News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Your "other" passionate interests
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »
I know that this is OT and what a hot button topic that has been lately, but since I may never get the privilege of meeting alot of you here, I just thought it would be nice to know the members a little better.

Outside golf architecture, what are some of your other passions (hobbies)? I know we have some well rounded people here, I just thought it would be interesting to hear.   What else makes you tick?

I'll start. Outside of golf, I'm a huge road racing fan. Formula One, Le Mans series, etc. Even though tevo was invented, I still find myself getting up at 4am and watching the races live from Europe. I know, dumb. So I guess you can call me a motorhead.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Your "other" passionate interests
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »
Hockey and model railroading.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Robert Gusick

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
Photography and Technology

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »
Wiine, Women, and Song, not necessarily in that order.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:49:11 AM »
oh yes...forgot about golf course historical research.

You wouldn't believe how the chicks go crazy for guys who are into that.  

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
I love to read.

Lately it's been thriller fiction, but it ranges from non-fiction (golf, politics, economics, math, physics) to almost any type of fiction. I even recently tried to read some Shakespeare, in deference to his many fans and defenders on this site.

I guess I'd also have to list this site as a passion, though it might be closer to an obsession.

Outside of those, lately it's pretty much just been being a dad.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Roewer

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
soft puppies
hard women
fast golf courses

i think that's the right combo   yeah!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:58 PM »
Writing, especially fiction & poetry, opera and art, both of which I know far too little about...

Christopher Klingenstein

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »
Food and wine or maybe it is Wine and Food :-\

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »
Outside of golf, my wife ;D, reading and rugby (both codes).

I'm not sure my wife would think I've got those in the correct order ;)
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »
motorcycles
UFC
chicks
music
beer

(I bet I am the only golf architecture junkie who loves sportbikes and Ultimate Fighting!)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »
I just set up a Saturday tee time at a course in a given town so I can attend a WWE Raw event the night before.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:34:36 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »
Outside of the required passions (family, etc.):

Arsenal Football club, and all things related to the greatest sport there is.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, but not really baseball in general all that passionately.

The athletic teams and other aspects of Santa Clara University.

USC Trojan football

The San Jose Sharks passionately, hockey as a sport not so much (that is, I love the sport but can't see myself watching games that don't involve the Sharks).

The Olympics and other international sporting events.

Irish history

Beer, wine and spirits

Hang gliding, alligator wrestling, big-game hunting, falconry, aeronautics, gourmet cooking and macrame.

TH

ps - OK that last entry is BS, but it was the listing under "interests" in my bio for a work directory once... the idiots didn't know I was kidding....

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:39:01 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Grant Davey

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »
Reallly, this is all I think about................

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
Grant:

AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!

Surfing's a way of life, it's no hobby.  It's a way of looking at that wave and saying "hey bud, let's party!."

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I live by the teachings of Jeff Spicoli.

Sad part is I am a 45 handicap surfer... I have done it, just never very well.  I do very much admire those who can party with waves.

TH

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 12:44:25 PM »
Reallly, this is all I think about................

Calling Jon Spaulding. There's another one of you guys on here! ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Grant Davey

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 12:47:47 PM »
Tom,
It doesn't matter how well you do it, only that your having fun. That shot is of Lake Michigan, slighty different experience to the ocean.
Grant

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
Tom,
It doesn't matter how well you do it, only that your having fun. That shot is of Lake Michigan, slighty different experience to the ocean.
Grant

Grant - very sage advice, words to live by.  Thanks.
And being a CA boy, I never would have guessed that's
Lake Michigan... very cool.

billb

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »
Snow skiing (two skis, none of this snowboard knuckle dragging stuff)

4WD jeeping in the mountains of Colorado and the canyons of Utah (always tread lightly)

Playing the saxophone

Hockey especially the Colorado Avalanche

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »
Very avid, yet rational Boston Red Sox fan.  (I know alot about the game, thus I realize even the good teams lose 65 games a year).  We have a share in a pair of season tickets in the 4th row in box 80 down the left field line at Fenway.

Reader and collector of Michael Crichton books.  I have a copy of every one of his books, including several he wrote during med school and after under the names John Lange and Michael Douglas.  I actually paid about $200 for a paperback of his first novel, published in the late 60s.  I have a few first editions, but nothing real valuable.

Lover of Labrador Retreivers.  While growing up, my family has had two blacks and two yellows (two at a time), my aunt has a chocolate, and now my sister has a yellow puppy.  I haven't been able to convince my fiance that I will not love a yorkshire terrier, as it will be about 50 pounds too small.

Someday, when Jeremy Jacobs sells the team, I will be a Bruins fan again.  I love watching the D1 college hockey teams though, and D3 when it involves Middlebury.

My other golf-related interest is that I collect vintage scorecards, preferably pre-stymie.  I have about 1000 so far, and have given a few to various clubs for their archives.  I have a few from many of the most famous clubs, my favorites are the only existing card featuring the NLE third nine at my home course, and a card from Macrihanish from 1896.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:21:52 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kyle Harris

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
Music, especially, as most on here know. Though I can only aspire to the depth of knowledge in music that others on the site has shown. I believe it's Mark Rowlinson who has shown a rather vast knowledge of classical theory.

My girl, as those close to me know there's a lot going on with that and she really is a motivation. You know you've found "the one" when she stops by your place at lunch and writes "I love you so much" in big bubble letters in your sketch book of golf holes. Her support is really incredible, especially considering her situation.

History. I used to reenact the Civil War and worked at Gettysburg for two summers.

Railroading, especially the histories of the coal region in PA with the Reading, Lehigh Valley and some of the Pennsy. My father and I are slowly working on modeling the entirety of Schuylkill County based on 1910 timetables.

The Pennsylvania State University. Especially football.

Brad,

I'm a Crichton fan as well, though his later stuff, to me is lacking. Prey especially fell far short of my expectations.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:10:03 PM by Kyle Harris »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »
This:

And this:

Especially this:

And as much of this as possible, pours and looks like motor oil:

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
1. My kids
2. pool (billiards)
3. Miami Hurricanes
Mr Hurricane

Jack_Marr

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »
I "collect" whiskies. I collect them to drink, really.
John Marr(inan)

Jim Colton

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »
My wife and 3 kids
Fighting Illini basketball
College Basketball Ratings (Colton Index)
NBA Fantasy Basketball (40+ teams per year)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back