News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Re: BEAU DESERT: The Biggest Crime of the 20th Century? All 18
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »
Thanks Sean - an illuminating and interesting tour, as always. Indeed, a model of its kind!

Just to gloss my observation re Fowler: I noted that others (Mark R I think?) had made this point that his courses all looked different. My only point was that I saw some quite strong resemblances between the bunkering at  Walton Heath and Yelverton - both have what I would describe as an almost "rampart" style.

On a related point, and for this reason, I am not sure I agree with Tom that Fowlers's bunkering is bland - not at Yelverton or Walton Heath, and not at The Berkshire (though I agree, to the earlier point,  that The Berkshire does not look much like the other two Fowler courses I mentioned). Having said that - and I am not really a Simpson expert - I think some of the Simpson bunkering at Morfontaine is maybe wilder than anything I have seen from Fowler.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
Phillip
I don't know Yelverton so I can't comment. The old photos I've seen of Walton Heath Old & New the bunkers look very similar to Sean's photos at BD. Perhaps they changed over the years, I don't know. I believe Tippett carried out some changes when he worked at the club. Berkshire is definitely a different animal, I agree, but I attribute that to Simpson, who claimed to have worked on that project with Fowler.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
There is one old photo of the 18th green(it's the only one) in BD's club history...from memory it's huge and no trees at all.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
Philip,

Yes it was I who reckoned that no two Fowler courses look alike, but I can't remember anything about the bunkering at Yelverton. More of what I remember is the mischievous way in which the architect utilised the old mine workings to create wicked protection for a number of greens, and also the profusion of gorse plus the old Devonport leats.

I am going to learn more about Delamere Forest as I am going to write their centenary book.

I rather fancy that Bull Bay had no bunkers as built - the site is so undulating that the course doesn't need them - and that those bunkers currently present are merely there to appease those members who say that a golf course must have bunkers! Noel Freeman is visiting it around this time, so we may get a perceptive account of it on here soon. Let's hope so.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
There is one old photo of the 18th green(it's the only one) in BD's club history...from memory it's huge and no trees at all.

Paul

That is correct.  The 18th is a huge green and there were very few trees about originally.  However, not long after the course opened, about 1922ish, the Forest Commission came up with plans to plant trees around the entire course.  During this same period, further to the east, where  Beaudesert Hall (one of the estates of the Marquis of Anglesey) was located, the landscape of oaks and other lovely trees was decimated by felling.  In essence, the land used for the course overlooked mining works, much of which was owned by the Paget family as well ( they were one of the wealthiest families in the UK until the tax man came knocking after WWI).  While the land around the hall (which is now a ruin as it was sold off for bits) was, as originally a lovely parkland.  At some point during the sell off of the estate the Forestry Commission bought loads of acres around the course.  Eventually, the entire estate was sold off piece by piece. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:33:41 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »
Sean, just gone through this thread after your St Georges Hill one and again a great set of photos! Though its not far from my home in Derby, I've yet to get to play Beau Desert even though my wife has friends who live nearby in Rugeley. I must get there soon, and as you seem to love it so much I'll let you know if I do as there doesn't seem to be any chance of me heading to Burnham in the near future and it would be good to meet you!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
Sean, just gone through this thread after your St Georges Hill one and again a great set of photos! Though its not far from my home in Derby, I've yet to get to play Beau Desert even though my wife has friends who live nearby in Rugeley. I must get there soon, and as you seem to love it so much I'll let you know if I do as there doesn't seem to be any chance of me heading to Burnham in the near future and it would be good to meet you!

Cheers,

James

Just ask Mark Bourgeois and Craig Disher (the other members of our lost caravan) - the hardest thing about playing Beau Desert is FINDING THE DAMNED PLACE.  We circled around Rugeley etc etc for about an hour, and finally resorted to having dinner in a pretty low end restaurant and asking locals for directions.  :P  Luckily the steward was still there when we arrived and opened the bar.  He was blessed with a liberal hand at the bottles!

The dormie house at Beau Desert is highly recommended.  Two years ago, 75 quid for room, breakfast and a round on that great golf course, a true bargain.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 04:30:39 AM »

Cheers,

James

James

You are in luck.  The Bailsdon Butcher, Elie Mark and the Yank are due to play Beau Desert on 3 October.  You are most welcome to join us. 

Anybody else interested in coming along let me know.  It may be possible to book another time. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Paul_Turner

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
If I was still living in England I'd go check out Brocton Hall which isn't far away.  No doubt it's not in Beau Desert's class but could be a hidden gem.

PS I still think Harborne is the hidden gem of Brum.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
Sean - you should write a book!  I'd buy it :)

James Boon

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »
Sean,

I may take you up on that offer if its okay with you. However, what time are you playing? I'm playing Notts that day at about 2 and its not really something I can get out of, but if you are playing about 8 or 9, I may just be able to make it?

Paul,

I played Brocton Hall last year. I seem to recall quite a few short par 4s which as it was matchplay I kept trying to hit it close but sprayed all over the place. Some tough long par 4s on the second nine give it a bit of a tougher edge and 3, 9 and 17 are good par 3s. Website for more info: http://www.broctonhall.com/

Cheers

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 03:04:16 PM »
Sean,

I may take you up on that offer if its okay with you. However, what time are you playing? I'm playing Notts that day at about 2 and its not really something I can get out of, but if you are playing about 8 or 9, I may just be able to make it?

Paul,

I played Brocton Hall last year. I seem to recall quite a few short par 4s which as it was matchplay I kept trying to hit it close but sprayed all over the place. Some tough long par 4s on the second nine give it a bit of a tougher edge and 3, 9 and 17 are good par 3s. Website for more info: http://www.broctonhall.com/

Cheers

James

James

Unfortunately, we have the first time slot for visitors - 10:00am. 

Ciao

Paul_Turner

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 07:07:37 PM »
Paul,

Cheers

James

James

Was the land pretty good at Brocton?  Nice and undulating?

PS Thanks for the Portrush Valley info.

Andrew Mitchell

Re: BEAU DESERT: The Biggest Crime of the 20th Century?
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 08:39:54 AM »
Just bumping this to see if Sean's excellent photo tour can entice anyone to join us at Beau Desert this coming Friday?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

James Boon

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 05:50:08 PM »
As I've mentioned to Sean, I wont be able to make it as I've a round at Notts that afternoon booked a while ago, but hope you guys have a good round, and fingers crossed for some good weather that day!

Cheers

James

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »
As I've mentioned to Sean, I wont be able to make it as I've a round at Notts that afternoon booked a while ago, but hope you guys have a good round, and fingers crossed for some good weather that day!

Cheers

James

James

You missed a cracking day - fine fall weather and despite the heavy rainfall last night the fairways and greens were in good nick.  The NORTHERNERS (well, one northerner and one wannabee) seemed suitably impressed with cunning ways of Beau Desert. 

Mark, Andrew and myself are threatening to drop in on Notts for game this winter.  Should this happen I am sure we can post you an invite!

All, I updated the pix a bit.  Have another look.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:09:15 AM by Sean Arble »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 02:32:59 AM »

Cheers

James

James

You missed a cracking day - fine fall weather and despite the heavy rainfall last night the fairways and greens were in good nick.  The NORTHERNERS (well, one northernern and one wannabee) seemed suitably impressed with cunning ways of Beau Desert. 

Mark, Andrew and myself are threatening to drop in on Notts for game this winter.  Should this happen I am sure we can post you an invite!

Ciao
Impressed indeed.  I'd say that Beau is easily the equal of some of the London heathland courses (on first play it struck me as superior to Swinley, for instance), though the fact that we got this years one sunny day for our round certainly helped.  A wonderful set of greens.  Big, contoured and in wonderful condition.  Perhaps as quick and true as anything I've putted on this year and that's in October and with some serious breaks to consider.  Another Arble recommenmded course comes up trumps, I await the Arble Guide to Great Golf in the UK with anticipation.

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2008, 03:53:09 AM »

Cheers

James

James

You missed a cracking day - fine fall weather and despite the heavy rainfall last night the fairways and greens were in good nick.  The NORTHERNERS (well, one northernern and one wannabee) seemed suitably impressed with cunning ways of Beau Desert. 

Ciao
Impressed indeed.  I'd say that Beau is easily the equal of some of the London heathland courses (on first play it struck me as superior to Swinley, for instance), though the fact that we got this years one sunny day for our round certainly helped.  A wonderful set of greens.  Big, contoured and in wonderful condition.  Perhaps as quick and true as anything I've putted on this year and that's in October and with some serious breaks to consider.  Another Arble recommenmded course comes up trumps, I await the Arble Guide to Great Golf in the UK with anticipation.

Mark

Stop, you are making me blush, but I expect with a lobster face like mine folks can't tell. 

We will have to get over to Little Aston in due time.  It too is a good course that I would like to know better.  There is also Whittington Heath, but I reckon this may be one for when you are travelling north and can stop in for a go. 

I see that Notts reduces their green fee starting about now.  Which should chuck up a few dates for a visit.  It would be interesting to compare Beau & Notts.  The first thing which hits me is that Beau feels very small and intimate (but somehow manages to play bigger) while Notts feels expansive and more brawny, but does have sections of cocooned feel.  Personally, I don't think there is anything between the two (mainly due to Beau's superior greens), but with the current tree clearing of Notts it just might pull ahead.

Ciao

James Boon

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2008, 07:16:37 AM »
Sean,

Sounds like you had a good day!

I had a great afternoon at Notts. I took the money from fellow GCAer Ben Stephens and I was approx 2 over through 14 holes (wont mention the last 4 as the match was over and we could hardly see in the dark by the 18th) mainly thanks to some good putting after smoothing out my stroke at Royal County Down earlier in the week...

I was hoping to take some photos for posting here but made the schoolboy error of not checking the batteries first! I was suprised that there was some very wet areas but generally the course was in great condition.

I've only played with members recently at Notts so checked green fees for should a game be possible...
http://www.nottsgolfclub.co.uk/visitors.aspx

Cheers

James

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
There is a god! On my latest stop of the Winter Tour of England I had one of the greatest surprises in quite some time on a golf course.  The green staff must have found an old chainsaw and a tin of petrol because more trees have been felled!  Check out the updated Beau Tour.

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »
Sean - you should write a book!  I'd buy it :)

Sean, thanks for posting these photos last year.  I just went back through them and had forgotten how absolutely beautiful that first hole is, with the drive across the quarry with the heather and the second shot up to the skyline green.

Mark Pearce

Re: BEAU DESERT: The Biggest Crime of the 20th Century - But Improving
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2009, 04:09:23 AM »
Thanks for updating this thread. Good news that more trees have gone.  BD really is a wonderful course, as good as anythinginland in the UK.  I've only played it the once but can recall each hole clearly, a real test of a great course.

Sean_A

Re: BEAU DESERT: The Biggest Crime of the 20th Century - But Improving
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »
Thanks for updating this thread. Good news that more trees have gone.  BD really is a wonderful course, as good as anythinginland in the UK.  I've only played it the once but can recall each hole clearly, a real test of a great course.

Mark

Let me know when you want to go back.  I am anxious to follow the tree felling as I get the feeling more is planned. 

James B was a bit surprised by how difficult the greens were as the photos don't show the slopes to any degree.  Mind you, there were a few rather adventurous hole locations that in the summer would be questionable.  Needless to say we had a rather scrappy match that perked up near the end with some good play.

Ciao

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 09:22:02 AM »
There is a god! On my latest stop of the Winter Tour of England I had one of the greatest surprises in quite some time on a golf course.  The green staff must have found an old chainsaw and a tin of petrol because more trees have been felled!  Check out the updated Beau Tour.

Ciao

Sean
Glad to hear more trees have come out.  Hopefully more to come.

Thanks for updating the photo tour.  Sorry I couldn't be with you on Friday as one visit to Beau Desert certainly wasn't enough.  Hopefully we can arrange another game later in the year.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 05:17:14 AM »

Ciao

Sean
Glad to hear more trees have come out.  Hopefully more to come.

Thanks for updating the photo tour.  Sorry I couldn't be with you on Friday as one visit to Beau Desert certainly wasn't enough.  Hopefully we can arrange another game later in the year.

Andrew (or is it Captain Andrew?) 

Give us a shout with some Friday dates.  I am always happy to play Beau. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back