News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Re:US Am at Olympic
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2007, 03:17:37 PM »
Glenn,

I just think there's some kind of disconnect when only 5-10% of guys are hitting the green in regulation.

The difficulty is that it's incredibly hard to land a ball on the green and stop it, but there's no way to run it up, either.

I just think that if we expect guys to approach from 200+ yards, there should be some way to play a shot with a reasonable chance of hitting the green. The evidence from this past week is that guys don't have a reasonable chance of hitting that green from over 200 yards away.

Realize that a 200 yard approach assumes a drive of 291, uphill, into the wind, in heavy air! So 220 yards or more is a distinct possibility, which would require a 5-wood or a 2-hybrid into the green.

If our response is that, well, a guy can just lay up if the green is too hard to hit - I agree, but in that case we should call it what it is: a par-5.

Obviously, you know the green much better than I do, but I do think it is nice to see some guys have to play some shots that people had to years ago. One other thing, I think it is a hole that brings the cream to the top as a par 4. Knost was and is the better player and he handled it like a champion at the right time. I like that in a golf hole that late in the round. Everything you said makes a lot of sense, it is hard to disagree.

Mike Benham

« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
Let's all thank God that he didn't play the hole that way. I like Colt a lot and in fact won a bet on him winning the thing, but to call him a gunslinger for attempting to hit the green from 220 or 230 is a little much. Are you under the impression that any self-respecting golfer in Colt's position would actually play the hole the way that you described?

Glenn -

You obviously missed the tie in of "gunslinger" to Colt's name, perhaps I should have used "ponied up" instead.

You do realize they were playing match play?

I guess that David Toms is not a self-respecting golfer ...

And gambling is illegal at Bushwood ...

Mike

"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Keenan

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2007, 06:35:42 PM »
Tom H

On the attendance I do not think the USGA did much in the way of local publicity. I saw very little in the SF Chronicle. In addition nothing that I caught on TV except the final winner. No radio interviews or anything to help get the word out. Admittedly amateur golf is not as big a draw as the PGA but to be frank match play is a lot of fun to watch.

On a personal note I liked having smaller crowds than you see at a PGA event. My son and I both commented on how close to  the actual play you are at the US AM. This was my second time attending a finals and both were excellent.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

ed_getka

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
My son and I really enjoyed ourselves at the Amateur for the reasons John cited. I went home and looked up future Am and Walker Cup sites to start attending instead of US Opens.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2007, 10:27:52 AM »
Let's all thank God that he didn't play the hole that way. I like Colt a lot and in fact won a bet on him winning the thing, but to call him a gunslinger for attempting to hit the green from 220 or 230 is a little much. Are you under the impression that any self-respecting golfer in Colt's position would actually play the hole the way that you described?

Glenn -

You obviously missed the tie in of "gunslinger" to Colt's name, perhaps I should have used "ponied up" instead.

You do realize they were playing match play?

I guess that David Toms is not a self-respecting golfer ...

And gambling is illegal at Bushwood ...

Mike

Mike,

You do realize that Toms was not playing match play, right? Comparing the two situations is  reallly showing a lack of understanding about how to play the game. Toms could lose it on 18 at AAC. Knost couldn't have lost on 17 at Olympic. Now, do you see? ANY self-respecting golfer would "go" for that green in Colt's position.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
My son and I really enjoyed ourselves at the Amateur for the reasons John cited. I went home and looked up future Am and Walker Cup sites to start attending instead of US Opens.

Ed,

I went to the WOMEN'S amateur this year and enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't blame you or your son one bit. I still maintain all of the Amateur events should be on TV somewhere. It is so much fun to watch compared to another damn stroke play event on the PGA Tour.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »
Tom H

On the attendance I do not think the USGA did much in the way of local publicity. I saw very little in the SF Chronicle. In addition nothing that I caught on TV except the final winner. No radio interviews or anything to help get the word out. Admittedly amateur golf is not as big a draw as the PGA but to be frank match play is a lot of fun to watch.

On a personal note I liked having smaller crowds than you see at a PGA event. My son and I both commented on how close to  the actual play you are at the US AM. This was my second time attending a finals and both were excellent.

JK - thanks.  Oh heck yeah in terms of watching golf this would have been the only way to go.  Of course the negative is you're not watching the best players.... but those guys are good enough.

I was just wondering how attendance stacked up.  I figured it wouldn't come close to pro events, even contrived ones like that WWOG match.  I guess I figured correctly.

TH

John Keenan

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2007, 11:58:17 AM »
Glenn I could not agree more regarding armature tournaments. The aspect of match play adds an element of drama that, for me at least ,is missing from the PGA.  Conceding putts, lay up versus go for it all seem far more significant in match play.

Then again maybe the Fed Ex Cup will add that element of drama.
 :P
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back