News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Re:Modern Golf Course Drainage Is Bad
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 11:46:32 PM »
Tommy,

A recent visit to Florida in December confirms your points.  Course after course has artificial-looking mounding around greens and near fairways, almost always with a basin in the bottom where a balls gather like those games with the marbles and holes.  Contrast that with one course I saw down there, a new course by Steve Smyers and design associate Patrick Andrews called Bridgwater, on an absolutely horrible site in Lake Wales (I think).  Moved a lot of dirt, but it doesn't really look it except for the fact that the course is surrounded by highway and warehouses, unfortunately visible from the course.  

I noticed a grand total of one visible catch basin on the entire course.  I played it with Steve, and later talked to Patrick, and it was clear that they tried to do as much as possible with surface drainage, and planned the earth moving with drainage in mine.  Went to ponds and creeks that were for the most part out of the way.  I thought the drainage plan was fantastic, especially compared with much of what I saw down there, which seems like it is done with no thought or care, and by taking the easy way out.  Bridgewater is a blast to play too, with wide corridors and push up greens which allowed a ton of contours.  Firm too.  In December, I putted from everywhere.

I also have to say that one of the worst basin offenders is Pete Dye at Whistling Straits - the basins are ubiquitous and horrible.
That was one hellacious beaver.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 01:35:58 AM »
And, they may even be more 'ubiquitous' (if that is possible to be more everywhere than everywhere) on the Irish Course!  ::) ;D

Maybe that is why Kohler can say that he gave old Pete an unlimitted budget and he exceeded it.  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 03:32:18 AM »
My mistake, I was thinking #6 at Longshadow! Gary, if you could post that image it would be appreciated also, but th eimage of #5 green proves more fact that Mike Young supports surface drainage! ;)

Adam Sherer,
Thanks for further supporting my theory of surface drainage. (because that's what your doing) This doesn't mean that certain architects didn't use piping, but catch basins, almost nil and that's the point. They used natural drainage areas for strategy as well--and that's the point about Oakmont. Getting water out through terra cotta piping was a norm on many a great golden age course, they just didn't over use it. If they did, show me a catch basin on a classic course. (Something being worthy of being called a catch basin) Riviera even had some under ground drain pipe. They didn't over use it. LACC #6 even has underground drainage installed by it's creator.

I also agree with you what most modern architects think is the 3 "D's"  to golf course design and maintenance--Drainage, Drainage, Drainage. That's my point, that the majority of the ones that have the Top 10 of the Golfweek Modern list will attest to the lack of use of them as being ta huge sign of their purity.

Greg Cameron,
Once again, in areas that receive that kind of rainfall, I can only support the use of drainage,--just as long as it doesn't affect the architecture in a ridiculous way. Only where it is needed.

Sully,
Your on!

Dick,
Talking with a notable but not named architect tonight, we discussed Pete Dye and we were both amazed how he gets a pass when it comes to utilizing catch basins and more then too much drainage. There is nothing more in the world I would enjoy doing then debating Pete Dye on the subject too! I think it would be an interesting conversation!

Steve Lang

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 08:38:56 AM »
 8)

Sorry I posted and ran yesterday, but 66°F, blue skies, a light breeze, sent us out for an emergency 9, dinner, and a movie..

Joe..  measured amounts of water over a certain area… hmmm.. you're thinking of facts and application of rational formula for folks' 101 Drainage Class?

1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallon volume
1 inch = 0.0833 feet
1 acre = 43560 sq.ft

1 acre-in of water = 3630 cu.ft. = 27152.4 gallons

200 acre site getting 1 inch of water = 5,430,480 gallons water  (that's 1yd deep x 67 yd wide x 403 yd long box or 5.6 acre pond, or another par 4 hole's footprint) to either pass out of the site's water balance or provide for accumulating.. such as to help prevent stormwater pollution by settling solids.. or meet modern day regulatory plan requirements.. or irrigation needs?  

now.. how long would it take to dig-dozer out a 26,889 cu.yd or 6 acre pond .. hmmm at 600 yd/d = ~ 45 days, if you've got somewhere to go with it.. gonna be expensive to just arrange to haul that let alone dispose and or incorporate somewhere.. a lot easier to build a dam to contain that flow like many old sites did or pipe it out of there if possible or better yet to gravity it out a swale to a creek!

(ahhhh yes, Environmental Engineering.. we're the "get real" environmentalists)

Forrest.. getting the water out in 24 hours .. I assume you modify that rule of thumb for site soil properties?

In Socal.. If the barranca is full, where else will the water go?  Tommy, has Angeles National flooded yet?

I have no problem with catch basins and underground piping being a metric of gca drainage sophistication, either art or practicality.. ( is this a HuckaBism?)  but if a 200 acre site gets that 1 inch of rain, 5.4 million gallons over an hour's period, you're dealing with water at a rate of 90,508 gallons per minute average, and in reality, much greater given rainfall intensity variability for a typical storm..  in SE TX design storms are more like 3.5 to 4.5 inches per hour!  Dividing that rate up into 18 sections to handle 5000 gpm rates makes things a little more workable, unless you have serious topography and grande drainage swales etc or real sandy soil to pass or accumulate water..

i've posted this pic before of the vadose zone.. one must know "where is your water going?" to really deal with drainage issues beyond presentation..

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:02:57 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »
Tommy,

On golf courses, good drainage is really a paired agronomic tool with irrigation - drainage removes excess water and irrigation adds it, all to keep soil within 30-90% of available water capacity (+/-100% is where the soild is soggy)

Your post reminds me of the joke -

"How are the LA Dodgers like Micheal Jackson?"

"They both wear one glove for no apparent reason!"

You seem to think that moder gca's place basins for no apparent reason, and some do to favor a design style you don't care for.  On the other hand, no drainage is bad drainage, really, and the question is as you say, what constitutes "only where necessary?"

I submit that the basic tenets of drainage design - protect critical areas from overland flow like an engineer protects a road - haven't changed. Its just that the definition of "critical area" has expanded through experience - mostly the combo of fw being cut to the same height as greens years ago.  

Whereas it used to be just the greens and tees, when courses started getting put in housing, and the fw were in valleys to promote views from that housing, courses started taking more water.  Thus, the fw itself started being benched in, with drain inlets in the roughs.

When carts made up 60% of play, and course circulation, we found that it was best to pick up off site drainage before it crossed cart paths or they got sloppy.  It also made us consider routing drainage away from the main cart path entry to the greens to keep those areas in good shape.  That includes stopping swales that cross traffic areas, and also considering how much water gets into heavy traffic areas in the first place.  Even the main entry points from the path to the fw need some consideration as to drainage.

I can picture they types of drains you are objecting to.  No question Pete Dye and others (include moi in this as well) experimented with what could be done in fw contouring when adding basins.  Most of this is in Florida or other flat site courses where it was necessary to increase pitch for proper turf drainage to 3% from flat.  

While I don't want to go through the math to prove to you that a combination of pipe and grading is cheaper than grading alone.  And, raising fw to provide drainage may require a lot of dirt and still create low areas requiring catch basins.  On flat sites, once you dig a low spot, you need to give water a place to go.  PVC pipe is very practical compared to the old days when cranes were necessary to move heavy concrete pipe in place.  Now, PVC is cheaper even after inflation that Concrete ever was, one worker can carry each 20' length of pipe to its location, smaller backhoes are available for trenching, etc.

Another factor in fw grading that the old guys didn't need to deal with is water quality - both drainage and irrigation.  With more effluent irrigation (and in Texas, salty well water) in use, its more important than ever to move excess water over the land because when is settles it hurts turf.  We are definitely not in the Golden age of water quality anymore.  Steeper slopes lead to more catch basins.

Enough for now.  We are not too far apart on what is necessary, I believe.  And, it is site specific, but I don't mind talking generalities or principles of drainage which must be in place and then modified to each site.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
Steve L. — Yes, of course soil properties must be taken into account. Dewatering a course (generally) is a matter of what is realistic based on cost investment vs. what is realistic based on being able to resume golfing.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 03:05:23 AM »
Jeff,
Getting back to this, (Sorry I've been away from the computer for a few days) you say I seem to think modern GCA's place basins for no apparent reason. I differ on this with you greatly, I have maintained all along that they base too much emphasis on using it where it isn't needed, more relying on it and taking no effort to keep the catch basin out of the architecture. I think it is both unsightly and hampers great golf simply because a lot of architects utilize it in the architecture. (the catch basin) It also gives an architect too much freedom to over-shape, and that's my entire point. I'm not saying golf courses don't need to be drained, I'm saying that too many golf courses architects use it just to be using it or are simply overusing it. Most of your posts are showing this.

Lets look at a course and discuss what you think about it as far as drainage. It's in a southern climate, very hilly property near a lake., It's almost a shoe-in/write-in for Golf Digest best New Private for reasons I don't even want to think about.

Now, I know that a property like this is going to require lots of use of drainage, both of the surface and catch basin variety. I'll give you my opinion after your comment

In contrast, the following images are from a housing development not more then two to three miles away from the site where the previous images were taken, granted it's a much more different site.

It does have houses on the course, just as you maintain are needed for housing and development. I'm not saying they didn't use drainage basins, but show me where they might be or where you think they are at in the architecture.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »
Tommy,

I can't tell from the photos in particular whether either of those hole/courses show drains well or not.  Regarding both of them, I have questions.

What I question is why you and Geoff go to such great lengths to blame the catch basin for designs you don't like?  In my view, the catch basin is as much result as cause of modern shaping.  And while they may be unsightly up close (although I maintain that we learn to ignore unpleasantness of view....next time you drive, take a good look at the number of signs, power wires, etc that you never really notice in every day life) they can make a course more (for some, not you!) attractive in the wow shaping, the shadows that sell real estate, the scale, etc.

Its an opportunity to do something different, not a reliance.  And, I still maintain that drainage is better today, because we protect more critical areas than "the old guys."  Also, we simply try to put the drainage we feel we need up front, rather than have it added over fifty years time at greater inconvenience.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »
Tommy

Catch basins or not those photos of Reynolds Plantation
private are about as unflattering as any I have EVER seen
here on GCA.  What a monstrosity and those bunkers up on
mounds as as far from gathering bunkers as any possibly ever
built.  They play small instead of bigger then their size.

If this course gets mention in GD Best New private someone
please mail me a scorecard so I can eat it!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »
I thought those bunkers looked familiar from somewhere. So I looked on thier website and it says Jim Engh is the designer of the newest course at Reynold Plantation.

It will be interesting to see how it is rated and what Mr. Childs may be eating in the not too distant future.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:45:19 PM by Kalen Braley »

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »
 8)

.. last Reynolds Plantation pics look like Cateechee Golf Club near Hartwell.. setting, mostly in valleys and hillsides..

.. Cuscowilla pics look like meadow land setting

you can get some big time rain events in GA
 and with red clay soil.. doesn't drain well at all, either location.. so where is irrigating water coming from and where is surface runoff water planned going to?

setting seems to be driving options more than drainage mechanics??

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:58:01 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 03:17:49 AM »
Tommy,

I can't tell from the photos in particular whether either of those hole/courses show drains well or not.  Regarding both of them, I have questions.

Jeff,
 Sorry, but you force me to utilize the dreaded color, bold text/Mucci-style posts!

Jeff, you mean to tell me you REALLY can't tell what you think the character of how both  of these courses might drain and you don't even want to take a stab at it?

Come on Jeff. Where is your sense of sport! But I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

What I question is why you and Geoff go to such great lengths to blame the catch basin for designs you don't like?

There you go again, blaming Geoff and I  for anything and everything! But I have to give you credit, you haven't questioned my method of moderation on this thread....yet!

If you look and read this thread, Geoff and I aren't the only ones that dislike catch basins or their abhorrid use.

I'll also have you know that I've been contacted by no less then five respected architects, course superintendents and course builders who feel the same after reading this thread. Each one of them has their own different way or different method of construction or trick, but the main goal for each of them is to make catch basins invisible, or at least try to avoid using them.

In my view, the catch basin is as much result as cause of modern shaping.  

Funny, I thought I have been saying this all along?!?!?! ;)

And while they may be unsightly up close (although I maintain that we learn to ignore unpleasantness of view....next time you drive, take a good look at the number of signs, power wires, etc that you never really notice in every day life) they can make a course more (for some, not you!) attractive in the wow shaping, the shadows that sell real estate, the scale, etc.

Its an opportunity to do something different, not a reliance.  And, I still maintain that drainage is better today, because we protect more critical areas than "the old guys."  Also, we simply try to put the drainage we feel we need up front, rather than have it added over fifty years time at greater inconvenience.
;)

Jeff, I will give you that most learn to ignore an unpleasant view. I get that every time I go out to my beloved Rustic Canyon and avoid looking at the driving rage artificial turf and netting that is supported by telephone poles. I still go out there and use the driving range though. However, I also don't think it ruins a great golf course like some do. I also think that critique is really nit-picked by the masses. It really isn't all that bothersome. Is it unsightly? Yes, absolutely, but it doesn't deter from the great golf to be had there.

As far as catch basins in the fairway, or even underground drainage being added, I can only think of one hole where it is at there. In the swale at #6. And it was added later because it was needed. Only after some of the original drain pipe alongside the hole, out of play was completely destroyed in the second flash flood.

Jeff, I do notice that other stuff most every time. I do it because of my trade, looking at some isolated or armada of power poles, knowing they needed power nearby for a pump station or some other piece of equipment. I also do that in restaurants, shopping malls and other buildings of that nature, looking at the way someone hung a heavy piece of equipment or lighting structure, etc. Call it a force of habit or a valuable tool of the trade, looking how somebody accomplished something, or maybe even something which to build on. I would have suspected you've done the same in your career. If not, I suggest you try. It doesn't always have to be critical like the way you think it is.

Lastly, and I'll say it again, that your protection of areas, the way you do it--as the main culprit to why the designs are flawed IMHO. I just think too many of you are relying on drainage ot the point it's like Top Gun, you became so reliant on ATA missles that you lost all the strategic element of dog fighting. In this case, strategy. All just so you could feel good about yourself and shout to the world that you made water flow downhill. I think it adds to the cost to the point that even developers, architects superintendents etc. will make ridiculous statements to justify it. That they accomplished controlling it.

You may think that's different and that you created it, but frankly speaking, go look at any Golfweek Modern Top Ten course and tell me which percentile of those openly using this ugly catch basin drainage are anywhere comparable to those in the top half which aren't.

Be careful, you might shock yourself. I think it's something you should look more into it, just so you can better yourself. Make yourself a better golf architect.

This doesn't mean that when drain swales and catch basins are needed to avoid using them. Utilize it so it doesn't affect the strategy. Hide them out of sight. This also means don't over use it, just to be using it because it and it's use has become an industry standard on golf courses where the rainfall doesn't demand it, I think Steve's points back this up.

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 06:45:26 AM »
8)

.. last Reynolds Plantation pics look like Cateechee Golf Club near Hartwell.. setting, mostly in valleys and hillsides..

and with red clay soil.. doesn't drain well at all, either location.. so where is irrigating water coming from and where is surface runoff water planned going to?

Steve,
How many holes at Cateechee do we have sitting in valleys.  These pictures look nothing like Cateechee.  IMHO.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Powell Arms

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:28 AM »
I would certainly prefer surface drainage to a system for aesthetic reasons.  Living in the northeast US and working as a real estate developer, I know that most state agencies have a keen focus on stormwater management and water quality, for all new earth movement projects.  The regulations cover macro issues such as rate of discharge from the property and removal of sediment, and micro issues such as the maximum area allowed to surface drain before being directed into the stormwater system.  Admittedly, my work generally deals with a site that approached 70% impervious.  

A question for the gca's or civil engineers out there, is stormwater management similarly regulated, event with the sites being largely pervious?
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Scott Witter

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 09:53:10 AM »
Powell:

I am going to take a guess here and say you are based in NY?

I am also and absolutely, N.Y.S. has placed handcuffs on all forms of site development over 1 acre in size.  Recently new and definitely enforced stormwater management regulations now require that any site area larger than 1 acre must have a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) in place and aproved before the first shovel of soil is moved.  This applies to site work for impervious or pervious.

Last year I completed two reconstructed practice facilites on existing courses.  Both land areas were previously developed and being maintained as grass and even tough my grading and drainage plans clearly showed that the stormwater was still going to the same location, an existing pond within the course property, the local reviewing agency still required that my client hire a civil engineer to formulate a SWPPP before they would render an approval for construction.

All I was doing was reshaping the area to improve drainage in some areas and create fill to build target greens and expand the tee.  I didn't add any more water or speed up the process for it to get from point A to point B, but the client ate $6,000 more...for what? ???

Tony Ristola

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »
Funny.
Haven't been on line in a while, and while off line, actually jus a couple days ago I was reading an old thread about drainage and catch basins...

...see you in another 18 months. ;D

I saw Cuscowilla after it opened, and during a series of major rain storms that had hammered the south.  Rusty Mercer was using the info to install drainage in some of the fairways. I believe C&C didn't put much in, leaving it for the superintedent to locate the areas requiring it. A cost effective solution.

I didn't kick around in the fairway bunkers, but wondered if they had drainage. Should have done some scraping.

The course is rolling for the most part, with one flat section, and a section runs in close proximity to the lake. There are ample opportunities to get rid of the water throughout the course.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:25:30 AM by Tony Ristola »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 10:27:54 AM »
Tony,
This is precisely why you are sorely missed on Golf Club Atlas!

When are you coming home?!?!?! ;)

And Jeff, Make it 7. I've had two more reputed architects email me this morning after seeing this thread, further backing me up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:31:51 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tony Ristola

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 10:32:39 AM »
Tommy,
Good question. Jari is over here for a few days...it seems I keep drifting further away than getting back to my beloved SoCal. I miss the smog. LOL...One day, one day.

Remember our last talk? I have to remind Jari...and you've got to hook up with him.

Steve Lang

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:54 PM »
8)

Steve,
How many holes at Cateechee do we have sitting in valleys.  These pictures look nothing like Cateechee.  IMHO.
Mike

Mike.. you don't immediately think of #1 and #2.. ??

and perhaps some holes on property boundaries(?).. do i remember where woods were being irrigated with trt'd wastewater.. I need to visualize on some others, but i remember not enjoying various walks there going up hills, plying slopes.. though much I remember as open "meadow" settings, going downslope and upslope.  Memory probably fails from one play..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:47:23 PM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
Tommy,

Not much you can say that pisses me off, but using Mucci green means (to quote bugs t. bunny) this means war! ;D

For the record, I too have recieved several emails, backing me up and adding that I am crazy for entering an argument with a madman who wouldn't know a "only where necessary" catch basin if it bit him in his considerable ass........and most wondered if you understood just how much you offended them by buddying up to them at GIS as if you were long lost pals after your personal attacks on them via this website.

What exactly did they "back you up on?"  That qualified gca's might differ on the proper way to drain a particluar situation?

BTW, you say catch basins affect your strategy?  Have you ever stood on a tee and said you wanted to "avoid the left side of the fw because of the basins?"  I can see a cb near a green affecting the EXECUTION of a chips shot.  It does happen.  On the other hand, it may be worth that happening occaisionally if the value judgement of the gca is that the hole would benefit from Ross style humps around the green on a clay soil site.

But, if you want to talk drainage, here is my take on the photos you posted, and more on my "beef" with your posts.

As mentioned, you have used drainage to make a (tired) point that you don't like modern shaping.

I say this, because frankly, while I applaud you giving specific examples, the Jim Engh photos you posted don't have many visible catch basins that would tie your shaping point to use of drainage.  That punch bowl green doesn't have any basins around it, even though it might be more practical if it did (see Ross comments about PB greens in Golf has Never Failed Me)  So, how does it relate to catch basins and shaping?

Second, you post an open meadow hole from your fave C and C that appears to not have housing in the background, and is of gentle slopes, etc. and a steep valley hole from less favored Jim Engh, which will likely have housing above it.  They obviously have vastly different drainage needs, because the Engh hole will have to deal with a lot of drainage fast.  in that case, its hard to make intelligent comparisons.  

That is evident from your last post, which rants on without discernable logic, flow, or thought.  But to answer your question, I MAY have put more drainage in both the holes you show, with less in the C and C hole and more in the Engh hole, had I been the one designing them.  In the valley hole in particular, I may have added basins between the side slope and fw to make sure excessive drainage did not reach the short grass.  I would have added a cart path curb to keep large rains from washing down the punch bowl on to the green.  I probably would have added at least one fw catch basin given the slope and length of flow in that fw to reduce concentrated flow.  I would have tried to keep it out of the main landing area.  Of course, all this is just theoretical, based on one photo, but is for illustrative purposes only.

Had I made that value judgement I presume that the hole would drain better and have firmer and faster conditions than a valley hole w/o such drainage (faster after a rain)  Of course, I also would have a few more unsighty catch basins.

Is that value judgement right or wrong?  I guess it depends.  One Owner might decide he liked having the course in top condition sooner or appreciate the probable quicker grow in.  Another would put up with the problems to avoid those basins, perhaps paying for it through more sod or whatever.

So where's the argument?  I can accept that you prefer simpler shaping, as I have said before.  But, there are professional considerations that make cbs necessary, which you have said.  Are there examples of over use?  Of course there are.  Have most of the courses you consider to be exemplars of minimalist drainage added drains of many types over the years?  I guarantee you they have.

I disagree strongly with Tony, BTW.  For my money, building it right the first time is far more cost effective than rebuilding and adding parts of it a year later.  (my mom and dad always told me, "If its worth doing, its worth doing right the first time) To me, a profesional golf course architect is someone who can anticipate and engineer a golf course that opens with minimal problems.  We don't catch them all, of course.  No one is perfect.  

On the other hand, if you can't figure out drainage, you are really just playing in the dirt, aren't you?  And your posts are the equivalent of playing in the dirt.  While the amateur gca is largely concerned with the fun stuff, and can wish away the reality of drainage in his fantasy designs, the professional is under no such illusions, even if some of us would tend to one type of drainage over another.

I offer all of the above as one gca's perspective, based on my sole experience.  However, in talking with other gca's I believe that most gain more respect for the power of uncontrolled drainage (esp. in valley holes) as time goes on, as their courses and owners experience problems and they seek to get better in their design work.

So, Tommy, I admit that you are probably one qualified to criticise gcas, because I am pretty sure you have never screwed up drainage on a golf course, having never attempted to create drainage on a golf course.  ;)  I had your minimal cb theory at one time, and really, still do.  I have two projects under construction with vastly different drainage budgets-one is gently rolling the other flat, so they have different needs.  Both have close to the minimum (whatever that is) basins, IMHO.

I am just trying to convey what my experience has been in a variety of climates and soils.  Nothing more, nothing less. If anyone disagrees, they are free to do so, or to not read my posts.  Hopefully, someone with an interest in gca has learned something though.  I certainly apologize to anyone offended by, or simply bored with my posts here.

B. Mogg

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »
Jeff,

Great post and saying like it really is. Those courses (in the photos) are of quite different sites with quite different drainage requirements - how do you compare on an apples to apples basis?. The punchbowl green on offer (as an example of excessive catchbasin use - no catchbasins though) - all I know is if we built a green like that over here  (sans catchbasins on the upslope side of the green) it would end up in the bunker or a river during the first heavy rainfall (and in the first 10 minutes).

The notion of "adding drainage where needed after the course opens" is a quaint notion and harks back to a slower gentler era when we were all gentleman and there were no liquidated damages and the like. I know whenever we have a wet area on one of our courses it is seen as a screw-up on our part and not as part of our noble and valiant efforts to reduce catchbasin useage.

I think the idea of using less catchbasins wherever practical is a good idea and one many of us strive for, however you really need to take into account the site characteristics, the soil, the rainfall and other constraints when decising on an appropriate drainage scheme for any situation.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 03:29:22 AM »
Jeff,
Sorry to see you have made this personal. It wasn't intended that way at all. It was more to provoke architecture discussion and maybe even learn a thing or two to make all courses better. I've never seen any of your original works in person so any identification as it being about you and your courses is purely on your part. I'm not qualified to assess your courses as I've never played one of them and I don't count San Dimas as one of your original works.

I also didn't think the defense mechanism was going to kick in this soon, so feel free to make it more personal and less, professional. After all, it's only a discussion group and just to let you know, I would have never put it past you.

To repeat to you AGAIN: My points are simple; the best courses being built today are utilizing less visible drainage, or installing it in areas where the architecture isn't hampered by it. To qualify those who fully use catch basins throughout, everywhere when it is not needed just to be installing it to the point that the architecture of the site itself is severely hampered by it; well, I just can't believe that the creators of this type of architecture could be so obtuse and place it in the same standard of courses that successfully don't. I also fail to see why they should be classified as equals in any sense. That's just my opinion. Identify with it/don't identify with it. It's your choice.  

While you seemingly are identifying a lot of your work in this, (at least that's the way I'm reading it) even though I would never even think of being critical of one of your courses on this website, you seem to be taking it all very personal Jeff.

Once again, I'll maintain all of this simply as my observation. While I can't tell you what it's like to have bad drainage that is the product of my own creation, I can attest to seeing bad drainage on lots of good courses and I can also attest to seeing bad drainage on lots of bad courses too. But the point your seemingly missing here is how to utilize it in terms of strategy and how to utilize it where it affects the architecture in a rightful, natural sense and where it doesn't affect it at all. It also depends on how much any given site will be willing to drive course costs through the roof. You want to go build a golf course on the severe-sloped-side of Clay Mountain, then go right ahead. Be my guest! Just don't try to maintain it as being something it never will be--GREAT!

Ultimately, I think it's what separates many of your colleagues from the very greatness they desire for in their own designs, or as the Great Tom Paul calls it, The Great Big World of Golf Architecture. The problem is that many of your colleagues are not willing to say, "no." or in some cases, "No thanks, keep us in mind on the next one.") After all, "our integrity sells for so little, it's all we really have. It's the very last inch of us but with-in that inch, it is small and it is fragile, but it's all worth having".... (I'm quoting  this from a line I heard in a movie. I think it's pretty good)

I'm not trying to insult anyone including you, at least not at the depths which you seemingly are willing to sink to and insult me. I think it also says a lot about the character of the people who have shared with you their dislike with me, when I never once felt the entire show any dissent, other then from one person who shall remain nameless in hopes of protecting their dignity. I respected what he had to say. But whomever it was that said that to you about me, well to me, them not being able to tell me that to my face when they seemed to be so nice, well that says a lot.

Moth,
if you go back and read this entire thread, I've maintained all along that the use of it where it is needed is vital. But to over-use it like I have seen, well it's complete over-kill and the courses are the bane of our existence.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:30 AM »
Tommy,

I did use the smiley face when speaking of your Mucci type!  I did rachet up the rhetoric, though, but its not really personal.  Just mirroring your style.......

At one point, I was considering writing that perhaps CC is a better gca than me by virtue of turning down technically difficult sites, and in a way, you concur.  But for most of us, taking on housing courses is a fact of life and there would be very few golf courses built if we held to just perfect golf sites.  I don't know off hand how many housing courses are in the top 100 but suspect it isn't too many.  But there are some pretty good ones that wouldn't be as satisfactory to play without drainage considerations I mention.

My posts are based on that kind of experience.  If you want to speak only of the top ten courses in the world, I would agree that the traditions of golf should govern, and any necessary drainage be put well out of the way.  When revenue rather than respect for tradition governs (as it usually does) the design criteria do vary.

I don't have time this morning, but when I get home tonight I may indulge in an excersise of writing a drainage primer for the new Brauer employee vs. the drainage primer you might write for one of your design associates, trying to accuratly reflect the differences we might have philosophically without the rhetoric.

TEPaul

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »
This is certainly an interesting thread (I just read only some of it for the first time this morning).

Perhaps I should say it's a whole lot more than just interesting since the basic subject of the thread is about as fundamentally important to the over-all look and play and short and long term sustainablility (preservation) of golf course architecture as any subject is or could be! Good golf architects for time immemorial have not mentioned drainage (drainage, drainage, drainage) just for the fun of it, I'm sure.

Having said all that, I'm sure it also follows that this subject is perhaps the most daunting of any and all subjects pertaining to golf course architect. It sure is for me and it probably is for the best and most experienced architects too.

I'm going to read this entire thread again, and probably a few more times and then ask some questions---if I even get to that point of understanding.

I'm not sure I understand the validity of all the points on here that TommyN is presentlng and questioning and I'm not sure I completely understand all the answers to them.

But TommyN does seem to be presenting one caveat in the context of this thread's subject, and that is that modern golf architects perhaps need to take more care in assuming impunity (from drainage problems) on the types of sites they pick to build courses, and if they don't do that it seems like they create architecture (for obvious reasons) that looks pretty odd on many of its natural landforms and sites.

It seems to me the old guys probably passed on many sites because they could intuit the potential drainage problems involved but they also understood they didn't have the earth-moving and water moving tools available today and therefore had to look more carefully at the land so as to be sure the land could do drainage-wise what land does.

(On the other hand, the supreme irony is that the old guy architect (Max Behr) who seemed to want to look most deeply into this subject in his presentation of what he referred to as "Permanent Architecture"----eg architecture that was designed to totally respect the forces of Nature (wind but primarily water) had some of his significant designs decimated by the forces of Nature (water)).

But there does seem to be an over-riding poetic justice in this over-all subject that goes beyond even the best drainage designs and engineering schemes and that is:

"It never pays in the end to F... with Mother Nature."

This is a wonderful thread and a fundamental subject to attempt to understand. Most on here probably won't get involved just because it is so hard to understand, and it isn't something that's too apparent anyway on a day to day basis.

But it sure is a subject that separates the amateur architectural dreamers and architecture idealists (like me) from the guys who can't avoid dealing with it in what they design and construct.

However, in a short while this is a subject that I know I'm going to be confronting much more directly and to be honest it's very daunting to me to try to understand it, but I'm looking forward to the learning process. I have a feeling in the back of my mind will constantly be 3-4 points which are---convex vs concave, accumulation, and speed of flow.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:17:09 AM by TEPaul »

jeffwarne

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
perhaps if Rustic Canyon had more "modern golf course drainage" ,

... several of the holes wouldn't be downriver right now ;)

And Mr. Naccarato,
I'm assuming that you don't take electrician's jobs in buildings that are anything less than classically, golden aged designed.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back