News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Coan

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4032619a1823.html

Michael Hill, a jeweller that has made a fortune in NZ and Australia, owns a private (no membership) course in the Queenstown area.  This has always been a nine hole course and has just added another nine in the past year.

Now he is ponying up 1 million to NZ Golf in order to host this years Open.

One wonders why Mr. Robertson, after spending 10's of millions on Cape Kidnappers, would not offer up a million and one dollars and get Kidnappers to host the Open.  Would be awesome to see the pro's tested around that track in some breeze!  

Jim Nugent

I keep hoping, probably in vain, that they will hold the Presidents Cup at CK one day.  We talked about that in a thread last year, and word was that Robertson wasn't interested in the Cup then.  Imagine seeing the Presidents Cup there, in high definition TV, or even better newer technology that might be available in the next ten years.

Ash Towe

I would be amazed if Mr Robertson does not make a bid for the Open at some stage.  He could provide the funds to attract a stellar field.  If the wind blew it would be a stern test.

Tom_Doak

I feel obliged to inject a note of seriousness into this discussion.

What do you guys honestly think it's worth to Julian Robertson to host the NZ Open at Cape Kidnappers?  You really think it's worth more than a million dollars?  The course already has a great reputation and the international exposure from the NZ Open is not that great.

I remember when we were building Pacific Dunes, Mike Keiser was offered the "great opportunity" to host what wound up being "The Battle at BigHorn" at Bandon Dunes instead.  It would have cost him $4 million for 3 years.  But without real estate to sell, that's a ridiculous marketing investment in golf.  And Bandon Dunes has managed to do just fine in spite of passing on the opportunity.

Bob_Huntley

I would be amazed if Mr Robertson does not make a bid for the Open at some stage.  He could provide the funds to attract a stellar field.  If the wind blew it would be a stern test.

Ash,

Mr. Robertson is a very rich man because he does not allow ego to overtake his very best business accumen. If he thought it at all worthwhile he may have made the offer, in view of the fact that he hasn't done so, shows that he feels it is not worthwhile.

Bob

Tom_Doak

Bob:

Actually he made an offer three years ago, but they had their hands out asking for much more, and he didn't feel it was worth it at the time.

However, I can say that it really bothers him they don't want to play the tournament there.  He thinks they should be looking at the big picture (promoting golf tourism in New Zealand) but that they are looking at the small picture (the amount of money someone will put in their pockets).

Jonathan Cummings

Let's play our own rating game and measure some rather unscientific categories regarding Kidnappers - like daunting, scale, drama, suspense, anticipation, Wow-factor and build up. CK would blow the field away using these comparisons.

Stern but fair and continually interesting, Kidnappers could proudly host any tournament in the world....in calm conditions.  Let the wind howl and this place becomes as vexing as PVGC on steroids and scores would likely soar to embarrassment levels!

JC

Andrew Thomson

spectator safety could be an issue  ::)

Ash Towe

Bob,
Clearly Mr Robertson is very smart.  I would presume any bid for the NZ Open would have been made on sound commercial reasons.  
The next ceo of NZ Golf needs to involve such people as Mr Robertson so they can help overcome the losses the tournament has made for the last two years.
Cheers Ash

Scott Coan

I feel obliged to inject a note of seriousness into this discussion.

What do you guys honestly think it's worth to Julian Robertson to host the NZ Open at Cape Kidnappers?  You really think it's worth more than a million dollars?  The course already has a great reputation and the international exposure from the NZ Open is not that great.

I remember when we were building Pacific Dunes, Mike Keiser was offered the "great opportunity" to host what wound up being "The Battle at BigHorn" at Bandon Dunes instead.  It would have cost him $4 million for 3 years.  But without real estate to sell, that's a ridiculous marketing investment in golf.  And Bandon Dunes has managed to do just fine in spite of passing on the opportunity.

The new Hills Course outside Queenstown has been confirmed as hosting the next 3 NZ Opens:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4044901a1823.html

I'm just a working schmuck, but it seems to me that 1 million NZ dollars (750k US) to host a European/Australasion Tour co-sanctioned event is pocket change to a guy that measures his wealth in the Billions.  What is it to host a USPGA Tour event, 7 million?  An Open tournament (actually the 100th playing of the NZ Open) with the likes of Ernie Els, Paul Casey, Henrik Stenson, Retief Goosen, Sergio Garcia, Stuart Appleby, Robert Allenby, Adam Scott, etc. is a slightly different kettle of fish than the Battle of the Bighorn.  And while Bandon Dunes may be going like gangbusters, Cape Kidnappers certainly does not appear to be.

It's estimated that the international TV audience will be 20 million viewers for this years Open.  Despite it's great reputation, we played Kidnappers the other day and were the only group on the course for the entire day.  I've now played it a dozen+ times and at least half those occasions have been on a completely empty course.   I pity the poor souls that have to trudge up the hill to work in the pro shop day after day - greeting nobody, or perhaps 3 or 4 foursomes at most per day.  It's emptiness proves that it could use a lot more international exposure.  

So hats off to Michael Hill, whose 1-member course will now be beamed to those 20 million golf households.  Apparently he thinks it is a good marketing investment.  Obviously completely different businessmen with completely different agendas, but both concerned about promoting NZ golf tourism.  Interesting how one took the bull by the horns.

There is no question that the Open will get to CK one day, but with it's new lodge scheduled to open the end of the year Mr. Robertson could have offered quite a nice enticement to produce a stellar field on a wonderful course.  Perhaps the infrastucture is just not ready yet.

It will be interesting to see how many Aussies/Euro's Mr. Hill and Michael Campbell can convince to come to Queenstown.

Tom_Doak

Scott:

I spoke to Mr. Robertson a couple of weeks ago after he got back from New Zealand for the winter.  He was very pleased with the increase in play this year from the previous year, and also in the reduction of maintenance costs by going fast and firm.

TV exposure of Cape Kidnappers or the Hills Course is not going to make a lot more people buy trans-Pacific airline tickets.  New Zealand is a great destination, but it's a long trip and the time commitment is out of question for most people.  If you want a new golf course to be financially successful there, throwing millions at marketing is a problem, not a solution, and Mr. Robertson made the bulk of his money by betting against bad propositions.

Just count your blessings that he decided to spend some of his money on Cape Kidnappers so you can enjoy it.  I know I do.

Ash Towe

Scott,
Peter Williams in the New Zealand Herald of 29 April reported that there are plans for a $2 million dollar event to be played at Cape Kidnappers immediately following th NZ Open.  The tournament will be 10 players over 36 holes and all the participants will have played in the Open.

Scott Coan

Ash and Tom,

Looks indeed like we will be getting the best of both worlds if this 2 million $ invitational comes to fruition.  With Mr. Robertson's association with Michael Campbell at Kauri Cliffs and Cambo's close association with the NZ Open it just seems a natural to have Kidnappers involved in the mix.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=503&objectid=10436708

"Moves are afoot for a new $2 million tournament involving 10 of the world's prominent players at Cape Kidnappers in conjunction with the New Zealand Open.

The plans are part of a concerted effort to attract a quality field to the Open - the venue for which will be announced this week but which will be at the Michael Hill-owned facility near Queenstown, as first revealed by the Herald on Sunday on March 18.

However, it is understood negotiations are under way to hold a 36-hole, made-for-TV event at Cape Kidnappers two days after the New Zealand Open, with some serious money on offer. Julian Robertson, the American owner of the magnificent Hawke's Bay course, is keen to host the two days as long as a quality field can be assembled.

Talk has been of an elite field of 10 competing for up to $2 million, as long as the players appear in the New Zealand Open first.

Michael Campbell is the key to this happening. He wants his home Open championship to be a memorable event on the European Tour - and he wants some of the best players in the world taking part."

Jim Nugent

What players do they hope to get for the CK event?  

Kevin_Reilly

Re: NZ Open up for sale; where is Julian Robertson & his Cape Kidnappers?
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »
I just saw that Julian Robertson passed away today.  I wonder if that will have any impact on his NZ properties/courses (assuming he still owned them).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 07:28:05 PM »
I think he still owned them, I believe his son was very involved in the management of the resorts.  They really are spectacular properties.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2022, 05:14:07 AM »
I think he still owned them, I believe his son was very involved in the management of the resorts.  They really are spectacular properties.

His family still owns them and will most likely continue managing them in an identical fashion. Julian was an exceptional man who had a vision for exciting and rewarding golf in NZ.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back