News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

If DICK WILSON were alive, would Redstone be his course
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »
Watching the Shell Houston Open yesterday I kept thinking that if Dick wilson were still alive and still drinking, he might have designed this Redstone Course.  Many of the shots reminded me of his courses on steroids.  Am I correct to assume the bunkering looks better at golfer level than from the blimp?
I admire Dick Wilson's work and feel Rees Jones must too!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:If DICK WILSON were alive, would Redstone be his course
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
I hope not.

mikes1160

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
It sure isn't Phil Blackmar's - two 9's in one round - yow......

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
I never even thought about that until you mentioned it but it's true. As for the course I don't care for it, there is nothing that gets me excited about playing it and it's a joke for the spectators.  I prefer the Member Course at Redstone much moore. Now that said I wish they would move it back to The Woodlands.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »
 8)

like baseball, its much more fun to play than watch golf at Redstone's tourny course.. I find it most interesting to catch action at the practice range there.. wander out #1 or 18 cross the bayou and hang on the 17-13 loop

pet peeve, i imagine Wilson wouldn't have made 50-200+ yard treks between green to tees.. making a 7 mile walk..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »
8)

like baseball, its much more fun to play than watch golf at Redstone's tourny course.. I find it most interesting to catch action at the practice range there.. wander out #1 or 18 cross the bayou and hang on the 17-13 loop

pet peeve, i imagine Wilson wouldn't have made 50-200+ yard treks between green to tees.. making a 7 mile walk..

I get a kick out of their building a "Tournament Course" yet it seems likes there was never once a thought given towards the spectators.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
Sam, I can't tell you how many times I told my wife and brother the same thing while watching the tournament Thursday.  How in the world do you build that course with the exclusive purpose of building it for a PGA Tour event and come up with that layout?  My wife is walking around 7 months pregnant and we're trying to figure out where you can go to watch more than one hole at a time.  When finally just followed Jason Gore and P. Harrington for a few holes and went back to our condo before my wife went into premature labor.  

I played the old TPC course last year when visiting Houston and liked the layout quite a bit; it offered some good character.  Redstone is just long and standard Rees stuff from there.  Course was in great shape though.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
Sam, I can't tell you how many times I told my wife and brother the same thing while watching the tournament Thursday.  How in the world do you build that course with the exclusive purpose of building it for a PGA Tour event and come up with that layout?  My wife is walking around 7 months pregnant and we're trying to figure out where you can go to watch more than one hole at a time.  When finally just followed Jason Gore and P. Harrington for a few holes and went back to our condo before my wife went into premature labor.  

I played the old TPC course last year when visiting Houston and liked the layout quite a bit; it offered some good character.  Redstone is just long and standard Rees stuff from there.  Course was in great shape though.

The Member Course at Redstone is so much better a golf course.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »
I thought it was interesting what Johnny Miller said about the architecture of this golf course---ie all the fairways and such are built up so the ball rolls off them into trouble. If that 18th fairway was flat on the left Scott's ball probably wouldn't have gone in the hazard----that was a pretty steep slope all along that water hazard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back