News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

1 round along I-85 this Friday
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:22:29 AM »
Friday morning I roll out of Atlanta at 6:00 a.m. or so to go to Chapel Hill to bring my daughter home from college for the summer.  I aim to play somewhere that I've never seen more or less along the I-85 corridor on the way.  I'd like to see something cool and different, with "rankings" of no import.

Oak Hollow (early Dye in High Point, NC) is a possibility, but I'm told that rounds there on Friday afternoon can be interminable, which doesn't really work for me in this context.

My other idea was Fort Mill, SC, which has 9 holes by Ross (very late in his life, probably just drawings w/ no site visit) and 9 holes by George Cobb.  Has anyone seen this course, and, if so, what do you think of the idea?

Any other suggestions?  (And don't suggest Pinehurst/Tobacco Rd. etc.; too far out of the way on this trip.)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

bbarkley

Re:1 round along I-85 this Friday
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:15 AM »
I would suggest Arrowhead Pointe.  Wonderful "hidden gem" in north east Georgia.  I have only played the back nine which has 7 challenging holes that play along the shoreline of Lake Richard B. Russell.  Just a small drive off of 85, but well worth it.  

http://georgiagolf.com/net/go/georgiagolf.aspx?s=7430.7418.2.17

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
I've played Arrowhead, and it is a GREAT course, a true Hidden Gem.  In fact, I just exchanged some emails today with three friends coming from three different places recommending that they meet there and play.  For this trip, I'm looking for somewhere new, though.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »
A.G., have you been to Cateechee yet?  Mike Young's very good course is close to I-85 and not too far out of Atlanta.  I suspect you probably have been there as it is close.  If not, it is definitely worth a stop, very brawny on a huge piece of land.

bbarkley

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
I have done some work for two Bluegreen Golf Course Communities which are not too far from Chapel Hill.  They are Chapel Ridge and the Preserve.  Modern Courses, within moderately up-scale communities.  Each have their share of quality holes, great green complexes, plus a few quirky holes. All in all, both are on hilly terrain with interesting qualities which should not let you down.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
Although Doak himself gave it a '4' (I think it was completed in a hurry not to his specs), Charlotte Golf Links might have something worth seeing.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »
BillMcBride
I've played Cateechee several times, love it, and can and do recommend it to friends all the time.

BBarkley
I played the Preserve in April, and liked it.  I'll catch Chapel Ridge this summer when I'm in the Triangle for a few days.  This trip is for something along the way that I might not see otherwise.

ScottBurroughs
Great idea on Charlotte Golf Links, thanks!  I've printed out info from their website and will call them to see if it looks like a good bet to get on.  Definite contender! :)

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »
AG,
I agree with Scott....I think charlotte Links would be fun....also there is a Dye course right across the GA border called cross pointe or something....
I would also think you might be able to try Raleigh CC...I ear it is good.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:29:34 AM »
Mike,
The Dye course is a P.B. Dye, I believe, called Cross Creek Plantation.  I took my HS golf team up there for a tournament a couple of years ago.  It's a good course, but not one I'd make special efforts to get access to, since I've already walked it.

Raleigh CC is another one that I'll save for a visit when I'm staying in the Triangle (my parents and my in-laws both live in Durham).

I'm really looking forward to summer; we've got a trip to Long Shadow on the front burner for sometime in June.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »
How ya'll doin?

Where ever it is, make sure your close by a Waffle House. (that shouldn't be too hard!)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:58:34 AM »
A.G., being from the Atlanta area you won't find anything by Tillinghast in the southeast, but there are 2 exceptions, both of which are not far off I-85 and between Atlanta and Raleigh.

Myers Park CC & Rock Hill CC both have nine holes that were designed by Tilly. They are easy to reach and not that far from I-85.

I have never been to either but plan on making the drive up that way this summer.

From everything I have read they are consideredpretty good courses.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 12:48:23 PM »
How ya'll doin?

Where ever it is, make sure your close by a Waffle House. (that shouldn't be too hard!)

Tommy,
Being near a Waffle House while driving through GA, SC, and NC is easier than being near gas stations or McDonalds.  In fact, for years there was a Waffle House on both sides of the highway at the I-85 Suwanee exit north of Atlanta til one of them finally closed.

Sounds like you're missing it!  Come on back; the grits and hash browns will be waiting.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:51:09 PM »
A.G., being from the Atlanta area you won't find anything by Tillinghast in the southeast, but there are 2 exceptions, both of which are not far off I-85 and between Atlanta and Raleigh.

Myers Park CC & Rock Hill CC both have nine holes that were designed by Tilly. They are easy to reach and not that far from I-85.

I have never been to either but plan on making the drive up that way this summer.

From everything I have read they are consideredpretty good courses.

I'm not going to work on any access to private courses for this trip.  Plus, I just called Charlotte Golf Links and they have a tournament Friday morning with the last tee time at 11:34, which runs me much too late, with the risk of really slow play to boot.  I'll have to save that early Doak for another trip.

So keep the ideas and recommendations coming, please!

David Miller

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
If you're looking for something cool and different, I'd suggest Tot Hill in Asheboro, NC.  I played it last summer and had a blast.  It's a bona-fide Mike Strantz course--packs all the drama and strategy you'd expect from him, and at a good a value--think I paid $40 or so.  The course shouldn't be too crowded either--I had no problem getting on Saturday morning without a tee time.

The only negative: it's a little ways off I-85 (maybe 30 miles), but there should be a back way to the Triangle, and more importantly, you get off in Lexington which would allow you to grab some great Carolina BBQ.

Here's the website: http://www.tothillfarm.com/.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 01:22:35 PM »
I've been to Tot Hill, and loved it.  It isn't too far out of the way, and that may be a fall back position yet.  Still, though, I'm hoping for something new and cool, rather than a replay.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:23:06 PM by A.G._Crockett »

David Miller

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »
My other idea was Fort Mill, SC, which has 9 holes by Ross (very late in his life, probably just drawings w/ no site visit) and 9 holes by George Cobb.  Has anyone seen this course, and, if so, what do you think of the idea?

I haven't played Fort Mill, but someone on this board did recommend it to me when I asked about courses in the Charlotte area.  Here's a link to a site that has pictures of the course (and others you might be interested in): http://www.golfholes.com/sc/Fortmill.htm.  It looks quite nice and is on my short list of places to play in the area.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 01:49:12 PM »

I haven't played Fort Mill, but someone on this board did recommend it to me when I asked about courses in the Charlotte area.  Here's a link to a site that has pictures of the course (and others you might be interested in): http://www.golfholes.com/sc/Fortmill.htm.  It looks quite nice and is on my short list of places to play in the area.

David,
I remember that thread and looked for it this morning, but went all the way back to early Feb. and couldn't find it.  When was that?

Thanks for posting those pictures.  That looks very promising.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 01:52:06 PM »
A.G.,

Have you played any of the 4 total courses at Tanglewood Park and Bryan Park?

I think The Falls near Duncan, SC was locally popular, but don't know how good it is.

How good is Clemson's Walker Course?

Stoney Creek (east of Greensboro) is so-so (and tough) and Mill Creek in Mebane is OK.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »
Scott,
The Walker Course (Clemson) is very good; played it in the fall of '05 and enjoyed it a great deal.

I haven't played any of the courses at Tanglewood or Bryan Park, though I very much want to go to Bryan Park, especially.  I think one of the BP courses is hosting the Publinx soon.  I'm a little concerned that if I don't get started well before noon on a Friday that I will get caught in a slower round than I can manage, so I was aiming to play something closer to Charlotte.

I've played Mill Creek and Stoney Creek; Stoney Creek has a scramble on Friday as well; my brother (lives in Greensboro) is playing in that with some customers, which is why I'm a solo on this particular search.

David Miller

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
David,
I remember that thread and looked for it this morning, but went all the way back to early Feb. and couldn't find it.  When was that?

A.G.--Here the link to the thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=28997.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
David,

A.G.--Here the link to the thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=28997.

Thanks, David.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »
A.G.,

Try the Reynolds course at Tanglewood Park.  It's shorter and not as tough, so the round shouldn't be as slothful as one on the Championship course, but still interesting enough.  Very walkable except for the 3/4 mile trek to the first tee.  If you get paired up with anyone in a cart, just ask to ride on the back to #1.

I'd think if you're leaving at 6:00 am, you should be able to make an 11:00 time there, depending on your stops on the way.  Also, take I-77N to I-40E from Charlotte to get there.  It's not as far out of the way as it may look.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back