News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

What's the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi?
« on: March 24, 2007, 03:23:24 AM »
Looking through the current issue of the Bay Area Golf Guide, Mare Island is touted as the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi (1892), while Del Monte (1897) is the oldest western course in continuous operation. Presumably Mare Island, being on a formal naval base, closed for the wars.

Are these two descriptions correct? I think I remember at least one other course claiming to be the oldest of some sort.

Tony Petersen

Re:What's the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
Overland Park in Denver touts itself to be a WF Tucker/W Bell 1895 ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 09:47:11 AM »
Gearhart Golf Links in Oregon claims the title with its 1892 date.  

Private Club would be Tacoma Golf & Country Club, 1894.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:48:25 AM »
I think Waveland in Des Moines, IA also tries to claim the title, but have no idea if they are correct.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:02:12 AM »
Victoria GC in Victoria BC has been in the same location for 114 years.  It's still a really fine course, a "Crail" or "Elie" experience although I just realize I have not played it for too long!  
Sorry if the reference was supposed to be about west of the Mississippi only in the US.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:29:27 AM »
Overland golf course in Denver pushes pretty hard for that title. It was originally the Denver Country Club from what people tell me.

I played Overland a few times for high school tournaments. Its a fun course. Adjacent to I-25, its not the greatest scenic experience. Pretty easy as well

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
I don't know about the oldest (surviving) but Alex Findlay had to have been the first to introduce golf west of the Mississippi. Apparently he layed out a course in Nebraska in 1885. That is really early in American golf.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »
Jeff-
I think Waveland calls themselves the oldest Muni west of the Mississippi.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »

Matt, Somehow I suspect Part of Del Monte's distinction is 18 holes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:31:27 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Doug Ralston

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »
Victoria GC in Victoria BC has been in the same location for 114 years.  It's still a really fine course, a "Crail" or "Elie" experience although I just realize I have not played it for too long!  
Sorry if the reference was supposed to be about west of the Mississippi only in the US.

Of course if you go far enough west, The Old Course was here sometime about 2000BC or so, wasn't it?  ;)

Brian Noser

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
Glen Echo in the St. Louis area touts it self as the oldest Private club west of the Mississippi. Designed by Foulis in 1896 private in 1901 from what I have read.....

www.gecc.org

« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:01:32 PM by Brian Noser »

Gerry B

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »
there has been debate if it is glen echo or del monte in the monterey peninsula. in fact last time i was at the tap room the waiter looked it up on the internet so we could debate it over meatloaf.

one question that comes up is:

oldest course or oldest 18 hole course

the oldest golf "club" in north america i am told but cannot confirm is royal montreal

Nick Church

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
Del Monte Golf Course in Monterey.

I double checked their website, and I didn't realize the caveat...

"Opened in 1897, Del Monte Golf Course is the oldest course in continuous operation west of the Mississippi."

I thought I had remembered hearing that piece of trivia when  I was an acolyte at St. John's Episcopal Church (adjacent to Del Monte's parking lot).

The key phrase being "continuous operation."

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »

Just spent some time going through the Victoria Golf Club 100th anniversary publication. As Gary Slatter said below, if "west of the Mississippi" is considered to be within the continental US, Canadian clubs would be excluded. In that case, so far as I am aware, the honour would belong to Gearhart Golf Club in Oregon. As the phrase, "west of the Mississippi" does not seem to consider national boundaries, I think the answer is truly Victoria Golf Club in Victoria BC.

I have pulled out a copy of their centennial publication "Victoria Golf Club 1893-1993" which I picked up in a used bookstore near Victoria a few years ago.

Chapter 1, headed "Beginnings" starts off:

""most people find it difficult to imagine the City of Victoria, or indeed any other intelligent community, existing without a really servicable golf course; yet so it was until the Victoria Golf Club came into existence on November 7, 1893. Furthermore, we have reliable evidence that it is the second-oldest golf club in its origianl location in North America (Shinnecock Hills, founded in New York State in 1892 is the oldest). To go even further back, one authority claims that a small group of Hudson's Bay officers were the first to play golf in the Pacific Northwest in the 1840s. An unnamed factor at Steilacoom, one of the HBC farms administered by Nisqually, on Puget Sound, inwhat is now Washington State, sent for his clubs from Scotland, and a small, seven hole course was laid out some two miles from the present village of Steilacoom.
Unfortunately, this brave venture came to an end when Washington became a US Territory and Steilacoom a military fort. . . . . "

The book goes on to point out a few other areas on Vancouver Island where golf was played at what is now Beacon Hill Park in Victoria in 1889 but no club was formed and the area eventulally became a public park, no golf.

Another reference I found in this area was referred to in the Victoria Golf Club history is to a publication "The Earliest History of Golf in Vancouver, BC" by Francis Chaledcott. It goes on to speak of the Vancouver Golf Club which was formed in 182 at Jericho, which is now a park / residential area on the harbour in Vancouver. Vancouver Golf Club is now located (and has been for a heck of a long time) in Coquitlam, which is a suburb to the east of Vancouver.

Enough. The Victoria Golf Club book is a great read. Chapter 2, entitled "Serious Progress" opens with a quote, " . . the first, the really basic rule of golf is never to let business, mere commercial or professional employment interest, interfere with the game . . " which is a quote taken from the Tacoma Legend.

Bob Jenkins

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »

I thought I had remembered hearing that piece of trivia when  I was an acolyte at St. John's Episcopal Church (adjacent to Del Monte's parking lot).

Nick,

Was that before or after the schism over the Book of Common Prayer?

Bob

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 11:44:19 PM »
Bob Jenkins, the Fort Steilacoom course has been long rumored in Tacoma.  Consisting of only a few holes it would have sat somewhere on the grounds of what is now the Western State Mental Hospital.  

Whether it be the rumination of some hallucinating schizophrenic or reality, it would certainly be a great historic find to excavate any remnant of the course.  Those planning to see Chambers Bay can almost throw a rock and hit the property. There is now a 9 holer near the site and 27 holes of disc golf.  Just take care the men in the white coats don't lock you up while you are exploring!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:45:37 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 10:02:07 AM »
I remember reading something interesting several years ago about a course at Ft. Sam Houston sometimes in the early to mid 1880's. I only found it mentioned once or twice so I don't give it much validity.

Mark Dorman

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
All the sites I have checked have Waveland in Des Moines opening in 1894.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

Mark,

The oldest "golf course", not wave pool.

Bob

Matt Vandelac

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 02:17:18 AM »
Town and Country, St. Paul, 1890

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back