News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Bunker Complexes at Oakmont
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
 I was struck by the huge buildup of turf around the bunkers, particularly the fairway bunkers. Were these reworked for the Open? How do they compare to the original surrounds?

The surrounds seemed to be more difficult than the sand during play.
AKA Mayday

John Foley

Re: Bunker Complexes at Oakmont
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:35:45 PM »
Mike,

If you go look at the areial view of Oakmont on Google you can see the work going on to hole #3 including expanding the Church Pews and the work on the bunkers on the right side.

If you compare some of the old photo's you definetly see the difference in the depth.

BTW - The bunker re-do from Fazio at Oak Hill has that similar turf build up you speak of.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
I believe it's the "puffy look" MacDonald and Sons are famous for. At this rate every course that hosts a prestigious USGA event will have their fingerprints over it.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kirk Gill

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »
I commented on another Oakmont thread that the course often seemed to have a very modern look to it, and in particular some of the bunker surrounds just didn't have the old dead guy quality to them. It would be interesting to compare ground-level photographs of the bunkering now vs. back when........

Who is currently the consulting architect for the course?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »
 Kirk,

I thought I had read something about this on an earlier thread but couldn't locate it.

Did Oakmont change the bunker challenge from the furrowed sand to the huge surrounds ? Was this done on purpose? Was it a tradeoff for tree removal?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:22:47 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
Mayday,

I firmly believe that he USGA suggests to Clubs wishing to hold the Open that they would need to deepen their bunkers in order to be considered for a chance to host the Championship. Merion is the obvious example and their bunker faces look idntical to those at Oakmont. It would seem that team of Fazio and MacDonald and Sons are the "Open Doctors of Bunkers".
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back