News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

GIS and golf course architecture
« on: September 18, 2002, 06:20:50 PM »
Does anyone know any useful resources regarding Geographic Informations Systems (GIS) and golf course architecture?  I'm interested to know if any companies out there are developing applications using GIS to evaluate the suitability of landforms for golf course development.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jeff_Brauer

Re: GIS and golf course architecture
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 07:54:08 PM »
Carly,

Over on Cybergolf, I did a series of articles on the development of The Quarry at Giant's Ridge in the architects corner section.  By the way, they should have the grow in photos posted now, so any who are interested can see how it came out!

One installment (God help me, I can't recall which, so you'll have to skim the whole thing) dealt with our contractor's use of GPS to stake out the golf course.  It was a big help, as they could use one man instead of two, and he could stake it out by walking around for an hour.  In many cases, he staked while we were at lunch and we came back to find we could modify the plan in the field to save earthmoving, key trees, etc.

The key was our computer drawn plans, the existing topo maps, proposed topo maps, and the actual ground topo could all be compared to see what the plans problems were instantly.

I also have consultants using GPS to map as constructed projects better than ever before.

As far as assessing ground forms for design before hand, I know there is new LIDAR technolgy, which is mapping with radar rather than stereo aerial photos.  Some low tech devices - like eyeballs - still work pretty well, too! ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 05:49:34 AM »
Carlyle,
Check a website www.guthcad.com
They allow the conversion of arcview files into cad or microstation.  Since most municipalities and states (that I am familiar with) use arcview for their GIS drawings it will allow you to pull down a pretty accurate topo in most cases.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 07:05:42 PM »
Of the 1000 or so courses built over the past 3 years I would estimate that 30% of them have a type of GIS in use. Today's irrigation systems require a modified Arcview format to incorporate all of the data to operate the system. The Toro Site Pro T-map software is utilizing many of the features gathered by GPS, manipulated by AutoCAD and driven by arcview .shp files. Rain Bird also has a sytem called Cirrus that uses some of the Arcview features for it's database management.

The Architect clients we work under to appreciate the spacial data we are able to collect and report on. Square footages of features such as greens, tees and fairways are very popular during the billing questions. It is much easier to make yardage adjustments while the contractor is on site than it is after the local golf association measures the course, especially if a developer is of a mindset that it must be at least 7,000 yards to be worthy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back