News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Re: Whistling Straits report
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2002, 06:44:39 PM »
Ben,

Did you notice the "packed sand" fairways on a few holes?  If so, what did you make of them?

Jeff Goldman
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Matt_Ward

Re: Whistling Straits report
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2002, 08:14:59 PM »
Mike C:

You have to help me understand the "awkward and trite" features that are present at Mystic Rock. ;) Look, I' not holding up the course for sainthood or claiming Pete really spent a mega amount of time in really analyzing what went on there but there are a number of holes there that aren't bad. Mystic Rock is not one of the best examples of Pete Dye work. I don't doubt that but I won't say the course borders on rubbish as I think you're claiming.

I've said the course can be quite harsh and the environment in which many of the holes flow is a bit out of place. But, you still have to produce solid golf shots on a number of holes.

I just hope people aren't trying to imagine Pennsy courses with just classic style architecture as the predominant way to go. I also like Olde Stonewall, but I also understand the limitations that Hyrdzan & Fry had with that particular piece of property. Ditto what Player faced with Diamond Run in the immediate Pittsburgh area.

Mike, tell me how you stack the course up against other public courses in the Keystone State? You're not going to say the course isn't in the top ten are you? Did GolfWeek err that badly in placing the course as the 4th best?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back