GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Women's National Golf & Tennis Club

<< < (9/9)

JMorgan:

TEPaul:
"It's amazing he isn't more heralded.  He designed courses back in the early 1890s thru almost the next 40 years."

MikeC:

What did he design in the early 1890s?

I thought his first course was Island Golf Links (Garden City CC) which apparently began to be layed out in 1897. After that I think all his other courses were in the 20th century.

But I don't know why he isn't either more heralded or at least given credit for being perhaps the first over here to actually design and build what may be defined as the first good golf architecture over here.

Something tells me Emmet and Leeds may've been the first over here with that.

And if that's true, one sure does need to ask where they got their architectural ideas. I'd think it had to be in the linksland or heathlands.

But if it was the latter one also needs to ask if Emmet or Leeds did some really good INLAND architecture even before Willie Park Jr did?     ;)

JMorgan:

Robert Mercer Deruntz:
I posted new pictures of holes 13-17.  Due to the rolling terrain, it is difficult to get a very good picture of the 18th, which could be one of the best finishing holes on Long Island.
Also, they have hired an architect to rework the bunkers.  He is the same guy who recently rebuilt the disasterous Century bunkers--Harvey.  Perhaps someone knows about this architect.

Sean_Tully:
What was the name of the first all ladies golf club that was started in 1895 on Staten Island? It was a nine hole course in West New-Brighton.

Tully

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version