at Eaglemont is terrible indeed.  Interesting, as the next hole (gradual dogleg left) is a great hole.  Worst/best combo in the NW.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 03:47:39 PM »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 06:16:23 PM »
Sean,

#4 at Eaglemont is terrible indeed.  Interesting, as the next hole (gradual dogleg left) is a great hole.  Worst/best combo in the NW.

No, no, no, sorry.

#5 isn't all that good of a hole, unless you compare it to the other 17 on the course.

The best/worst combo has got to be 9 (good) and 10 (bad) at WA National.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »
Jordan,

You're off your rocker.  Tell me what's not to like about #5...

The WA National combo doesn't spark me as great vs. absolutely awful.  Keep trying.

By the way, we need to get out w/ Reehoorn.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »
Jordan,

You're off your rocker.  Tell me what's not to like about #5...

The WA National combo doesn't spark me as great vs. absolutely awful.  Keep trying.

By the way, we need to get out w/ Reehoorn.

OB and houses the entire length of the fairway right, and hazard left the entire hole.
Anything off the fairway is either in the bunker or ob.

Its just so weird.

10 is pretty bad at WA National.

If you are truly looking for awful and great, go for 13 and 14 at Seattle CC.
Not many have played it, but those who have know that 13 is the weakest hole on the course and 14 the best.

igrowgrass

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 12:33:33 AM »
12 at Aldarra its not a bad hole, but its to easy of a Par 5, then 13 is a great par 3.  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 12:40:46 AM »
Sean,

12 is very ho hum...
13 is...very ho hum

14 is good though.

So what about 13/14 as opposed to 12/13?

Actually, now that you bring up Aldarra, I'd venture to say 4 is a ho-hum hole and 3 is a great hole.  That would work better than 13/14.  13 is less ho-hum than 4, because at least there is some strategy and a nice view on 13.  That counts for more than anything 4 has offer...blahhh.

4 should be on Sahalee (not necessarily a good thing), and has no strategy.  

So 3 and 4 at Aldarra get my final vote for that course.

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
Sean,

12 is very ho hum...
13 is...very ho hum

14 is good though.

Actually, now that you bring up Aldarra, I'd venture to say 4 is a ho-hum hole and 3 is a great hole.  That would work better than 13/14.  13 is less ho-hum than 4, because at least there is some strategy and a nice view on 13.  That counts for more than anything 4 has offer...blahhh.

Jordan,

13 is ho hum? What is wrong with you. If Reehorn would turnoff the friggin water  ;)it would be one of the top par 3's around.

11 is the worst hole, not 12, but both holes mar a solid routing considering the land. Regardless, you shouldnt be talking worst anything when it comes to that course.  It is solid soup to nuts.

Daryl David

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »
If we could just get Reehorn to turn off the water, stop the rain and turn up the heat, we would really be talking.  All he needs to do is to get Aldarra to the color of a toasted biscuit and he would be my hero!   8)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 11:21:21 PM »
Sean,

12 is very ho hum...
13 is...very ho hum

14 is good though.

Jordan,

13 is ho hum? What is wrong with you. If Reehorn would turnoff the friggin water  ;)it would be one of the top par 3's around.

11 is the worst hole, not 12, but both holes mar a solid routing considering the land. Regardless, you shouldnt be talking worst anything when it comes to that course.  It is solid soup to nuts.

Sean,

I know.
My post was more or less to top the other Sean.
He didn't think I could do it.  But I did.
Apparently I got you too.

But really, I dont like 4 all that much.  I'm a fan of 13, I like 12 because its so easy, and 11 has a super green.  I just had to respond to Sean somewhat smartassish (per his request).

Cheers

Mike Wagner

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 12:15:20 AM »
Jordan,

You're too young, but #13 at Seattle used to be much more fun when you could go over the trees.  What's so wrong with that hole anyway?  I'm not a hugs fan, but I think it presents entertaining challenges.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 01:23:27 AM »
Jordan,

You're too young, but #13 at Seattle used to be much more fun when you could go over the trees.  What's so wrong with that hole anyway?  I'm not a hugs fan, but I think it presents entertaining challenges.

Mike,

About six weeks ago, in August, I played the blues and flew the little gap in the trees to have 50 yards into that green.  It's easiest to do from the blacks though, as you can get more hieght on the ball.  As it is though, clearing the trees isnt really a feasible option off the tee, even for pros.

And, the hole has no real strategy in my eye.  Its a 90-degree dogleg, where you hit a 3-iron, then mid-iron every time.  The green is one of the dullest on the course, though it is almost skyline which is neat.   Just the fact that the tee shot is a forced layup, to the same place every time, makes it a weak hole in my opinion, because there is no real advantage placing your ball in one spot of the fairway versus the other, so long as you hit it far enough.  Plus, the bunkers on the outside of the dogleg are so weird.  Why not remove some trees on the inside of the dogleg and put the hunkers there, creating some risk reward?

And, what do you think of 14?
Its perhaps my favorite hole on the course.

igrowgrass

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 01:13:47 AM »
Sean,

12 is very ho hum...
13 is...very ho hum

14 is good though.

Jordan,

Sean,

I know.
My post was more or less to top the other Sean.
He didn't think I could do it.  But I did.
Apparently I got you too.

But really, I dont like 4 all that much.  I'm a fan of 13, I like 12 because its so easy, and 11 has a super green.  I just had to respond to Sean somewhat smartassish (per his request).

Cheers

Just so you know.  Its Reehoorn, with two 0's.  
Leary and David are you playing in the closing day scramble?

Sean

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back