News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Mike Young and Dr. J
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
This is from today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution, concerning the purchase of the Heritage Golf Club here in Atlanta, by Julius Erving.   Heritage is a Mike Young design that IMO has never been aggressively marketed (or marketed at all, for that matter!) in the metro area, and is far less known that some far inferior courses.

Dr. J buys Heritage Golf Club

By STAN AWTREY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/21/07

One of basketball's all-time greats has gotten involved in the Atlanta golf scene.

NBA Hall of Famer Julius Erving has purchased part of the Heritage Golf Club, a 27-hole facility in Norcross. Dr. J and business partner Chuck Watkins bought the club for an undisclosed price from previous owner Maury White in December and have started making changes to raise the club's profile.

"It's a fabulous location," said Watkins, an Atlanta native and long-time friend of Erving. "We want people to be glad when they come to play here and feel good about their experience when they leave."

Heritage is located just off I-85 North at the Pleasantdale Road exit.

The course, designed by Athens-based architect Mike Young, opened in 1996. It was named one of the best new courses in America that year by Golf Digest.

"It's a very underrated golf course," Watkins said. "Over the years it's never reached its full potential. So many people don't know where the golf course is. It's amazing."

The original 18 holes are constructed around a 20-acre lake. The course features 96 bunkers but is best known for its bentgrass greens, which are tiered and always challenging to putt.

The course plays 6,903 yards from the back tees, where the slope rating is 145. There is a lighted 23-acre practice facility, which Watkins promised would be re-illuminated this spring.

Watkins said the semiprivate club is restoring the bunkers to USGA specifications. They're planning a twilight program and a women's program to be unveiled this spring.

Erving, 57, won't spend that much time in Norcross, probably one day a month, Watkins said.

Erving was almost a member of the Atlanta Hawks, joining the club for three exhibition games in 1972. But a court injunction forced his return to the ABA's Virginia Squires.

Erving has been a successful businessman since his retirement from basketball in 1986. He obtained a Coca-Cola bottling franchise in Philadelphia and has served on the board of directors with Converse, Saks and The Sports Authority.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Copeland

I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

A.G._Crockett

Re:Mike Young and Dr. J
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:08:01 PM »
Oops!
My computer at work was down all day, so I haven't seen any GCA.  Leave it to another local guy from CNN to beat me to this thread. ;)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back