GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Women's National Golf & Tennis Club

<< < (5/9) > >>

JMorgan:

Chris_Blakely:
JMorgan,

Please reread my post, I never said Tull was involved with this or any other Emmet designs.  However, he was involved in some redesign long after Emmet had passed, I think it was in the last 60's.  But, As for Tull not being involved in any orginal designs of Emmet, the bunkering on Emmet's courses sure became Tull-esque in the early 30's and less in the line of play.

Wayne,

I do not have anything about Flynn's work there.  You do nto have Phillip Young - itis and trying to make every course a Tillinghast (or in this case Flynn) just becuase he used a mower there or removed a bunker??  Just kidding to all involved!!! ;D ;D
All kidding aside, that is a lot of money to be paid back then and I would love to know what he did or did not do?

Chris

Michael Dugger:
There is a great images in the Hollins biography of one of the holes from this course.

It looks like a drop shot par three, perhaps the hole with the bethpage looking bunker surrounding the green.

I always really liked that picture.  I have hoped someone would build something similar on a new course.

wsmorrison:
I'll ask Craig Disher if I can post his 1940 aerial of the course.  I don't know the routing progression but I am guessing that the 6th hole was not a short par 3.  There is no Principal's Nose bunker complex either.  I do know that the 1st looked nothing like the current 7th at Walton Heath.  I guess it would have to be the 7th on the New Course because the 7th on the Old Course at Walton Heath is a par 3.  However, maybe the routing progression was changed.  I haven't had a chance to study the old photograph in depth with Hollins's descriptions nor compare the 1940 aerial with a modern one.  But I'll try.

JMorgan:
Former Walton Heath Old #7 was a short par 5.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version