News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

World Atlas of Golf - Which one is the one?
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Everyone talks about this book, and how great it is.

But which one is the one to get? It appears under various names - and dates. Which is the one?

Adam_F_Collins

Re:World Atlas of Golf - Which one is the one?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »
Whoops - World Atlas of Golf Courses.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:16:16 PM »
I would recommend the 5th edition with Mark Rowlinson.

This is an update on the Pat Ward-Thomas version (several editions) and includes new courses such as Pac Dunes.

FYI my edition's ISBN is 0600613755.

Mark

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 09:20:55 PM »
The one I have was published in 2001 by Thunder Bay Press. It's very good. It's introduction is by our own Mark Rowlinson (from England). A lot of good subject writers in that book.

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »
I like the older ones better, primarily due to the different courses. For example, they took out an older course like Rye or something like that for the 3rd or 4th edition and replaced it with The Belfry.

I haven't seen the newest one, however, so I don't know which newer courses they've added.

I do agree with Sean, the color maps are terrific.

I have 4 or 5 copies, all different editions (mostly kind of beat up - guess it's not the kind of book you can buy and not look at all the time! :)). I buy them frequently at our local Half Price Books when they pop in, usually for $5 or $6. In fact, they have an older right now, I was just there the other day, for $5.98. Let me know and I'll pick it up for you.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
I actually like them all.  The older ones have some courses that the newer editions don't and describe a course as it was years ago.  The newer editions have tried to keep up with course changes and have added some newere courses to the gazeteer in the back of the book.  It may be the very first golf book I ever bought.  I wore out my first one. It still is one of the most precious books I own.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:15:10 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:56:47 PM »
FYI, Mark Rowlinson's "Times Guide to Golf Courses" book has routing maps of 50 GB&I courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back