News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Willie_Dow

Shortest par three ?
« on: February 10, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »
It is up for grabs !  But where is the shortest, and describe the green contour.

Willie

wsmorrison

Re:Shortest par three ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:07:05 AM »
Top o' the morning, Bill.

Pocono Manor East current 7th is a decidedly downhill 77 yards with all players playing from a single tee.  

Flynn's design was 115 yards when it played as his 3rd hole.

I don't know the green contours, but all the greens have shrunk to a small fraction of the original size.  I understand Mark Fine may be doing something there in the future.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:08:03 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 08:33:20 AM »
I assume we're talking regulation full length 18 hole courses on this one. I've played some pitch and putts with some little shorties.

And my local mini putt-putt has got some short little dosies that you are just praying to get down in the 3 putts on  ;D

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:43:29 AM »
Kalen,

Pocono Manor East plays from the forward tees to 5977 yards and from the tips 6565 yards.  This 77-yard hole on a regulation course has to be one of the shortest holes in all of golf and it is steeply downhill.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:06:14 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 08:58:50 AM »
Very nice Wayne,

I can think of one that comes close to that.  Its at Highlands golf course in northern idaho.  On the front 9 there is a par 3 that plays 85 yards over a steep ravine to a tiny 2 tiered green.  With trouble lurking behind, its actually an intimidating shot, even at that distance. Get on the upper tier, with the pin down below and your just hoping to keep it on the green.

From the tips this plays at 6300+
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 08:59:42 AM by Kalen Braley »

D_Malley

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 09:25:43 AM »
#7 green at PM east has a sharp back to front tilt on it and also has a creek fronting the very small green.  there is a road directly behind the tee, with a tunnel crossing under it to get from 6th green to 7th tee. the road must not of been there when it was played at 125 yrds., unless they played over it. the hole also is extremely downhill, and probably plays closer to 55-60 yards.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
Wayne, what's the 77 yard hole like?  Easy...hard...any hazards...O.B...wind...tough green...what club(s) do you hit there?  

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
Jim, it is especially hard for the first or second timer because it is almost impossible to believe how short the shot plays with 77 yards combined with its dramatic drop downhill. It truly plays, if memory serves (it has been ~ 20 years), more like a 30 yard pitch.  As Racetrack George mentioned, there is a creek in front, and there are woods long.

I don't remember now, but Art Wall had a number of holes-in-one on this little gem (his son Greg was (is?) the pro there).

Willie, I don't recall this green having much in the way of contouring, though it did slope towards the creek.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

D_Malley

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »
andy
Art Wall had 43 career hole in ones, but i do not think any were at Pocono Manor.  He rarely played there, although he did represent PM while playing the tour.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »
I stand corrected. Thanks Racetrack---I had that tucked away for years--not sure why.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
What a difficult shot these short holes can play.  We have an 89 yarder here at The Moorings Club where with the pin up front any putt behind the pin that misses the cup goes off the green .

Wayne, when did they change Flynn's original hole ?  It must have been a devil of a shot with hickories !

D_Malley

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »
andy what did you think of the 3rd hole at PM east?

Scott Stearns

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
I played a Langford and Moreau in my youth, CC of Lansing, MI, that had a 90 yard par 3.  Wonder if its still there...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 02:32:50 PM »
The third hole at Glenbrook GC (on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe) isn't the shortest but it's certainly one of the coolest.  Only 85 yards, it plays across a very large bunker, most of the area between the tee and green in fact, and immediately behind the large, flattish green is Lake Tahoe!

Great variety of holes on that little nine holer, the next hole is a 225 yard par 3!

Anthony Pioppi, is Glenbrook on your list?

JeffTodd

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
andy what did you think of the 3rd hole at PM east?
It makes the 7th look conventional.  ;)

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
There was a tiny par 3 on a course near Long Beach. It was a full length 18 on a very small footprint.  I think it was about 90 yards to a green that jutted into a small pond. The course was Cypress ______.  It was a Dye project that closed for houses as I recall...
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
Kalen,

Why did you assume it has to be a regulation 18? What's wrong with a 9-hole course of regulation length?

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »
Anthony, how about Glenbrook GC that I mentioned above?  Is that on your list of 9-holers?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »
Can't quite beat Wayne, but the 3rd at River Run GC in Crossville, TN is 88 yards from the tips. Its also steeply downhill and is an island green (or peninsula if you wanted to be very picky there is some ground to the right but it does not help with avoiding the pond. The green is small and shallow.

The hole before is 567 yards, they used to have the shortest and longest holes in the county back-to-back. 6430 total.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 07:29:56 AM »
The Quarry at Ilfracombe is 75 yards.  There's a picture of it at http://www.ilfracombegolfclub.com/

scott_wood

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 08:05:36 AM »
could someone knowledgable pls fill in the details ...Inniscrone, front nine, after a very good dogleg par 4???...maybe #5?.....

basically it appeared Gil "ran out of room" and squeezed a very very fun, testing downhiller ...it felt like 80 yards, but was probably longer...green sloped away, I believe, and tilted rt to left??? trouble of some sort lurked behind???... someone pls help fill in the details...

Willie_Dow

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 02:58:47 PM »
Mark, I couldn't find the picture of the 75 yarder at Ilfracome, but was it a downhill or an uphill/flat hole ?  Is the hole measured by the flight of the ball, or the distance to the vertical position of the green ? (If you know what I'm trying to say here.)

Scott, we'll have to get Kittleman on here to give you the history of the Inniscrone short hole.

peter_p

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »
Willie,
Select 'card' on the left menu, then click on the hole name.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 03:06:21 PM »
Willie,

go to the website referenced, click one scorecard, then click on the name (quarry) left of the entry for the hole.

Looks like it is fairly level.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Willie_Dow

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:57 PM »
Thanks Peter and Garland !  I wonder what the comment next to the picture "but don't look down" means ?  Normally, I'm told not to look up on my golf shot .

But I still wonder on an elevated tee, with a very short carry, like that at Pocono Manor East, maybe the shot is actually shorter than at Ilfracome.  How would you answer that ?

Mark, I'm not trying to start a Walker Cup controversy here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back