News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

'Noustie/'Nasty
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:27:20 PM »
Why is it that some golf courses can be so Jekyll and Hyde?

As an example, here's what I love about Carnoustie. Lovely landscape, beautiful natural greensites, splendid long views, a FEW(!) trees...

and what I FREEKIN' HATED!

What I can only bring myself to describe as a Municipal Sewage Works of ugly concrete revetments reining in the Barry Burn. Try to picture how pretty this could have been with lovely soft-edged burn banks and small attenuating wetland areas.

Mair rampant Eedjitry...

YOU must have a good personal example of Great vs. Crap from the same golf course???

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rich Goodale

Re:'Noustie/'Nasty
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:37:11 AM »
Martin

You would have loved the course in the 19th century, when you needed a boat to cross the Barry Burn and get to the 1st tee!

I personally think that the 17th, with its concrete and aw that is one of the greatest and most unique golf holes in the world.  Making the burn into some sort of Mackenzie-fetish lacy-embankment sort of thing would have been like putting Victoria's Secret knickers on the Venus de Milo..... ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 03:40:25 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:15:38 AM »
Sean

Both of them are made out of stone....

Rich

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:55:37 AM »
Sean

Concrete is just stone by another name.  Ask Barney, or even me--I was a bit of an "expert" on concrete in my youth...... ;)

Rich

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:29:55 AM »
Sean

Maybe you missed this out when you took Art 101, but the Venus de Milo is man made, as are concrete culverts.  Sorry to shatter your illusions... :'(

Rich

G Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 05:59:10 AM »
The grey walls of the burn fit in perfectly with the grey town, factories, sky, etc. The harshness or the edges fit in perfectly with the feel of the course. Whether it was a good idea or not originally, those walls have become part of carnoustie, and i wouldn't want to see them go. Remember VDV's ball bounced on the top of one of the walls... if it was all grassy and smooth it would have gone into the burn on the second shot and he would have won the Open. It's part of history. Carnoustie isn't meant to be pretty. I mean they got rid of the old innercity toilet block architecture clubhouse... next thing you know people will be wanting flowers all over the course :-)

I grew up playing the medal at Carnoustie, and just as London is a mess that you at first think could have been so much nicer if preserved (but then you grow to realise it's brilliance), so you eventually grow to appreciate that horrible concrete walls and grey skies are part of what makes carnoustie so great.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 01:03:44 PM »
The concrete revetments are CRAP - and that's the end of it.
They aren't even functional, fercrissakes. They have created such a narrow channel that the high tide backs up all the way to the practice area left of the 18th fairway. Keech!

I just noticed I typed:
'YOU must have a good personal example of Great vs. Crap from the same golf course???'

when I thought I had typed:
'YOU must have a good personal example of Great vs. Crap from some golf course???'

So, I'm actually looking for OTHER 'Noustie/'Nasties from OTHER places... sorry! (think Colt Eden holes - 'Noustie! vs. Steel Eden holes - 'Nasty!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »
Martin
I am not sure why , but I dont mind them either .

That wire fence left of 18 offends me more .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back