News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Sterling STONEHAM GC: 2018-19 Winter Tour
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
Sam

I am surprised you didn't care for Stoneham.  It seems right up your alley with all those reachable par 5s...

Sometimes clearing out trees can spoil a hole a bit.  The 13th seems a bit neutered with fewer trees left.  Previously, missing left most likely meant a kiss was on the card.  Now there is less pressure on the tee.  Although, I expect the green prefers having more light!  There are some trees on the right side of the fairway which could go.  They really serve as outside lining up points for the blind drive...don't see much point in that. 

Ciao

Sean,As I said when played last (5 years ago now!!) the course didnt really stir my soul. I felt the course was being slightly suffocated by the encroaching tree/shrub lines. I could see that there was something quite nice on the ground but felt an axe would have been a good 15th club in my bag. Must get back following your new pics. with regards to the 13th, to me I think the pressure of the drive is trying to hit the greens narrow entrance, the trees are neither here or there...

Sam

I guess my point was the trees on the left placed a premium on accuracy for those going for the green. Since the shot is blind, it was very easy to lose a ball left green-high because you couldn't see it rattle around the trees.   

The trees right just don't make any sense.  They act as guidelines to the right side.  I could understand if they were pretty, but alas....

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:02:43 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Sterling STONEHAM GC: 2018-19 Winter Tour
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 01:43:13 AM »
I think I like Stoneham even more that you do Sean.  The beautifully understated greens beguile and I believe with more plays would get even more in the mind. Don't recall any thing is reasonable length dropping and they are in great nick.

Looking forward to a third visit.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Re: Sterling STONEHAM GC: 2018-19 Winter Tour New
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 04:42:46 AM »
I think I like Stoneham even more that you do Sean.  The beautifully understated greens beguile and I believe with more plays would get even more in the mind. Don't recall any thing is reasonable length dropping and they are in great nick.

Looking forward to a third visit.

Spangles

Yes, I do think you like Stoneham more than me. What I really like is the routing.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:47:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back