News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Safety Buffers
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:44:01 AM »
While building a new tee to add length, the only realistic spot for the tee is directly behind the previous green.  In a private course setting what would the preferred buffer be? What would the minimum buffer be and short of adding a batting cage, what would provide an adequate barrier to provide safety?  

Jordan Wall

Re:Safety Buffers
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:17:26 AM »
Cos,

Trees, of course!
 :D ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:51:01 PM »
Cos,

May I suggest the beautiful and flowering camellia trees that keep their leaves year round and would grow well in your area.

For an example flower, check out the one on this post.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

corey miller

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »

In my opinion, much of the buffer would be a function of what type of shot is being played into the green.  Be ready for many to use the "safety" angle when they really object to seeing other people while they play a shot.

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »
  A staggered planting of Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) will block errant golf balls but their branches droop so might create some lost ball and swing frustrations.

Alaskan Yellow Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis) would do the same.  

Hemlock is better for full sun and both tolerate irrigation.

Yew (Taxus baccata) can make a thick and interesting hedge.

Avoid arborvitae as they can be "vulgare".  Cheap and effective but they are a commodity plant.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:44:54 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have ressurrected an old thread to help you understand the issue.  Slag has hit the nail on the head.  

See "Adventures in Architecture"

I also think Corey has hit on one of the issues of protecting against motion behind the green

For the architects out there is there a distance that you would call minimal for safety?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:11:23 PM »
In this spirit of the hole which I think is being discussed, the safety buffer is not needed. In fact, I think it would hinder a better golfing architecture.

The lack of need of safety buffers is clearly proven at St. Andrews, Frair's Head, Rustic Canyon, Garden City Golf Club and more. That's a pretty broad spectrum of courses which to compare by. Oak Brook is no different.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:23:43 AM »
Grab a copy of Forrest's book "Routing the Golf Course".  He has a nice section on buffers.  Note:  There are no "official standards", but there are some guidelines that will help if the lawyers ever get involved  :(

corey miller

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »

The fact is that people will use the "safety buffer" issue in many areas when they really object to people moving around behind the green.  

Consider the shape and distance of the shot being played and how often a mis-hit shot lands beyond what would be the safety buffer.  We have a "safety buffer" on my course (that will be removed soon) that is behind a long par four and seperates the back of the green from the next par three tee.
It provides no "safety" but only a convenient spot to urinate.

Tommy N. I know you love FH but cmon where the heck on that course would a typical misguided GC even suggest a "safety buffer" behind 6? And we both know the decision making process at FH is not "typical" and that would be a good thing. ;D

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:45:22 AM »
WH Cosgrove

at my club, we have a couple of tees that are perhaps 16 yards from the back edge of the green.  One of these had dense bushes between the green and tee, but these were removed last year.  It has been a success for an area with limited acreage.  The other had several small trees that have also been removed, again successfully.

Many thought we would have a problem, but we haven't, to date.

The only issue we tend to have is with a thin bunker shot from the approach bunker some 10 yards short of the green.  If the bunker shot goes 50 yards instead of 25 yards then it affects the next tee.

Otherwise, we have found it is better to see the group on the tee than to just presume no-one is there courtesy of a group of 7 foot high shrubs.

Maintenance is a lot easier now.  Everything is cut as short grass, from rear of green through to tee.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 02:17:37 PM »
We too have a tee behind a green. There is an elevated bunker behind the green to catch thinned shots.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

corey miller

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 05:24:18 PM »

sounds like you have your adequate buffer for safety.

Norbert P

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »
 How about some topiary?

Release the hounds!
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »
Slag, I like that one!!  Now we need some Foxes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back