News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Klein's B to A
« on: August 11, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
Got my 8/11/07 copy of GOLFWEEK last night and was interested to see Kleins discussion of Fircrest GC in Tacoma, my home town.  

For those of you who haven't seen the piece it is an eloquent and powerful comment on how our golf courses change over time and how through benign neglect we often lose the power and 'sense of place' on our golf courses.  

Inspired by an old photo of Fircrest that I believe he saw on GCA, Brad went to Fircrest this spring and retook the same photo.  

How many times have we heard a fellow member or playing partner ask us crazy GCA types why we are so intent on removing something "that has always been there."  When we know that courses change over time and even though in our short memories, it may have always been there for us, it wasn't always meant to be that way.  And the change that has occured could be devastating to the quality of a course.

A couple of things come to mind, first change is inevitable and second in the age of digital phtography a consistent photo record of that change would be a great idea in order to enable future players and design professionals to make informed decisions long after we're gone.  

TEPaul

Re:Klein's B to A
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »
W.H.

I'm a big believer in something I call "holding the look".

A golf club can certainly do that in the future with really good and comprehensive digital photography done for that purpose.

I don't believe that kind of thing was ever done or even thought of in the past.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:30:30 AM »
Tom, I like the catch phrase!

And what a great excuse to go buy that new Camera! ;D

Tim Liddy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »
Like the rest of us sometimes Brad gets it right and sometimes he get it wrong. This article is a journalistic iconography. Very seldom does a journalist get the importance and understanding of the “big picture” with the ability to communicate it to a mass audience. As someone who makes a living explaining these concepts to green committees it is refreshing to see it presented to a general audience.  I know I will use it in future presentations.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back