News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Hey gang, the greatest under 400 yard par 4 thread got me thinking of something to do for the armchair archies.

Describe one short par 4, under 350 yards, that is considered very good, and suggest in as few words as possible how a remodel of that hole would make it an all world short par 4.  Economy of words counts.  Use a photo or link if you like to describe current hole, then tell us what you'd do to it.

here is a hole description from website, that isn't all that good of a description, if you ask me... ;)
http://www.playwildhorse.com/index.asp?page=golf_tour&hole_id=5

here is one of my photos that might better show the hole now.

I would create 15 yards of FW to the left and extending to the current throat of the green of the currently left side "gobble-up bunker".  I'd leave the native mound to the left of the throat at greenside.  I'd bring a bit of FW around from the front and to the right of the convex or inverted bunker guarding the current punchbowl green, and extend another 1500 sqft of putting surface on a higher terrace on that right side of the punchbowl.

Thus, the drive would offer a wider and deftly played challenge to also have the option to take on the currently left side FW bunker, making it more of a line of charm to approach from further left, flirting with wha would become more of a centerline bunker, leaving the option to go at the punchbowl or new right side pin positions from a very interesting angle.  That shot would still be in the 125-90 yard approach range depending on how far you hit it up the left, and makes the gobble bunker even more of an element of skill and fear with great reward for a great angle in.  And by extending FW around the right of the inverted greenfronting bunker, to that new higher terraced pin, a whole new dimension and interesting optional shot would be created.  

So, more FW left of the left side, more green still behind the inverted bunker green front with still partially blind to new right terraced green extention.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

Dick, I humbly disagree with adding FW to the left.
To me, The way that leftside is hidden because of the fallaway slope is a big part of Dan And Daves visual motiff. The hole is still plenty wide but requires some extra thought, once the player realizes this hole is not as wide as it looks, nor, is it as wide as what has been seen on the previous holes.

Believe me, I despise looking for balls on that left side, but appreciate it as a lure, or a gottcha, courtesy of the archie.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

Adam, that is why we have a discussion board, and we get to exchange ideas.  I see and have often experienced what you are saying.  And, I know from many times played there that some of that left side is hidden and lures players with drives inside the current FW and bound out into native grasses.  But actually, while I've been there in the native many times, it was only hidden once.  I only go there now because I would pull my drive from the bowl area right and even or short of the current left bunker.  

My thoughts as to the FW extending out left of that bunker is that it is even a bigger lure.  As we know, it is called a gobble up bunker and many pretty good shots don't make it quite there, but bound into it, thus being gobbled up.  The distance that the bunker and the far lip presents off the tee is lure enough, because it looks drivable.  It would look even more tasty or appealing if the look of FW left of the bunker was readily available and visable to the player off the tee.  And, the terrain further up left side past the bunker would kick balls right, back towards the throat if you really bomb it.  The risk is still and very possibility of going into the bunker leaving about 110-20 bunker shot towards green, or reward with an appealing angle into the punch bowl that rewards with a flight over or through the throat to the left side punch bowl greens and backstop with newly added terrace off the right side of the green as it currently is.   Don't get me wrong, I love the hole as is.  But, I'm just sayin...  ;) ;D ::)

psst, don't tell Dan I said these things!  :o :-X ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

I think I see what you're saying. Seems to be enticing the drive for the green? If so, it would slow play considerably. Not for us, but believe me, there are plenty of those long hitt'in Hurley types out here. Them farm boys is strong. Our parks and rec guy hit one 400 the other day with only a 25mph wind to help. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back