News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re:Manufacturer's project
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 02:04:43 PM »
 Members who want to keep evergreen trees on these hilly northeastern parkland courses ought to be tied to the trees for the winter. Go untie them in the spring and see if they have changed their minds.
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »
Mike,

Stop worrying about other club's issues.  You've got your own to deal with.  Get busy and fight the good fight or else that classic is in some trouble.  Focus.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »
Almost 80% of Golfers like tree-lined holes better, that is the result of a quick poll I conducted in a German forum. I posted the before/after pics from Manufacturers' #13 hole that are in the beginning of this thread. Then I asked which hole do you like better. Here's the result:

Link

The questions translated:

- I would prefer to play the course with hole #1.
- I would prefer to play hole #2.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:35:51 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »
Ulrich

I think the results of your poll may have been different if the trees in the  first picture were not barren of leaves.

For some reason,  many golfers like trees and green leaves.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 05:46:27 PM »
Ulrich:

You better not get any of us over there in Germany or we'll propose cutting down the whole damn Black Forest!     ;)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »
I tried to explain the reasoning behind tree removal and that brought the poll results down from 82% to 79% pro-tree :)

Seriously, with these numbers how can I even think of suggesting tree removal at my club... recently an email came round asking members to donate money for planting trees.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 10:44:16 PM »
Ulrich,

Please send each of your members the link to www.golfclubatlas.com

If that doesn't work, perhaps you should import Brad Klein and his slideshow.  If his acerbic humor doesn't translate well, you should at least ask them the last time they enjoyed looking for a ball in the woods, or attempting to play a shot through a forest.  If they still are resistant, perhaps ask them how much they enjoy watching the group in front of them search for their ball in the woods and then watch impatiently as a member of that group walks 50 yards backwards as his approach is repelled backwards.

As a last resort, you should tell those obstinate countrymen of yours that the French, Dutch, and English just absolutely LOVE trees.  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »
"Seriously, with these numbers how can I even think of suggesting tree removal at my club... "

Ulrich:

The most effective way I've seen, and by far, for successfully suggesting tree removal at a golf club that's not that interested in hearing about it is to do what I do----take your .45 calibre revolver out of its holster that's hidden underneath your jacket and just lay it on the table for all to see. Then you say;

"We are resolved to remove massive amounts of trees on the golf course. Do I hear any objections?"

David Stamm

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 06:17:52 PM »
"Seriously, with these numbers how can I even think of suggesting tree removal at my club... "

Ulrich:

The most effective way I've seen, and by far, for successfully suggesting tree removal at a golf club that's not that interested in hearing about it is to do what I do----take your .45 calibre revolver out of its holster that's hidden underneath your jacket and just lay it on the table for all to see. Then you say;

"We are resolved to remove massive amounts of trees on the golf course. Do I hear any objections?"

Ah, the Dirty Harry approach. And I thought you were a pacifist, Tom!  ;) ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back