News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Whitmer

Double Eagle GC (pics)
« on: September 10, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »
For my first few posts, I thought I'd share some pictures from a pretty good day of golf I had a few weeks ago: I played Double Eagle in the morning, and The Golf Club in the afternoon. Photos from our afternoon round will be posted later.

Double Eagle is known for hosting about 25 rounds a day, and for being in phenomenal shape. To that end, it did not disappoint.

The first hole is a medium-length par 4. After (hopefully) finding the fairway, this is your approach:

This is the par 3, 160-yard fourth:

The fifth is a long, dogleg-right par 4. The second shot, which is usually around 200 yards or so, plays over a ravine to a large green, with a huge bail-out to the left:

This is the tee shot on the sixth, a dogleg-left par 5.

The seventh is a short, straight par 4. Like the fifth, the second shot here is played over a ravine. Unlike the fifth, it is played with a short iron. To be able to attack the entire green, your tee shot should find the right side of the fairway. My friend, as you can see from his golf ball, did not do that:

The seventh from behind the green:

The eighth is a 200-yard par 3, played to a wide, shallow green:

Nine is a long par 4. The fairway is very wide, but is separated by bunkers running up the middle. The most direct route to the green is via the right side, but it brings in the bunkers in the middle of the fairway, as well as bunkers to the right of the fairway. The is the tee shot:

Weiskopf and Morrish put in "spectacles" bunkers that, although they look like thay are right in front of the green, are actually 40 or so yards in front:

The par 4 tenth runs parallel to the first. The green slopes hard from back to front. This is the approach:

This is the tee shot on the par 5 eleventh. Not much to see, other than what must be carried off the tee. The fairway is very wide, but if you miss it you are often in trouble:

The twelfth is a dogleg-left par 4. This is the approach:

Taken from the thirteenth tee, this is the large bunker complex short and left of the twelfth green:

Thirteen is a short par 3 of 135 yards:

Fourteen also doglegs to the left. Hit your tee shot at the red barn:

This is the approach to fourteen:

This is from the tee of the fifteenth, a cape hole of about 465 yards:

The sixteenth is a par 3. The hole can play anywhere from 170 yards if the hole is on the left, to 200 yards (over a part of the pond) if the hole is on the right:

As with most courses designed by Weiskopf and Morrish, there is a short, driveable par 4. The seventeenth at Double Eagle certainly qualifies. What can't be seen in this picture is the pond that sits to the right of the fairway and green. If you go for the green, you'd better hit it straight. If you choose to lay up, you play to the left of the trees, and then have a pitch over a huge bunker complex, to a green that's 50 yards long:

The golf course ends with a par 5. This is the tee shot...the fairway is very wide, but a nasty bunker sits right in the middle:

This is the approach. The first 30 or so feet of the green is a false front, that will send balls back down to the fringe:

The green is very long, and going over it is no fun. This is behind the eighteenth green:

The "bye" hole:

I find Double Eagle to be very playable. Much like Camargo, you can shoot a good score if you play well. It is a treat to play a golf course that is in such good shape, where you are treated so well.

After our round, we hopped in ther car and drove 20 minutes to The Golf Club!

Tom Roewer

Re:Double Eagle GC (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
David:  Realy slumming it aren't we?!  All you missed was a picnis @ Alum Creek Park or Winton Woods in between.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »
Thanks for posting these David. An impressive looking course and the conditions certainly look great. Are we to expect TGC photo's as well? :)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
David,

Nice...not even a single mention that you played with Tiger!

D_Malley

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »
played there a few years back and remember one of the interesting things was that they do not have tee markers.  they thought this would spread out play on the tees, but everyone seemed to play from the rating plates.

Steve Kline

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »
From some of the pictures you may have noticed no tee markers. You are free to play each hole from wherever you want as I understand. However, you will also notice that everyone has on pants despite the ridiculous heat this summer in Ohio. The club does not allow shorts.

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »
The Spectacles were built  at the request of the course owner who had seen the original in Scotland and wanted a version somewhere on the course.  Did you think they were a good feature?

David Whitmer

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »
Dub,

Having never seen the original, I enjoyed what I saw at Double Eagle. I think it is a nice feature...a feature I had never encountered before on a golf course.

Mike,

My buddy looks like Tiger, huh? I'll be sure to let him know. Actually, he belongs to Skokie in Chicago and is quite a good player...he shot 72 at The Golf Club later that day. His tee shot on the seventh at Double Eagle is not indicative of his play.

Paul Carey

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:46:44 PM »
Which did you like better?  I have not played Double Eagle but I thought The Golf Club was wonderful.

Paul

David Miller

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 01:17:09 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics David--they bring back some great memories of my round out there.  Our caddie actually apologized to us on the range that we had to see another group going off #1.  While I didn't think the course came close to Muirfield Village (even in conditioning), the experience is definitely one-of-a-kind.  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »
David,

Nice...not even a single mention that you played with Tiger!

I hope that isn't Tiger because he is wearing Adidas shoes :o.
Mr Hurricane

james soper

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »
there was a 'shell's wonderful world of golf' match between tom w. and gary p. i like your pictures better than the video. i had heard their conditining was second to none. can be tough with hot summers.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 02:28:35 PM »
I actually played these two courses in the same manner in July 2006. I was glad that I started at Double Eagle since it was about 90 degrees that day and humid so the no shorts would have been rougher in the afternoon (and I did change in between!)

Double Eagle is a very nice course, but I'm not sure there's enough architecturally to be a top 100 course. Of the Weiskopf/Morrish courses I've played I'd probably put it behind The Rim in AZ. It is in superb condition and there are some very good holes (personally liked the stretch from #4-8). I don't know that the course has any real weaknesses per say, but I personally wouldn't put it anywhere near the class of The Golf Club.

Sean,
Its hard for me to address your question of the greens, but they did not stand out for me compared to other top courses I have played. They have enough interesting features to make for a pleasant and challenging round. Driving the ball well is important at Double Eagle, especially on holes with trouble in front of the green #1, 5, 6, 7, 9 come to mind on the front, the back is a bit more open.

C. Squier

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »
The Spectacles were built  at the request of the course owner who had seen the original in Scotland and wanted a version somewhere on the course.  Did you think they were a good feature?

I played Double Eagle this last Thursday.  I've never played the original Specs, but I enjoyed them at DE.  Though it did help that I hit a 4 iron to 3 feet for bird :)  But in all seriousness, they proved a nice illusion as they aren't nearly as in play as they seem.  The hole has a double fairway and the bunkers give even more reason to try the harder route.  

CPS

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »
I played Double Eagle a few years back and have to seriously question what all the fanfare about the course is. I've also played a fair share of the nation's best courses and while I certainly agree 1000% that the turf quality is second to none -- the overall quality of the design left me shaking my head wondering what allt he fuss is about.

Like I said at the outset -- I played the place once and have a good memory of my time there. It's possible a return may have me reconsidering.

In regards to The Golf Club -- it's a serious mistake for people to link the two together beyond the fact that they are in the greater Columbus area. It would be akin to saying that Maidstone is in the same zip code with the likes of Shinnecock and NGLA. Not even close in my book.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back