News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re:Why Do You Play Golf?
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »
Because playing at a great golf course gives me a thrill.

I fully subscribe to Dr. Mackenzie's theory, as well, that pleasurable excitement is beneficial to your health.

Golf is a great game.  It sees no color, gender nor age.  There is no one way to play, to putt or to swing other than whichever way works best for you.  In this regard, Captain Thomas was right on the money when he wrote,

"Golf is a game of balance.  The man who knows the value of each of his clubs, and who can work out when it is proper to play one and when to play another, succeeds at the game.  The ability of a golfer to know his power and accuracy, and to play for what he can accomplish, is a thing which makes his game as perfect as can be; while a thinker who gauges the true value of his shots, and is able to play the shot well, nearly always defeats an opponent who neglects to consider and properly discount his shortcomings."

You don't have to run fast or jump high to play golf well.

It teaches honor, patience and perseverance.  Somedays, when everything clicks into place.....you are killing the ball, dropping putts and the sun shines over the links in just the right way, you'd have to be a fool to not think something "greater" is going on in this world than what our feebile little humanoid brains can comprehend.

Playing golf is about as close as I come to having a conversation with God.

Beautiful. :)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Franklin

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 12:46:11 PM »
One thing that I love about playing golf is that it gives me a chance at the end of a day to do nothing but think about me.  I always enjoy going through a round trying to decide my best shot of the day until I fall fast asleep.

JB -

This is too funny. I fall asleep EVERY night reviewing the latest or most recent round in my head. Like you, trying to figure out the best shot or how to play a hole better.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Jim, I'll take a stab at it...

I play golf because it gives me joy. I read an author many years ago who defined joy as longing. I play golf because I can't wait until I get to tee it up again. I play beacuse I know the next shot can be better than the last one, the next round will be where I go deep. It is the competition with yourself and others, but it is so much more.

I play because it was my Dad's game that he invited me into when I was young. It is a game you play against yourself and the course, but it is a game you play with family and friends. Outside of my family, my best friends are my golfing friends.

I play because of the beauty, civility, history, power and finesse of the game. No other game can rival the field of play in golf. The land, the architect, and the weather create a venue like no other. It is a game for gentlemen and ladies to play as they follow in the long line that came before. The game has a scale that allows one to hit it hard and watch their ball almost disappear into the distance. That same scale demands a surgeon's touch on a downhill hard-breaking three foot putt.

I play golf because I have to. No other pastime delivers like golf. No other sport creates and satisfies the longing inside. I play golf because it gives me joy.

Well said.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »
My parents divorced when I was very young.
I spent sundays with my father.
We played golf.
Those times I spent with my father are the conduit for why golf was enjoyable for me as I got older - positive memories. During which I was an average player and the suffering was normal to me - read Jordan's 10th reason.

I now play for all the good reasons listed above also - especially John's ego reason.

side bar-
I do enjoy replaying a round putting myself to sleep - it is quite calming.

Jim & John - Would you guys like to put yourselves to rest - deathbed - thinking of a great golf shot - it will probably be quite calming.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:52:01 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
Because I might get better, and at 55 there aren't many things for which that is true.

Because I might win.

Because I can't sit still.

Because of the buddy time.

Because I would rather be outdoors than in.

Because I can't play other sports anymore.

Because it endlessly occupies my mind.

Because I feel better when it is over than I would otherwise.

And just because I love it.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

igrowgrass

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 03:30:16 PM »
You hit one shot so pure, you know you can get better and it keeps bringing you back.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 04:09:27 PM »
to just get out on the course

to be on a great course late in the evening with no one else around

to be at total peace with the world

to outwit and best my better-skilled opponent

to play a bending iron below one tree, around another, and over the last one to 10 feet and then getting down and in

to play a runner that takes a hop right, corrals left, then changes direction 3 more times while disappearing twice and eventually left dead within the grip

to think three shots ahead

to learn new strategies and know the learning will never cease

to bond with fellow good men

to be inspired by the sweeps, edges, and texture of a bunker

to bounce the ball onto the surface

to create stances, trying as many as possible until deciding playing backwards through the  legs is the only option, and then pulling off the shot and draining the putt

to lay up on a 150 yard par 3 and then win the hole

to be thrilled, inspired, agonized, elated, and satisfied all in the same day

to experience great lands and settings while doing all of the above
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks to all that have replied. I have often thought about why I play this game and there are a variety of reasons. The social aspect is huge for me, but I also love the solitude of a late round and being alone with my thoughts.

I love the integrity of the game and its rich history. The fact that honor means something in this game is important. I want to teach my children about honor and respect and the great traditions this game has.

I also love the fact that the venue changes from day to day and from course to course. Playing on the same grounds as Old Tom Morris, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods is pretty awe inspiring.

And as Jeff mentioned earlier, all of my friends now are nearly all my golfing buddies. I have some pretty good friends around this wonderful country and globe that I have made through this terrific game of golf. I can't wait for my next round.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »
It's fun.

Nicely said, Mike Dugger.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Colton

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »
This reminds me of a study I read an article about recently where they studied all of the different reasons people had sex.  In that study, they were surprised by the results, and hoped to you some of the findings due further treatment for different kinds of sexual dysfunction.

Maybe someone should do a similar study for golf...the results could help the industry better serve its customers or help people treat their golf addiction (assuming it needs treating!)

I play golf because it is the greatest game of all...seeming simple yet maddeningly complex, impossible to master - you'll never be good enough.  Unlike other sports that I used to be pretty good at - baseball and basketball, I still feel like my golf game will continue to get better.  I couldn't stop playing even if you paid me $1 million to quit.

KBanks

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 07:32:11 PM »
See the closing paragraphs of CBM's Scotland's Gift for one of the best answers to Jim's question.

(Citation courtesy of Patrick Mucci).

Ken

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 10:35:10 PM »
One thing that I love about playing golf is that it gives me a chance at the end of a day to do nothing but think about me.  I always enjoy going through a round trying to decide my best shot of the day until I fall fast asleep.

JB -

This is too funny. I fall asleep EVERY night reviewing the latest or most recent round in my head. Like you, trying to figure out the best shot or how to play a hole better.

It's always amazing to learn that others out there do the same quirky things as you.  I don't necessarily try to figure out the best shot, but sleep frequently comes for me as I'm going through a recent round shot-by-shot trying to figure out which part of my game was preventing me from scoring better.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 12:09:22 AM »

You don't have to run fast or jump high to play golf well.

That is no longer true.  If you are going to compete at a decent level you need to be reasonably athletic.  

Yup, I'll bet John Daly can kick my ass in the high jump and 100 meter dash.  NOT!  Well, maybe if there's a case of beer, dozen donuts and pack of smokes at the finish line he might be quick enough to force me to break a sweat! ;)

As for why I play golf, because it is at its essence such a simple game, but in reality is so challenging that no one has ever or will ever master it.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 12:30:59 AM »
- Because at night...wait, no, late evening, cart racing is the best thing to do ever
 ;D 8)

I haven't done this in a long time, but when I first started playing golf I worked at a resort course and had so much fun racing carts.  No one ever got seriously injured, and that was a miracle.  Thanks for reminding me of that stuff, Jordan.

I started out playing golf because it was the best way I could find to spend time with my good friends.  Along the way, I also discovered how much I can enjoy my own company. I absolutely love heading out just an hour or two before dark, playing a couple of balls, and trying to get better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back