News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re:The Golf Digest Top 100 List is now posted
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
Huck,

I do understand your reluctance perfectly.  I do wish that more GD panelists would participate here and defend the list and then we'd have some pretty good debate.  

Before you get upset with David Carroll, please remember that he's good friends with Jim Franklin, another GD panelist.

We all like bustin' balls a bit and you love it yourself.  ;)  

Mike  

JR Potts

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:52 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the ARCHITECTS are getting no love on the public side? I guess who designs the course is of no importance to these guys.

Why should the architect be important?  Shouldn't this be all about the product?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:40:52 AM by Ryan Potts »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:27 AM »
Well, to just name two Hucks, and mind you, I haven't played hardly any of these, Riviera 61? Is Victoria National (no disrespect JK) 40 spots better than Riviera? Muirfield Village at 18? Is that 20 spots better than SFGC? I'm not sure.

And James, we'll see how long I last.  As one of the few and the proud Golf Digest panelists participating here, I usually defend our list for an hour or two before I get beaten down.  I may not even try that hard this time... it's rather counterproductive - like being a Christian missionary in Baghdad.  But we'll see.....

;)

Tom,
Gotta agree with you there, I'm going to give this a shot but don't plan on lasting too long myself :)

I've said many times on here (as has Jim Franklin) that I loved Kingsley and think its worthy of the top 100. However, a course is not going to jump from #20 in Michigan to the top 100 in two years. There's unfortunately too many panelists that evidently did not like the place for it to jump much until their ratings expire...at least that's my guess. The sooner the better though...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »
Huck,

I do understand your reluctance perfectly.  I do wish that more GD panelists would participate here and defend the list and then we'd have some pretty good debate.  

Before you get upset with David Carroll, please remember that he's good friends with Jim Franklin, another GD panelist.

We all like bustin' balls a bit and you love it yourself.  ;)  

Mike  

If it was bustin' balls, I'd dig it and get into it.
I don't trust that it is such.

But I shall watch and see.....

TH

david h. carroll

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 11:43:08 AM »
some others which fails to explain BCC omission in terms of comparabilty especially as they are Tillies and ranked around BCC in GW:

Winged Foot East
GD 43
GW 36

Baltusrol Lower
GD 44
GW 38

BCC (east)
GD nr
GW 31

AGAIN, PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS JOKE OF A MAGAZINE AND THE STUPID PROCESS.

david h. carroll

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »
and Jim Franklin and I are more than just friends....

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 11:45:23 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the ARCHITECTS are getting no love on the public side? I guess who designs the course is of no importance to these guys.

Why should the architect be important?  Shouldn't this be all about the product?

Yea who am I kidding. These guys deserve no credit for what they are doing. :-\
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:46:47 AM by Ryan Farrow »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
and Jim Franklin and I are more than just friends....

Am I missing something here?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 11:47:19 AM »
Huck

Keep on yuckin'!  We need you on this fateful day......

In the interim, can anybody who has played both tell me why Riviera might possibly be better than Dallas National?  "Just because!" is not a valid answer.

Paging Lou Duran.

david h. carroll

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 11:49:14 AM »
we're partners......during most of our State A Team matches!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
Farnsworth,

I think the intamcies and strategies are much better in the Pallisaides.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »
Huck

Keep on yuckin'!  We need you on this fateful day......

In the interim, can anybody who has played both tell me why Riviera might possibly be better than Dallas National?  "Just because!" is not a valid answer.

Paging Lou Duran.

Because Riviera just may be better than Oakmont. And according to those rankings and every rating Oakmont has gotten in the last ahh.....100 years that should place Riviera at least in the top 10.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
Thanks, Adam

But say something more meaningful, please, i.e. because..........

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2007, 11:54:25 AM »
On the public list...  Pasatiempo is way too low.. I mean Wolf Creek and Bay Harbor better than Pasa?   no freaking way..  Huckaby you guys got some splaining to do. :)

And what the heck are you guys thinking with Ko'olau... apparently high slope impresses you guys.

Good to see Black Mesa in there!

Quarry Oaks is there and Wildhorse is not?!?  Time for some new criteria boys.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:00:33 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »
Ryan.

How do you know that Dallas National is not better than both Oakmont and Riviera?  And if you do know, please tell us how and why.....

Again, "Just because" is not a reply which is likely to gain my respect, if you care.  "...intamcies and strategies are much better...." is not much better, BTW

<<<<<<<<see emoticon to the left

John Shimp

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2007, 12:14:07 PM »
Fazio owns the GD list.  Didn't count but had to be greater than 10 courses.  Many on the rise too.

John Kirk

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 12:56:35 PM »
Hmmm, let's see...

Lost Dunes debuted at 63.  Pretty good!  Tom Doak now has two courses on the list.  Pacific Dunes made a big move from 22 to 14, and is now among a very elite group.

Pretty funny that Medinah #3 moved up to 11, given all the criticisms Ryan Potts has been deflecting since he joined GCA.  Sorry, Ryan, fairways too narrow and greens too flat for me.

Kinloch moved from 33 to 29.  My biased opinion says it deserves that position.  Great place.

Eugene moved from 100 to 64.  This baffles me.  It's a very nice course, and very tough, with fast, sloped greens.  Once again, I find the tree corridors much too narrow for my liking.  Although Eugene may be a better overall test of golf, I strongly prefer Pasatiempo.

I need to understand better why Tom Fazio's courses dominate the top 100.  Wade Hampton, at 15, looks awfully pretty in pictures.  Is it walkable?  Isn't it always too wet?

There's a fairly large discrepancy between Golf Digest (99) and Golfweek (4 modern) regarding Pete Dye Golf Club.

The Kingsley Club was recently mentioned as the 37th best "retreat" by Golf Digest.  In the last rankings, it was 20th best in Michigan.  Although not in the top 100, my guess is Kingsley moved up significantly in Michigan state rankings.      

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 12:58:03 PM »
Missing - Lawsonia
Tullymore in the top 100?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

David Kelly

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
If there are only 48 golf courses in the United States better than Flint Hills National I will eat my collection of bucket hats.

By having Flint Hills National at #49 so close to Prairie Dunes at #30 the GD people are saying that those courses are essentially a wash.  To me that is insane.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2007, 01:27:02 PM »
Medinah is rated better than Sand Hills, NGLA, Pac Dunes, Pinehurst #2, Prairie Dunes, among others.  

david h. carroll

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 01:27:44 PM »
and Canterbury at #100 in GW classic, #94 in GD overall?  How can it be possible that BCC, Wannamoisett, Yale, Yeaman's, Myopia, Newport etc are left out?  They all were top 50 in GW classic.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »
Questions:

-- No Wild Horse on the public list, but Links of ND is on it? I need new glasses, perhaps I'm just not seeing Wild Horse on the list?

-- Is Sand Ridge worthy of being #60?

Jason Topp

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
I don't think the list is that bad for the courses I have played.  My differences would largely be a matter of taste rather than any reasonably objective standard of quality.

Except . . .

Wild Horse not even in the top 100 public?  

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
The Donald won't be happy that Trump International fell off the list.  Someone will soon be hearing, You're Fired!!!" :'(

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »

Why does Tom Huckaby have explaining to do?  He is just one person and has been quite candid in his assesments on this site.  Would it be breaking protocol if Mr. Huckaby posted his top 100?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back