News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The GC at Bear Dance / Colorado Public Golf
« on: September 15, 2002, 04:13:53 PM »
On my latest venture out west beyond playing Wild Hose I also had the opportunity to play the new GC at Bear Dance in Larkspur -- south of Denver and right off of I-25. The facility is about 5 miles south of the Castle Rock area.

Bear Dance is the creation of a trio of PGA professionals and is now home of the Colorado PGA section.

The course tips out at 7,661 yards and plays to a 74.0 rating with a slope of 141. The course terrain is a wonderous journey of rolling land and features an array of beautiful vistas that showcase the Front Range and nearby Pike's Peak.

The strength of Bear Dance is the manner in which risk'n reward is present at nearly evey hole. The 1st is a good example. The hole plays 502 yards from the tips and is a par-4. The hole descends down a hill quite quickly and there is a plateau landing area where the prudent play is to hit to. Golfers who go too far or just a bit offline can encounter a range of problems. The hole is not nearly about length but about position.

The greens at Bear Dance are also appropriately contoured. It's critical you iron play take in exactly where the pin is located on many holes. Get above the hole and you better have a jeweler's touch.

As I said at the outset there are many holes at Bear Dance where you can play as aggressive as you like and if the shot comes off you will be rewarded. The par-5 5th is another example. On this 571-yard par-5 you can cut off as much as possible on this dog-leg right hole. The catch? Make sure you fly a huge bunker that eats into the right hand side. From the tip tees you can't see it but it's there waiting for the shot that fails to carry to its anticipated landing spot.

The front nine closes with a strong uphill par-4 that plays 502 yards. The golfer must hit a tee shot that favors the left side. Pull it or push too far right and the demands only increase dramatically. The green is also quite deep and if the proper club isn't chosen you will likely encounter a quick three-putt --if not worse.

The back nine features a solid array of different holes as they turn both left and right. Again, you can play aggressive or take a more cautious route.

I'd be most curious to know if others on GCA have played the course and how they believe it stacks up against other public courses in Colorado. In my mind -- I'd have it at the top but my public portfolio in Colorado clearly isn't as deep as others.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Joe Hancock

Re: The GC at Bear Dance / Colorado Public Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2002, 05:48:27 PM »
I'm just waiting for all the " Wild Hose" jokes to fly....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brad Swanson

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 05:55:18 PM »
Matt,
   I have been meaning to play there this summer, but decided against playing on a brand new course considering the drought conditions.  How was the course condition, anyway?

Brad Swanson

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2002, 05:55:46 PM »
Joe:

That's quite good -- Wild Hose ... helluva course indeed! ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, have you played both Bear Dance and Wild Horse or either of them?

Thanks! ;)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 06:19:36 PM »
Matt,

Unfortunately, all of my golf has been Michigan, Ohio, NC, SC, KS and FL. I really need to get out more! The common thought is when you're in the golf business, you get to play a lot, and I do get in my fair share. But golf trips are tough. I'm only 41, and 3 kids, and the golf course, and...and....

I hope my lack of worldwide travel doesn't make my input less appreciated here. I do love hearing about courses in states I've never been to. I know some day I will get to travel and visit many of these places I am learning of here.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 08:53:28 PM »
Brad:

The turf conditions at Bear Dance were quite good given the undeniable fact that Colorado has gone through one of the worst years regarding water availability. Just about every course in the state is under close observation regarding how much H20 can be used.

Bear Dance was quite firm and the greens were not so unbelievably swift but I believe they were about to be cut for the upcoming Colorado PGA Section Championship which finished last week -- I played the course on September 5.

The greens at Bear Dance appear to be benign but they are quite challenging on a few holes -- one of the most demanding is the long par-4 11th.

To the credit of Bear Dance and its superintendent the fairways were not overly watered as they were at some of the courses I visited in New Mexico.

If I had to give a grade on just turf quality I'd give Bear Dance no less than a solid "B."

Brad, do you live in Colorado and if you do how have things been at other courses you've played. I know I had the opportunity in late May to visit a few of the courses in the Aspen and Vail areas and at the time they were dry because the snow melt was half of what usually takes place.

Maybe Dough Wright can respond on how things are shaking out.

Hope this helps ...

P.S. If you do play Bear Dance get either a very early or late tee time. There's plenty of people who believe they can handle such a challenging layot. Bear Dance is not Wellshire by any means!

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 08:47:31 AM »
Matt,

Thanks for the report on what I hear is a fine new course--I've tried at least 3 times to get on but each time (including last week) they're having a "function."  :( I'll get there soon though and report back. As I understand it, it's a kind of "sel-made" course, where the landowner and a couple of other  non-professionals got together and designed the course themselves, brought in some shapers and put it all together. They actually were quite lucky--that wildfire early this summer (started by a Forest Service employee no less) got reasonably close to Bear Dance before being contained.

As far as Colorado golf conditions are concerned, it's a mixed bag depending in large part on who's got what water rights. We've had a terrible drought here, and some courses have suffered. I played at a great hidden gem in Southern Colo, Grandote, that had totally lost its fairways; Brad Swanson says his home course, Green Valley Ranch in metro Denver near DIA, also has suffered from the drought. Others seem to be holding their own. Lately we've had some moisture so things should be better for the balance of the fall.

All The Best,  

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back