News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Got to get a coupla plugs in for a friend whom I have hosted at Beverly a coupla times.

Great victory today, holing out for eagle on 14 and then following up with a great birdie at 15.

Not sure if there is even a PGA Tour media guide anymore, but his first few seasons he listed his favorite course as "Beverly".  Pretty cool.

Now, I would have to think it is Pebble Beach instead.....

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

David_Elvins

Re: Congrats to DA Points on first PGA Tour victory today at Pebble!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
Anyone who can win whilst playing 4 rounds with Bill murray is doing alright.

Alvaro Quiros won in Dubai.  Definitely a player to watch and had some final round.

18 holes made up of:
1 x hole in one
1 x 2 (eagle par 4)
6 x 3
5 x 4
4 x 5
1 x 7

also had an 8 in the first round. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:47 PM »
I too have a SeeMore putter.
Thats where the similarity ends.

Congrats ,DA, on the title and the team title as well. [Insert Caddyshack line here]

JR Potts

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »
The 2011 PGA Tour guide lists Chicago Highlands as his favorite course.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »
I caddied for DA in Montreal in the 1999 Canadian Tour event and he was really a great guy, looks the same person today as he was back then.

It took 12 years from Canadian Tour rookie to PGA Tour winner, that's the type of commitment it takes.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
Have to also toast the former Pebble Beach caddie, long-time looper and friend of Bill Murray, Andrew Whitacre, who squired the walking comedy show around the courses, helping guide him to the winners circle with D.A. Points. Spoke with him tonight and he said it was a magical day, complete with high drama on #15, right after the dunker for eagle, when D. A. 's drive left the field of play on the left and bounced its way down the path, then came back in bounds to safety two feet inside the O.B. line. D.A. and Bill closed solidly from there to take both titles!

That's three straight years with a former Pebble Beach looper in the winners circle. Bobby Brown, former local,  packing for Dustin's back to back wins and now Andrew. Well done men.

It might not have quite the quality depth it had during the mid-90's /early 2000's, but I'd still put the Pebble loopers cream at the top of the non-Tour caddie world, with "The Legend" Boyns, having 2 Cal. State Am Titles and Todd "G-Money"...a former Washington State Am champ in the barn( who also fired a 62 during qualifying for the Caddie Cup one year), plus a ton of other boys that can go low when they're on.

Cheers to the lads on the bag, still helping define the game...as they have for centuries!

Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »
the SeeMore is yet another reason to like this win.After several years with the putter,I don't understand why every golfer doesn't use one.It is the one club or aide that has ever made a real difference in my game.Therefor, I love it for the company when they win.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:22:02 AM »
the SeeMore is yet another reason to like this win.After several years with the putter,I don't understand why every golfer doesn't use one.It is the one club or aide that has ever made a real difference in my game.Therefor, I love it for the company when they win.

I second this notion: Being a center shafted putter man myself, I've noticed they seem to be coming more into vogue on tour these days.

They are great for a back and thru stroke and even better if you use the claw method of putting. After going through a Never Compromise, a Odyssey #2 CS and a Taylor Made Monte Carlo (the same model Bill Murray was using today). I  settled on a Ping  C 67i and a Scotty Cameron 2.6 studio with the 20 gram weights. Extra weight is needed when you're putting with the claw method  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:19:53 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
D.A. is a great guy. No doubt many a toast was raised in Pekin, his Illinois hometown, tonight.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom Birkert

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
Spoke with him tonight and he said it was a magical day, complete with high drama on #15, right after the dunker for eagle, when D. A. 's drive left the field of play on the left and bounced its way down the path, then came back in bounds to safety two feet inside the O.B. line.

I'm amazed that this wasn't shown on TV. It was probably the defining moment of the tournament in so much as it would surely have resulted in a double bogey.

All I saw on TV was him getting ready to play his second shot and Feherty being surprised there was OB there!

I thought Pebble looked absolutely gorgeous this week. Stunning. I hate the rough around the bunker in the 15th fairway and the bunkers on the far side of the dogleg on 3 though. Utterly point(s)less!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
Spoke with him tonight and he said it was a magical day, complete with high drama on #15, right after the dunker for eagle, when D. A. 's drive left the field of play on the left and bounced its way down the path, then came back in bounds to safety two feet inside the O.B. line.

I'm amazed that this wasn't shown on TV. It was probably the defining moment of the tournament in so much as it would surely have resulted in a double bogey.

All I saw on TV was him getting ready to play his second shot and Feherty being surprised there was OB there!

I thought Pebble looked absolutely gorgeous this week. Stunning. I hate the rough around the bunker in the 15th fairway and the bunkers on the far side of the dogleg on 3 though. Utterly point(s)less!!

Forget the rough around the bunker on 15. How about the bunker in general? It looks like a giant hole in the ground, like a bomb was dropped there.

Congrats to D.A.  He won the ihsa title the year after I graduated and I have followed his career closely since. I think we have a GCAer who stood up in his wedding.

By the way, how crazy is it that Pekin's team used to be called the Chinks until the 1980's?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Grinder,
 Do recall the caddie that snuck on to play Spy during a practice round?

He was a young std 12 years ago, who wrote a little blog about it.

He had an accomplice, another caddie, who was his prop acting like just another caddie / group out for a practice round.

When asked who they said they were, the caddie said "We'll tell him we're D.A. Points." Since nobody really knew who that guy was or what he looked like.

Not anymore.

Congrats to them both, and Ryan Potts, who accurately predicted the victory here on either Thursday or Friday.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
Adam,

That was Chris "Wags" Wagonseller, who's a hell of an athlete... great swing and had the tour bag, tour look, accomplice caddie(who  it was I can't recall) and everything elsed nailed when he strode around the Glass that year. He was playing through pros as a single, it was hilarious! Wags was also the model for that gigantic 2000 U.S. Open sculpture of the swinging golfer that now rests at Peter Hay. He's yet another human thread in the often wonderful, sometimes wacky tapestry that is caddie golf!

We had some damn good times there at Pebble Adam, years I will always cherish.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

William_G

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Great win for Murray, and loved DA's LEGO buckle!
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »

I love my SeeMore too.  Not only is it easy to align, it's also just the right weight for putting from off the green.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
I loved it when he yelled  "thanks for coming everybody" to the gallery. They said on the broadcast that he does that at every tournament.  Very Classy.  He seems like a great guy.

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »

Agreed this was a critical shot missed--how could they not at least be taping the leader of the tournament (or the booth not know about this)? I guess they were too busy watching Phil finish a mediocre final round.  
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back