News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Yale
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »
I'm hoping to revisit Yale this season.  I love the place.

A number of people have contacted me this week, and here is the update as best as I know.

Yale Golf Course, sometimes referred to The Course at Yale, is only open to CT Residents and Students who reside on the Yale campus, and it seems the off-campus students in the New Haven area too. I am guessing that policy will remain for the balance of the 2020 year. I live in the "Ground Zero" area of Manhattan, so I am guessing I will be last in, if ever after this post. :) Here is the latest:

https://yalegolf.yale.edu/reopening-guidelines

I am a golf nut with an Autistic son, and that has brought me many moments of joy and sometimes frustration with the golf world as Dustin is often ignored or often given subtle signs of resistance at some of my favorite golf clubs that I have visited or have been a member of over the years.

That was never ever true at Yale Golf Course.

My friends Peter Pulaski (Pro), Scott Ramsey (Super), and some other names that I choose not to publish are all gone from Yale Golf Course in 2020. This was "baked in" prior to the Covid era, and CV-19 just gave "them" some excuses to "separate" from my friends or vice versa. The Yale friends were all "Friends of Dustin" over the years, and I genuinely appreciate their support. I hosted a bunch of fundraisers over the years at Yale and The Creek for the benefit of my son and his friends. Ran was always supportive, and I appreciate the support of Ran too.

I had so many great moments hosting so many GCAers, friends, and others from the golf world at Yale GC. However, when I saw this extremely ugly sign on the outside of the Yale GC clubhouse a couple of years ago, I knew the tides had shifted:

My beloved college sports and their venues are now at the will of corporate dollars, and this is also the case at Yale and The Ivy League. Dartmouth closed their course, and Brown dropped their golf program. To be fair, I have seen the same thing at Boston College (my undergraduate alma mater) for years, where we sold out long ago (not golf, but college sports in general).

In contrast, the Naval Academy Golf Course just re-opened after a renovation to much acclaim, but that was mainly due to a "Friend of GCA" who drove the renovation, and not corporate sponsors.

I have pictures from August 2020 of greens at Yale GC that I will not publish, and I hope the course is back on its feet this week. It was a great great run, and I genuinely hope the next management team "keep the spirit" of Yale Golf Course alive. I always wanted to host Sean Arble at Yale because it would certainly be his "cup of tea" on and off the course:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
And I am guessing Under Armour won't get to "25 years at Yale":

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/ucla-under-armour-contract-termination-lawsuit

Under Armour notified UCLA in June that it had ‘made the difficult decision’ to end its partnership with the university ‘as we have been paying for marketing benefits that we have not received for an extended time period.’
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Tim Martin

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 07:11:01 AM »
My understanding is that the 9th hole is currently closed with work in progress. Play will start on the 10th hole and finish on number 8.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2020, 09:00:38 AM »
My understanding is that the 9th hole is currently closed with work in progress. Play will start on the 10th hole and finish on number 8.

What's up with the Biarritz?

And hopefully the hot dogs at the 4/9th house will still be available.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Cal Seifert

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2020, 10:04:08 AM »

What's up with the Biarritz?

And hopefully the hot dogs at the 4/9th house will still be available.  ;)

They are doing construction on the left side of the path you cross to reach the green. Not sure what the scope of the work is though.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2020, 08:16:02 PM »
Some more info on Yale's current status if you haven't read it already.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/Yale-Golf-Course-2020

SPDB

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »
"Palacios said Chun is heading up the project, with multiple architects expressing interest."
[/size]
[/size]I'm interested in this quote. Certainly, some of the architects we would love to be engaged by the University don't need the job to make a name, but would certainly take the job. I wonder what architects have expressed interest. Any ideas?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2020, 05:17:53 AM »
"Palacios said Chun is heading up the project, with multiple architects expressing interest."

I'm interested in this quote. Certainly, some of the architects we would love to be engaged by the University don't need the job to make a name, but would certainly take the job. I wonder what architects have expressed interest. Any ideas?

Colin Sheehan has been quietly working with Gil Hanse's team for some time. I don't know the details. The green expansions have been very consistent in house. The bunkers need some work, again. However, it really needs a re-grassing similar to what happened at the Naval Academy GC. Here are some historical views that Colin maintains -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO2WGAbLvLj9aHI3-yXq2Vm14Vl_8q9azV2KH9qn9jMD1g8_KdMFMGnBnz4tQBrOg?key=cVpmNUhSM0k1NU9CZmNKZzBqYkJiZ2tueE43MmFR

I don't know new-Peter and Vicky Chun's solution at Colgate's Seven Oaks was to bring in Billy Casper Management. BCM appears to be changing from their website, so I don't know what that means to Colgate Seven Oaks. What did not work at an Upstate RTJ course, a pretty good RTJ course, is definitely not going to work at Yale GC where you have a historic design, with complicated terrain, water issues with CT, and a desire to host significant NCAA events. Through the miracle of marriage to a Colgate alumnus, I have some knowledge of Vicky Chun's work at Colgate, which was great for basically everything other than the golf course. Nothing bad was done to the course, but "lack of appreciation" is a fair assessment.

At many organizations, there is a constant need to "bring in the consultants", and dismiss the internal knowledge that has been gathered for years. Sure, Gil Hanse could help because of his clout that he has with other restorations. However, all reports are that Gil is a smart guy and would want and should get Colin's input, and Scott's input.

I don't know all the politics, but I do know an apology or two, or three would help.

Lux et veritas (light and truth) is Yale's motto. Time to start living it.  :D

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2020, 10:25:58 AM »
From Golfweek: 'How Yale, the country's best college golf course is back from the dead, by Joel Beall, Sept 30

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/Yale-Golf-Course-2020

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
"The greens were aerified for the first time in 10 years ..."

That can't be accurate, can it?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »
A semi-digression. The Duke University course is part of a hotel/conference center complex. The course generally is well maintained. Does anyone know if being part of the complex contributes positively to the economics of the golf course?

Thanks.

Kye Goalby

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2020, 02:32:14 PM »
I have  recently heard rumblings that Yale was bringing in RTJ II to help restore the course.    Anyone else heard that?

John Blain

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »
I have  recently heard rumblings that Yale was bringing in RTJ II to help restore the course.    Anyone else heard that?
I have heard the same and let's hope it's not true. You would hope they would defer to Yale golf coach Colin Sheehan but I would believe anything with that place.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »
Having fond memories of playing there some 40 plus years ago, I hope some experienced MacDonald/Raynor restoration architect would offer a "college fee". Yes, I know Yale has a huge endowment, but that is probably not the lens through which they will make its decision and it would be a shame for the restoration to fall into the wrong hands.

Ira

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2020, 08:01:39 PM »
"The greens were aerified for the first time in 10 years ..."

That can't be accurate, can it?

Not accurate. From the November 2019 newsletter:

November 2019 YGC news

November is a month to prepare the Yale Golf Course for the 2020 season.
We have planned many agronomic practices and programs to improve and protect the golf course;

Deep-tining greens will take place on November 13 and 14. The greens will be rolled and ready for play as soon after each green is aerated, so disruption to play will be minimal. We have moved the dates up this year, so all the holes will be healed over by the first mowing in 2020.
Greens and approach top-dressing has already started and will continue until early winter. The goal is to get the sand down into the greens mix profile through the deep-tine channels. Topdressing also acts to dilute the accumulation of organic matter that naturally occurs over time. Finally, I like to top-dress heavily at this time of year because it provides a blanket of insulation to prevent winter damage.
Spot aeration and seeding. The YGC staff will be aerating collars, approaches, tees and greens expansions. We will also seed these areas to bolster the turfgrass populations in the spring.
Bunkers. We have been replenishing bunker sand around the golf course.
Fall fertilization. Greens, tees, fairways and rough will all receive a final feeding in 2019 to help prepare for a great 2020.
Mowing lines will be adjusted. It is standard practice each fall to reclaim tee space lost during the year. Greens expansions will be massaged and improved. We will also be pushing back on overgrown areas, exposing the rubble and rock for 2020.
Tree management will continue. This past week we experienced an epic wind event with closed roads, power outages. Many golf courses in the area experienced downed trees and expensive cleanup. I am proud to say that our proactive tree management program prevented any such challenges other than small branches, twigs and leaves.
We have completed many other tasks this fall; including cart path repair, soiling/seeding worn areas and pond invasive species management. The ponds have been overrun with invasive Phragmites and we are in year two of a three-year project to reclaim the water courses on the property.
HOW GOOD HAS THE DRAINAGE BEEN?!

Scott M Ramsay, CGCS

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
I have heard the same and let's hope it's not true. You would hope they would defer to Yale golf coach Colin Sheehan but I would believe anything with that place.

John,
The mention of Seven Oaks always makes me smile. I still remember you telling me in the pro shop that I could beat a 20 year old that had just lost to Danny Green in the semi finals of the USGA Pub Links. That was without a doubt the most fun I have ever had in a golf tournament. As an old friend who has long passed used to tell me when he hit a great shot “shades of the past”......I have to get back there. I haven’t played the course since.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Blain

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »

John,
The mention of Seven Oaks always makes me smile. I still remember you telling me in the pro shop that I could beat a 20 year old that had just lost to Danny Green in the semi finals of the USGA Pub Links. That was without a doubt the most fun I have ever had in a golf tournament. As an old friend who has long passed used to tell me when he hit a great shot “shades of the past”......I have to get back there. I haven’t played the course since.
Rob-
I believe you are referring  to the 2001 NYS Amateur @ Seven Oaks. Even though it was over 19 years ago I remember that conversation that we had in the pro shop like it was yesterday. The player you are referring to was Adam Fuchs who back then was a good young college player who, as you mentioned, reached the semi-final round of the USGA Public Links losing to Danny Green. If I recall it was a second round match and you handled him with relative ease, maybe like 4&3 or something? I want to say you got as far as the quarters or semis that year? It was an all - Rochester final with Kevin Haefner beating Dan Ricci in the 36 hole final. Haefner was the pre-tournament favorite and the on-site qualifying medalist (he shot 136 which was 8 under par) and Ricci was a very unlikely finalist but good on him for getting that far.
Even though this started out as a thread about Yale GC it's never a bad time to reflect on great memories. I hope you're well.
-John

Rob Marshall

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
Exactly right. I lost to Dan 1 up in quarters. 19 years ago. Wow.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Blain

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »

I'm interested in this quote. Certainly, some of the architects we would love to be engaged by the University don't need the job to make a name, but would certainly take the job. I wonder what architects have expressed interest. Any ideas?

Colin Sheehan has been quietly working with Gil Hanse's team for some time. I don't know the details. The green expansions have been very consistent in house. The bunkers need some work, again. However, it really needs a re-grassing similar to what happened at the Naval Academy GC. Here are some historical views that Colin maintains -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO2WGAbLvLj9aHI3-yXq2Vm14Vl_8q9azV2KH9qn9jMD1g8_KdMFMGnBnz4tQBrOg?key=cVpmNUhSM0k1NU9CZmNKZzBqYkJiZ2tueE43MmFR

I don't know new-Peter and Vicky Chun's solution at Colgate's Seven Oaks was to bring in Billy Casper Management. BCM appears to be changing from their website, so I don't know what that means to Colgate Seven Oaks. What did not work at an Upstate RTJ course, a pretty good RTJ course, is definitely not going to work at Yale GC where you have a historic design, with complicated terrain, water issues with CT, and a desire to host significant NCAA events. Through the miracle of marriage to a Colgate alumnus, I have some knowledge of Vicky Chun's work at Colgate, which was great for basically everything other than the golf course. Nothing bad was done to the course, but "lack of appreciation" is a fair assessment.

At many organizations, there is a constant need to "bring in the consultants", and dismiss the internal knowledge that has been gathered for years. Sure, Gil Hanse could help because of his clout that he has with other restorations. However, all reports are that Gil is a smart guy and would want and should get Colin's input, and Scott's input.

I don't know all the politics, but I do know an apology or two, or three would help.

Lux et veritas (light and truth) is Yale's motto. Time to start living it.  :D

Mike-
I believe you are misinformed regarding Vicki Chun's involvement with Seven Oaks while she was Colgate's AD. A few years before she even became the AD the responsibility of the golf course was transferred over from athletics to administration so Vicki never had anything to do with Seven Oaks including bringing in Billy Casper Management. BCM was only brought in to run the pro shop, they have nothing to do with course maintenance or the clubhouse and they certainly have nothing to do with anything architecturally regarding the golf course.
As you may know there are plans in the works to build a new clubhouse and renovate the golf course and they are trying to raise the necessary funds. The architects will be Ron Forse and Jim Nagle. When this all is going to happen is anyone's guess but looking at the current clubhouse I think it needs to happen sooner rather than later.
I hope you are well.
John

Tim Martin

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »
It’s looks like their website has reclaimed the name Yale Golf Course and scrapped The Course at Yale. Thankfully. :)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
Goodness knows I looked the other way over the years, but come on, make a little effort Yale:

Cal Seifert

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
Does anyone know the purpose of the work done on the Biarritz hole?  Looks like the path is much more diagonal towards the green from the teebox. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
Does anyone know the purpose of the work done on the Biarritz hole?  Looks like the path is much more diagonal towards the green from the teebox.

Cal-They released a “Winter Golf Course Update” on January 4th which made reference to the 9th hole dam project being completed in November.

Mike Feeney

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back