News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

St George's Hill:10th
« on: September 16, 2002, 08:53:08 AM »
I think even the NAFFER will confirm that this is a truly great hole.  Definitely one of Colt's finest.  It's a long par 4 in an Alps style.  The drive should be kept out to the right so as to get a peak at the green.  If you're left then the approach is blind and the terrain in front of the green tends to kick the ball into the bunker.

Tee shot over the heather

Alps feature in the distance.

Closer.

Notice the mound in front of green.

Green complex from the side (18th tee)

Looking back

Again thanks to Jeroen for the pics.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

NAF

Re: St George's Hill:10th
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 09:08:53 AM »
Oh Paul! Are you having a go at me?  I love SGH, I just think the 4th is an average hole despite Doak giving it a !.

Now the 10th, probably one of my Top 3 holes on the heath. I love it, it is just an amazing semi-Alps hole.  Drive this ball anywhere left and you are looking at 5 here.  There is a huge fairway to hit but unless you land it in the right hand area (about 15%) of the total fairway you won't see the flag.  During the summer this was a 6 or 7 iron for me, but during the cold winter with soggy fairways this was a 4 iron.  Not
a fun club selection into this green.  Check out the tiering, there is a massive ridge separating pin postions which makes the tee shot placement even more key.  You really want a look at this pin because a 3 putt is so EASY on this green.  I also found that mound in front of the green to be a key deflector of run-up shots so I hope you have some backspin on your ball to land it on the green.  Luckily when I have played the greens were always receptive.  This hole has everything: A great tee shot that needs placement, a heroic approach and deft touch needed on the putting surface.  I
love it.  Probably my favorite hole at SGH.

BTW, I think SGH gets the nod over the rest of the heath because it has solid par 5s.  West Sussex suffers in that #1 is not a true par 5 (although they can easily extend it 100 yards) and Swinley is too short.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 09:49:38 AM »
NAF

'course I'm not!  Although you appear to be in the minority with the 4th :D

I knew you liked this hole and thanks for the green description, I couldn't really make out the contour.

From the photos, there doesn't look to be even a moderate, let alone weak, hole at SGH.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 01:24:48 PM »
All of the pictures I have seen of this course make it just scream greatness to me.  Does anyone have a routing of the course or any other pics to post?  Why isn't this course better known in the world?  Is it very exclusive or is it just due to the lack of attention that heath courses receive in comparison to the links courses in the UK?  

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 01:32:38 PM »
Chris

I can post some more pics.  It just takes a bit of time.  The routing is Pete Dye's favourite shape a figure 8.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back