News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

Re: To move or not to move - Bunkers ?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2002, 08:56:12 PM »
Pat
What does GCGC have to do with my question regarding MacK, Thompson and Thomas? I don't think you answered my question.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2002, 09:35:55 PM »
Tom MacWood,

Let me answer your questions in reverse order.

When the lay of the land is almost as flat as a table top, very little.

As to the number of architects capable of moving and replicating the bunkers of those individuals, I don't know the answer, do you ?

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2002, 09:41:42 PM »
The same number as would or should move bunkers at GCGC.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2002, 09:46:12 PM »
Tom MacWood,

Rather than make a judgement without seeing the golf course, wouldn't it make sense to come on site, assemble the facts, form and present your position, rather than shoot from the hip without the facts ?

Do you know that some bunkers have been moved/changed as recently as this year, and I objected to same ????

OOOOOHHHHHHH  How did that happen ?????

Maybe I'm not so crazy, maybe Geoff and Tom are wrong ????

As I said Tom, getting all the facts is important.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2002, 10:28:10 PM »
Patrick,

Your "theoretical" exercise is just the kind of thing that, if you had even a remote understanding of the history or fundamentals of design (do you think reading will hurt you in some way), you might just realize how such theoretic exercises lead to the kinds of changes that you would now like to see reversed at Garden City, and which I fear for places like National or Riviera when people start trying to address the ball or their own design fantasies or what the course down the street is doing.

But most of all, you have shown us what I feared to be the case with this exercise and your "restoration" theories. Your view of moving the tenth hole bunkers would be a restoration to you, even though they would be moved to a location they never existed in before?  So you feel they would be restored to what you deem to be a proper place based on your view of today's game? Or is it based on your game? Either way, sounds to me like it's all about you, not about what's found in the ground

Good restoration is about finding what's in the ground, dusting it off and bringing it back, not about golfers great self-importance and satisfying their theories about what if we did this, and what if we moved this here.  The less successful projects are those where someone puts themselves ahead of what existed before as seen in photos, etc...

Trent did it with the 12th at Garden City and you hate it, but you still don't see the differentiation between sound restoration and narcissistic renovation. I am saying and you are too busy throwing out questions to notice, that you are going to have a tough (impossible?) time making the case for pure restoration because of this inconsistency, which is a shame considering the well-intentioned effort you are making to see the old 12th brought back.
Geoff

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2002, 12:38:37 PM »
Geoff,

I would imagine that you are not aware of the fact that the 10th tee has been moved to a new location that effectively takes those fairway bunkers out of play.

Am I correct ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back