News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

D_Malley

great pic, thanks wayne

Tim Gavrich

I've heard that Sharon CC, circa 1895, retains its original routing.

How about Palmetto GC?  I know it started out as just four or so holes around 1892, but don't their placements still exist?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Paul Payne

Palmetto was redone in the 1930's by Mackenzie I believe, however it's little sister right next door The Aiken CC (or Highland course) has its original routing from 1912.

David Ober

Anybody know if The Victoria Club (1903) in Riverside, California has been re-routed much?

How about Redlands Country Club (1901?) in Redlands, California?

Tyler Kearns

Pine Valley, NGLA

TK

wsmorrison

Pine Valley seems to be a good one.  I think Macdonald made substantial changes to the course over time.  I'm not sure what it was he was doing or if it included routing changes.

Adam Clayman

Perhaps Dan Moore can confirm or deny, But I would speculate Jackson Park's (1897) routing is mostly intact. That's fairly early.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

mike_malone

Rolling Green is only 80 years old but retains the original routing.

So that I understand this completely--What constitutes enough of a change to say that the original routing is gone?
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

Michael,

For the purposes of this discussion thread, the terms are presented in my opening post.  Didn't your teachers explain to you that you should read the question before you answered?  Get in the corner with your dunce cap   ;D

Rolling Green certainly qualifies as intact.  That is pretty select company 81 years later.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:37:22 PM by Wayne Morrison »

mike_malone

Dah!
AKA Mayday

John Shimp

I think Palmetto's routing was unchanged by MacKenzie in the early 30's and has been around as an 18 holer since 1895 when Leeds added the second nine.

MacKenzie lengthened some holes, added/changed some bunkering, and worked on the greens primarily to chg them from sand to grass.

john_stiles

An old routing of Palmetto Golf Club dated April 12, 1931 shows all the green sites as presently located the best I can tell.  

This plan predates Mackenzie's first visit to ANGC property on July 14, 1931.  

The most significant tee change since 1931 routing was the 7th tee.   The original tee was to the right of #6 green, making for a short uphill par 3 of 110 yards.  

;)  The change in tee location at the 7th significantly cut down on the hole-in-ones.   Previously, as the story goes, the caddies went ahead, up to the 20 foot elevated green, and apparently a  hole in one was not especially unusual.  Probably made for a better tip  ;D

Andrew Mitchell

An extract from a booklet "The story of Musselburgh Links",  which I purchased from the course on Monday, states "The old links was originally seven holes with another added in 1838 and the full nine holes came into play in 1870."

The booklet does not indicate that there have been any further changes since 1870.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

wsmorrison

I just visited Phoenixville Country Club about 5 miles west of Valley Forge, PA.  There is an interesting 9-holes by Hugh Wilson that has not had routing changes since its opening in 1915.

Andrew,

Thanks for introducing Musselburgh into this discussion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back