News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Confidential Guide Online?
« on: February 22, 2007, 07:12:10 PM »
Anyone know if there is anyway to read the Confidential Guide Online? A la Google Books?

I know many on here already own the book, but to those who can't afford it on amazon, is there anyway to read it?

Thanks!
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Confidential Guide Online?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
Pat, I just checked out the price on Amazon: from $823-$1300.  I'll give you a bargain: $815 plus S&H.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:24:14 PM »
Thanks Tommy, but I think my point is is there anywhere that I can read and research the contents without having to pay such a large price?
H.P.S.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 08:37:16 PM »
I know Tom at least used to have a basement full of the older, un-illustrated editions, and that's where I got mine.  Perhaps he'll chime in, otherwise I'd suggest sending him a message through here.  You can get all the info at a far more reasonable price.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »
I have the Sleeping Bear version, but what I haven't seen is the original "Director's Cut"...that would be quite interesting to peruse.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
If it is ever posted online, someone will be hearing from my lawyer.

And I keep threatening to print another 1000 copies of the book in hopes of driving the price down, but it hasn't worked at all, so one of these days I may just have to print those 1000 copies.  I figure it would be fair game to sell them for $100 each and use the money to pay for some upcoming family educational expenses.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »
Tom Doak,

Do it!

C. Squier

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »
Tom Doak,

Do it!

I'll make that 2 copies you don't have to worry about selling.

CPS

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:35:48 AM »
We could start a waiting list here on GCA! A little like getting tickets to the Masters. I'd surely contribute 100 to the Doak collage fund for a reprint edition. My kids won't let me borrow from their fund for a first edition!

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:58 AM »
A friend of mine just found a copy at a St. Paul bookstore for $5.

He knows what it's worth, and I'm confident he wouldn't be happy to see 1,000 more hit the market -- unless somebody meets his $800 eBay asking price, in which case I'm sure he'd then be delighted.

Capitalism, for all its faults, is still an amazingly powerful concept.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:57:52 AM »
I also wish I could read it one day, but I don’t know if I ever will since it’s so expensive.

I always look in the golf section at used bookstores hoping that I find it, but I know I am only kidding myself.

JMorgan

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 03:52:03 AM »
And I keep threatening to print another 1000 copies of the book in hopes of driving the price down, but it hasn't worked at all, so one of these days I may just have to print those 1000 copies.  I figure it would be fair game to sell them for $100 each and use the money to pay for some upcoming family educational expenses.

Sign me up, too.  The going market price is painful.  

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 05:58:39 AM »
Add my name to the list.  Make it a separate, numbered subscribers' reprint edition and it will have no effect on the market value of true first editions.

Jon Earl

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 06:19:42 AM »
And me too please. It is getting dispiriting looking around the 2nd hand book shops.
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 06:52:13 AM »
If this is becoming a waiting list, please include me.  cheers!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 07:27:43 AM »
If it is ever posted online, someone will be hearing from my lawyer.

That adds up to about 2 years tuition + living expenses at your alma mater, Tom.

Even though you will hear something from the weenies who won an eBay auction in the last year or so, your scheme seems infinitely preferable to saddling yourself or Doak Jnr with a whole bunch of debt... of course, as a prospective father, the most important thing I took out of your post was the need to create something that will generate about $250,000 in 18 years time.  Time for me to take the dunce cap off and put the thinking cap on. :-\
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:28:36 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 08:00:35 AM »
Put my name on the waiting list....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 08:18:47 AM »
I have a 1996 SBP version that has a printing error.  The text for Garden City in the Gourmet's Choice is the text for Durban CC.  When I checked out Durban CC, the text was correct.  The photos in the GCGC section are correct but the text is nowhere to be found in the book.  Does anyone else with that edition have the GC text missing with DCC substituted?

Is this like the upside down airmail stamp and I can expect it to fetch thousands of dollars ;) ?  Or should I simply write to Tom and ask him to send me a copy of the Garden City text?  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:21:02 AM by Wayne Morrison »

JMorgan

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 08:25:26 AM »
I think you probably answered your own question by now, Wayne.  ;D

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 08:27:07 AM »
I'd also sign up for what promises to be a long list!  Tom, you'd be doing your young 'uns AND the golfing world a great favor.

Jamey

Matt MacIver

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 08:41:19 AM »
Sign me up too...but given what appears to me to be a recent renewed interest in GCA / coffee-table books (see: Finnegan), I think a reprint of the full color version of the CG would be readily accepted in the market.  

And not to push to hard...but an updating would be welcomed too! ;D

Andy Doyle

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 09:12:04 AM »
Tom was kind enough to sell me one of his "basement" copies a year or so ago.  I don't know if he has any left, but the time he said he had about 100 copies of the unillustrated version.  I mailed him a check and he sent he a signed, numbered copy.

Tom:

You may have done this before, but can you outline the definitive list of the versions of the CG that exist?  The CG has gotten so much attention (as evidenced by the ebay prices) that it would be interesting to hear about the progression of this publication.

If I recall, it started with a limited number of photocopies you gave to family and friends.  There are apparently a couple of other versions - with illustrations, with printing errors, etc.  

Thanks,

Andy

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 09:40:38 AM »
Well I certainly didn't mean for this to become a waiting list!

I know it's been semi-discussed here, but it's amazing that a book with such a large demand can be so under supplied. Why no publisher jumps all over the rights is beside me.

Extra printed copies...perhaps a "GCA.com" edition, Mr. Doak?  ;)
H.P.S.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 09:58:27 AM »
Add me too.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Nick Church

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »
At $100, I will buy one.  

Heck, I'll even pay $110 so that Amazon can distribute them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back