News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

First Golf in America?
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »
Thought you might like to see the link to the latest story about the golf scene in Tacoma/Pierce County.

www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/103159.html

Is Dupont, Washington the site of the first golf course in America?

The Home Course Card reads "Established 1833; Renovated 2007."  

Sam Morrow

Re:First Golf in America?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
That's interesting stuff, I once read an article that Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio claims that had golf in the 1870's.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
The first golf in America can arguably be traced back to the 18th century (the 1700s) and Charleston SC seems to be the earliest spot.

However, golf in America that early was almost never self sustaining for a number of reasons.

Those over here who created the first golf and courses in America that early did not stay in this country and those early courses and golf over here were not on-going for that reason. Also perhaps for another rather simple but practical reason golf was not self sustaining over here that early---eg when those early GBer came over here and created those very early rudimentary courses and played on them they brought their own balls and impliments with them from GB and when they left they took them home with them.

One could not exactly play golf over here if there were no balls and impliments over here to play with and in those very early days no one over here made them.   ;)

Golf courses that have been on-going did not begin in this country until around the 1880s.

Furthermore, the inland golf courses over here from about the 1880s up until the first decade of the 20th century essentially looked like steeplechases courses or adaptations of other features to do with horse sport---at least their hazard features did.

Is it any wonder they looked like that early on? Most of those early features probably were copies of steeplechase features or even adaptations of actual horse jumping features.

A thorough photographic review of courses over here in that early era make that fact virtually undeniable.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:17:52 AM by TEPaul »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
Golf was certainly known of in this new world in the 1700's. There is at least one known advertisement selling golf clubs and balls in New York at that time.

Therewere several articles from the April 1935 issues of the Farmingdale (Long island) Post which laid claim to proof having been located that the Duke of York had introduced golf to Thomas Dongan, the then Governor of New York, and Thomas Powell, founder of Bethpage village in 1688.

The story goes that Duke was over here as a reward by the crown for introducing golf to England in 1680. He was supposed to have taught them how to play at a local place called by the Indians "Rim of the Woods." This spot is now known as the 13th fairway of Bethpage Black.

Unfortunately, as exciting a possibility as that is, the Duke of York was a bit too busy being the King of England at the time and never came here.

The newspaper accounts refer to an envoy of the Duke and records proving this that may be found in Albany at the New York State archives. We do know that as a result of some visit by representatives of the crown at this time that Dongan was rewarded by being instituted as the 3rd Earl of Limerick and it is he that is supposed to have been the original poet creating limericks...

I spent some time at the archives hunting down the documents which I was never able to find, but then again I did come across a set of original prints from Timber Bay with handwritten notes in both pen and pencil on them...

History can be so generous and cruel...

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:08:35 PM »
If American means North America then there is some evidence that golf was played by a Scottish soldier who was part of General Wolfe's army on the Plains of Abraham, just outside the walls of Quebec City in 1760.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 02:21:20 PM »
I believe that Columbus first words when seeing NA land from the boat were "That will make a hell of a water hole!"

Or was that the Vikings who said that? ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ron Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
"That will make a hell of a water hole!"

Keeping it light - To the best of my knowledge, perhaps God who said "When technology finally advances, This will make a hell (heck if you prefer) of a water hole!"  Play On!

Steven_Biehl

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:43 AM »
The reference to golf in S.C. in the 1700's was an advertisement in a newspaper for equipment, also.  I don't believe there was any evidence of a golf course.  1833 could be the first organized golf course.
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 01:01:02 AM »
May be a good deal of truth to this. Arthur Herman wrote the book "How the Scots Invented the Modern World"
He mentioned the Hudson's Bay Company and said that by the turn of the 18th century 4/5 of the employees were Scottish, primarily from the Orkneys and many from the highlands. While it was the British Empire, I think a plurality of soldiers, merchants and governors were Scot.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:44:04 PM »
First golf club – September 29, 1786
Scottish merchants formed the South Carolina Golf Club in Charleston. Club members played on Harleston's Green in Charleston until 1800.

Bill Gayne

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 10:47:05 PM »
Charleston can trace its golf roots to the mid-1700s, when ships sailing into Charleston Harbor regularly listed “goof sticks and balls” on their manifests. The South Carolina Golf Club – now chartered as the Country Club of Charleston – was founded in 1786 and has been recognized as the nation’s first golf club.

However, the nation’s first golf club did not enjoy the nation’s first golf course. In fact, the South Carolina Golf Club had no course at all. The club, which met at Williams’ coffee house, played its favorite game on the public area known as Harleston Green, sharing the space with horses, carriages, children at play and everyday folk. By 1795, the club had its own clubhouse at Harleston Green, but still no course of its own.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 11:42:48 AM »
 8)

Does this explain why St Pat's Day is so celebrated in SC?  Never will forget stumbling into it back in 1987... along Savannah River
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

paul cowley

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »
Steve...trust me on this...if you were stumbling on St. Patricks [and I think you obviously were], then you were in Georgia, in the city of Savannah, on the Savannah River.

The SC side is just old rice fields.....which could cause one to stumble....but then again, maybe that is what you meant...and I'm screwing up your post.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »
Speaking of the Country Club of Charleston (Raynor, 1922), does anyone know where the CC of Charleston course that Tom Bendelow built in 1901 was located and why it went away?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back