News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Fairey

World Club Championship
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »
After 18 hole qualifier on Tue. first round pairings for match play

Pine Valley(US) vs Sage Valley
Sunningdale vs Winged Foot
Los Angeles CC vs Kinston Heath
Portmanock vs Royal Dornoch
Bel-Air CC vs Wentworth
Oitavos Dunes vs Royal Melbourne
Hamilton GC vs Durban
Delhi GC vs Pine Valley(China)

Tom Birkert

Re:World Club Championship
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:31:55 PM »
When / where is this Joe? They held the 2006 event at Sage Valley last November, didn't realise that it was on again so quickly, normally have a couple of friends who play in it but they're currently in the UK and I've not heard anyone talking about it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:35:59 PM »
Tiger Bernhardt is playing for Olympic Club (great win, Tiger!) in some team match in September at Portmarnock, along with some other famous clubs.  Not sure what the name of that event is, don't see O-Club in the World Club Championship so must be something else.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »
Joe,

Where is this event being held; it better be a great venue to please this crowd!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:52:26 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »
Would this be it?

Wednesday, 09 May 2007

CHANDIGARH: The Delhi Golf Club  team comprising Gagan Verma and Amit Luthra qualified  for the next stage of the World Inter-Club Golf Championship being played at the Nine Bridges Golf Club in Cheju Island, Korea.

According to information received here, the  Indian duo shot a two-under 70 in the four-ball medal play to finish amongst the top eight teams out of a total of 24 in fray.   Verma and Luthra, sponsored by ColorPlus, made a poor start going two-over after seven holes. Then they birdied the last two holes of their front nine to break even. A bogey on the 11 th was another set back. However, the Indian pair saved a stroke on the 16th and eagled the par-5 18th to manage a round of two-under.

DGC (India) will take on Pine Valley (USA) in the match play event on Wednesday. The other countries to qualify for the second round included USA, England, Australia, Scotland, South Africa, Japan and France.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Spets

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »
Joe's being modest in not listing himself as representing Sage Valley.  A fine golfer and a fine gentleman.

Joe Fairey

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »
220 pm...Jeju Island, S. Korea, Nine Bridges Golf Club...

advancing Pine Valley (US) Royal Melborne, Royal Dornoch, Delhi Golf Club, Los Angeles GC, Sunningdale...2 more tbd...pm matches starting..

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
What other clubs are participating?  The ones who didn't make it to the matches.

Good luck against Pine Valley Joe.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 08:58:50 AM »
Where is Fernandina Beach Municipal G.C. in the match play draw??

This is a massive oversight. I suggest the tournament be cancelled due to this travesty.

My certain sense is there is not a single shirtless team in the world that could beat the shirtless team from Fernandina Beach Muncipal GC. And I know there's not a ladies team in the world that could beat Fernandina Beach Municipal GC's ladies topless team.

I don't even think the team from Squires who play in their underpants could handle Fernandina Beach Municipal GC's team.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 09:00:53 AM by TEPaul »

Joe Fairey

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »
715am Thurs...Weds ended with 2 inches rain..all matches suspended....also, I am aware that this site is for golf architecture, and I will post more when I return to States...right now, time is very precious...lots happening..I can tell you that Nine Bridges is at least twice as good a golf course as I expected, and the field is twice as strong also...numerous USGA, and British Amateur and Mid AM players, as well as a several time British Walker Cupper...not a bunch of weekend players..having said that, the Aussies and Delhi GC(India) seem to be the strongest teams...we'll see come Fri...hopefully, this is of interest to many...let me know and I'll keep posting, otherwise more on Nine Bridges when I return to US, or I think you'll be able to catch the broadcast on the Golf Chan in July...fyi.. Sage Valley lost to Pine Valley(US) 1 down...fantastic up-down birdie on 18...great match with great guys...later

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:22 PM »
 8)

Should be named the "Exclusive Clubs of the World Limited Championship"..

Is Hamilton B. Hearst playing?  

While certainly exciting for the participants, frankly i don't give a damn.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Christensen

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »
we all know Hamilton doesn't leave the leafy enclave of south greenwich unless he is on his yacht......asia is too far even for this kennedy wanna-be

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 05:21:40 AM »
Pretty sure Rich Macafee played in this a few years back.

RichMacafee

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 06:01:25 AM »
Pretty sure Rich Macafee played in this a few years back.

I've played it twice, in 2002 and 2004, both at Nine Bridges in Korea. We (Kingston Heath) were lucky enough to win it in 2004 and it will be an experience I'll never forget. Just an unbelievable week to be involved in and a great way to meet some fellow golfers from around the world.

What real relevance in has in the world of amateur golf right now I'm not so sure, but it sure is an amazing week. And Joe is right, the course is actually very enjoyable and a lot better than I expected it to be.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a matchplay format though? Especially seeing our boys have been beaten by LACC by the sound of it!
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 12:26:01 PM »
Rich, you'll have played against a very good friend of mine in 02 and 04 I think. He had a great time at both events, btu couldn't get the time off work to go to this event.

I find it surprising they are having the 08 competition so soon after the 07 one.

Any updates would be appreciated!

Joe Fairey

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »
Finals Championship Div

Pine Valley(US) vs Sunningdale

Chairmans Div (not in 16 qualifiers)

Inverness vs Nauro GC

Tom Birkert

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
Thanks Joe. Found out today that my mate had an invite out to play but couldn't get the time off work. Seems our team has done better without him this time!!

Joe Fairey

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 04:19:10 AM »
Pine Valley...Sunningdale on 23rd hole sudden death...
Royal Dornoch 3rd, Los Angeles CC 4th

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back