News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Is Tacoma (Pierce Co.) the Golf Destination of 2007
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:21:04 PM »
It is now all but official that the Washington State Golf Association will purchase the new course at the Dupont Dynamite factory clean up site.  Final papers are to be signed Wednesday May 23.  

With the much discussed Chambers Bay course this opening will provide two 7500+ yard courses within a few miles of each other.  

Dupont was designed by Mike Asmundson out of Scottsdale.  The project was undertaken on the mostly flat site of the Dupont factory as an environmental clean up.  Also on the Dupont parcel is the location of the first settlement in Washington state, Fort Nisqually.  

The course is built over a earthen cap and the turf is grown in a layer of Pea gravel.  The drainage is excellent and the surface very firm.  While the course has been playable for over a year, final reports to the EPA have delayed the final sale until now.  

Highlights of the course beyond the firm fast condition are the Rosseque par three 12th, a particularly intriquing green complex on seventeen, and a two very good par 5's in #5 and #15.  

Either Puget Sound, the Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier are visible on every hole making it very scenic.  The property has few trees and is buffeted by winds that sweep across the high bluff overlooking Puget Sound.  

While not as spectacular as Chambers the Dupont course provides a strong challenge and is a compliment to the nearby RT JonesII Course.  USGA championships like the Mid Amateur, and Amateur could well be staged using Dupont as a qualifying course with Chambers used for the finals matches.  

Considering the strong cadre of second tier public course at Gold mountain, Trophy Lake and McCormick Woods, and the local Privates; Tacoma Country & Golf (1907), Fircrest (Vernon Macan, 1924), Oakbrook Golf & Coutry Club (Reimer & Brout 1966) and Canterwood (R. Miurs Graves 198?), does the South Puget Sound warrant a look as a vacation stop?  

The Pierce County government has bet $21 million on it.  Is it enough for you to plan a visit?

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Is Tacoma (Pierce Co.) the Golf Destination of 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:26:49 PM »
Bill, I would agree with this. Certainly for guys like us wanting to see Chambers Bay.

I don't know much about Mark Admundson, (I think he posts here once in a while?) But I hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:35:14 PM »
Tommy I have had the opportunity of playing Dupont several times and have found it to be very good.  I will have an opportunity to play Chambers in the coming week and am looking forward to the comparison.  

Pretty exciting time for the "City of Destiny".

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »
Cos,

Is it the new golf destination for 2007?

Heck, I have no clue.

But with all this hype, I can say I am glad to have each course within 45 minutes of my house.  Not too bad for what could be the destination of 07'.....makes me smile at least.
 :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 09:17:47 AM »
Bill:

Perhaps it is the golf destination for the summer of 2007 ... because Bandon Dunes is already 100% booked for the summer!

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »
Tom
I'm sure that the Kemper folks and Pierce County executive John Ladenburg will appreciate that.  It would seem that Olde MacDonald couldn't be finished soon enough for the folks at Bandon!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
With all this hype Chambers Bay better be great...and so far every picture I have seen have made the course look great at least...I am very excited to play hear..

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:40:59 AM by Jordan Wall »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »
Cos,

I'm looking forward to DuPont and Chambers Bay when I'm in Seattle in late August.

From my experience, it would be a big mistake for a visitor to skip Macan's Fircrest if access can be obtained.  I really liked that golf course.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
Mike,
From the images I've come across with Mount Ranier in the back ground (which supposedly can't be seen because of trees nowadays), yes absolutely.

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
What a great image, Tommy.

Cos is getting all excited about Tacoma just in time -- will be out there with him next week and now we also have to check out that view (I am terrified as to what we'll find) of Fircrest's 17th as well.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:59:34 PM by Brad Klein »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »
ToNNy is right!

O.K. Colorized then if it isn't good enough!

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:48 PM »
OK Brad, I'll take you by Fircrest!  We could just about walk there from either the Cosgrove Homestead or Chambers.  

The 17th at Fircrest is my favorite green on the golf course, and I couldn't recognize it from the photo :P The fir trees completely obscure the view and the right side bunkers are either non existent or changed considerably. I three putted it only a few weeks back.  

I'll admit it has been awhile since anyone really got excited about much golf architecture in Tacoma.  I would hope that after several of the group play Oakbrook next Saturday, they might have a pleasant surprise as well.  We do have some slots available next Saturday PM for those attending the tour of Chambers on Sunday, just contact me and I'll get you the details.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
Tommy,

Thanks for that awesome picture of the 17th.  It sickens me slightlyl, however as the course is heavily treed today and there is no such view.  The picture does not show the heaving fairway of the 17th with unavoidable uneven lies which compound the need to be accurate with the second show to the narrrow volcano like green.  

The 17th and 2nd are stand-outs, as is the 18th green.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
Mike,
I came across that image after Sean Leary and Jesse Jones both informed me of just how good Fircrest was. From the looks of it, yes, it is certainly appetizing and hopefully Bill, Sean or Jesse knows somebody and could pass it along to the club in hopes of giving them a guidline of recovering some of that palatial view. My God what a great thing that would be for the course.

Of course, there could always the possibility of a Walmart sign now in part of that view!

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
No walmart sign that direction, there is one proposed 180 dgrees from there! >:(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back