News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Another Win for the Trees
« on: April 08, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »
Let's face it, Tiger was done in by the trees - just like Phil at Winged Foot.  Tiger had tree trouble throughout the week, culminating today with second shot on 15.  But is it too much to ask of the presumptive greatest ever that he avoid the trees when he's under the gun?  

If Augusta had merely added the length and not the trees, Tiger would win all the time. He can deal with bad angles.  The real Tiger proofing is the trees.  He'll win his share, but the trees are what keep him honest.

tlavin

Re:Another Win for the Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:23:53 PM »
With a lot of trees, whether Georgia pines or Illinois oaks, it's "Lashie Go Home".  You just can't get away with a wayward driver.  It puts too much pressure on the other parts of your game.  There are only so many times that you can escape from an arboreal nightmare...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
Phil,

Have you just taken a job in the Nursery business?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:25:35 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 08:34:16 PM »
Wrong.  The trees brought the heroic recovery back to The Masters - the Seve-shot.

Retief on #5.

Eldrick on #2.

Eldrick trying it on #15 and deciding the tournament.

Oh, and by the way, Zach didn't hit it in the trees on the back nine on Sunday....

I understand what you are trying to say with your posts Shivas.  But the reality is, that shot by Tiger on #2 was just a punch down the fairway.  I didn't see anything heroic about it.  His wedge into that tucked pin, now that was a nice shot...

I would agree most of the fairways are still pretty wide, but 11 and 17 are just ridiciuosly narrow now with all the addition of the trees.  It is U.S. Open style golf, and only amounts to who can hit the ball straight...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:43:55 PM »
They did hint at this a few times.  I heard at least twice today them say about 11.

"He hit into the trees where the fairway used to be a couple of years back"

As to the lack of mentions though, why talk about the stupid trees when there is much more noteworthy items like the green complexes, strategic holes, and history to rave about.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:46:05 PM »
I wasn't there this year but I was last year and I don't believe the course is that much changed in one year. The ANGC is still a very wide golf course.  Yes 11, 18 tee shot, and 15 have been tightened in recent years but it's still a very open golf course by the standards of any parkland golf course.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »
Shivas,
I would much rather have seen a large Mackenzie style bunker placed on the right side of the fairway on #15 rather than all of new pine trees.  It would be much more fun to watch golfers debate whether they layup or have a go from a sandy lie 225 yards or so from the green.  Remember the shot Tiger pulled off in the Canadian Open from the bunker over the water  ;)  With the pine trees on #15, most golfers just pitch out as a shot like Tiger tried is only in desparation.

Furthermore, if you have ever been to Augusta and seen that part of the golf course, it offers (at least it used to offer) some of the best long range views of the golf course.  Now you look at the back of pine trees  :(
Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
Kanlen, every single guy I saw hit it into the trees over the weekend -- every single one - tried something heroic or aggressive.

Every single one.

Who didn't?  Please name one.

Tiger broke a club and lost the Masters out of those trees trying to be a hero.  The only time in his career.  Tiger hasn't blown a lead since he was barely pre-pubescent....

These trees are perfect.

And you guys are all bemoaning them?  C'mon....  

I did see some nice shots out of the trees Shivas...but I will give you one example and thats what I already mentinoned.  How was Tigers shot "heroic" on #2 today?  He punched it thru the trees back to the fairway.  And I saw that on a number of other occasions.  Does finding a hole to punch it thru that is on the line to the green make it heroic??
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:51:47 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
Shivas,
I take it you have never seen Augusta in person?  You might feel otherwise if you did.
Mark

Phil Benedict

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 08:54:41 PM »
Absent penal rough (and who likes that) trees are the only way to test accuracy.  Tiger is great but flawed - he's not a very accurate driver. Should he be held accountable for that on a course that holds a major every year?  I say yes.  Plus as Shivas has pointed out, he has the opportunity to hit an heroic recovery from the trees, or even break a club. I don't want trees on my course but Augusta is a championship venue.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »
Does Mackenzie's quote about building courses which appeal to the broadest mass apply to Augusta National any longer???

Just wonderin' :-X

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »
Does Mackenzie's quote about building courses which appeal to the broadest mass apply to Augusta National any longer???

Does Mackenzie's quote refer to ANGC, the member's course, or ANGC, the tournament course?

Or, was ANGC ever intended for broad appeal, or was intended for a very limited clientèle, and a tournament?

More wonderin',

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Phil Benedict

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »

Augusta hosts a major every year.  I don't see how you can hold it to the same standards as other courses.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 09:09:41 PM »
Augusta hosts a major every year.  I don't see how you can hold it to the same standards as other courses.

That was the course's orignal charter.  Are you saying it can't be done anymore?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Phil Benedict

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 09:20:52 PM »
I think the idea of Augusta as a 'member's course' is hopelessly sentimental.  The place is defined by the Masters. I doubt that many of the members are complaining about the course changes.  And I bet most of them are pretty happy that the club has been somewhat successful in Tiger proofing the course.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:29:09 PM »

And I bet most of them are pretty happy that the club has been somewhat successful in Tiger proofing the course.

I doubt that...I just talked to my 75 or so old parents and they thought the tournament was a bust because Tiger couldn't get it done.  Old people and members always pull for famous champions to win their tournament.  This post is not meant to imply my parents are members of Augusta..just that they are old.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »
fwiw, I think Johnson was first in driving accuracy this week
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »
I think the biggest change in the dynamics of the back nine is the narrowing of 15 an 17. It removes the chance for a 6 shot wing on the back. The best anyone could have hoped for today was 3-4 under.

Lengthening was a wise move; it did restore the shot values that slipped due to the multi cover ball era.

I'm still trying to see the benefits of the "second cut".

The planting of trees says only one thing: We don't like pro golfers shooting very far under par on our course.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »
Dave, let's face it.  You like to watch trick shots.  You don't seem too interested in seeing a nice controlled or placed drive and a well executed approach from the best angle.   If it didn't have to squirt through a lumber yard on its way to the green or vicinity, it don't get your trigger squeezed.  ::)  

That is fine.  That is your preference.  Phil seems right to me.  It is the ultimate Tiger proofing.  At least until Tiger finds a way to play like Hoylake, and insure he will hit all FWs, yield a few yards off the tee by going with 3W, 2I, or such and make it up on the superior mid and long iron approach.  It is said that Tiger can beat'em all from the FW.  I would love to see Tiger do this whole week over again with no driver in his bag.

So, if it is Tiger proofing we are after, and we start to get unexpected champions, does that mean that Tiger is no longer the greatest golfer, or that luck and plodding will be the new definition of greatness?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 09:45:21 PM »
Dick,

The truth is Dave is trying to pick up tips on how to punch out of the wood now that he doesn't carry a 1 or 2 iron.  :D

Phil Benedict

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »
Pete,

I am sure you are right that the trees were added to protect par.  But as  by-product they expose Tiger's sole weakness.  Quite frankly, the novelty of seeing Tiger fail is more interesting to me than another bloodless Tiger win.

Bruceski

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 09:54:34 PM »
Ultimately Augusta National is about the Masters and nothing more. The trees and the second cut amplify Tiger's only weakness (driving the golf ball straight). Without the trees and the second cut Tiger wins by at least 5 shots today, and he would likely win every Masters. If you want the Masters to be like Wimbledon in the Federer Era, then take out the trees.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »
Pete, it turned Retief Goosen into Seve Ballesteros.

How many times did Retief have to hit a punchy little hooker out of the woods?  It isn't like he is in the car park after every tee shot like Seve.  ::)  My guess is the Goose's pulse rate didn't even climb two more beats a minute.  If Seve were playing today, he'd have been doing the Flamenco dance out there in the woods.  

BTW, did anyone see Seve in the first two rounds do anything Sevelike?  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »
Ultimately Augusta National is about the Masters and nothing more. The trees and the second cut amplify Tiger's only weakness (driving the golf ball straight). Without the trees and the second cut Tiger wins by at least 5 shots today, and he would likely win every Masters. If you want the Masters to be like Wimbledon in the Federer Era, then take out the trees.

This is my last post before I go to sleep.

Unlike Tiger, Federer has no weakness.  And if he's like most tennis players, he only has a few more years at the top, whereas Tiger may be competitive for 10-15 more years.  I'm happy to see him challenged.  And if it means a few more trees at Augusta, so be it.

Tim Bert

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 10:15:55 PM »
Clay???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back