News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Chambers Bay or all Quiet on the Western Front
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
I had the opportunity to walk several holes of Chambers Bay in a hard drizzle last Thursday.  Due to the drizzle no photos were taken.  I could barely see through my glasses!  

My impressions gained while watching the construction of the golf course were that it was a going to be relativley flat.  I was mistaken.  The water side holes in particular are surprising in their verticality. The surrounding 'dunes' and features are massive.  The property slopes fairly dramatically from the city toward the water and the routing meanders up and down that slope.  

While, I assume, the builders had hoped to make the course as natural as possible, it would seem that the gravel pit could not be expunged entirely.  The final effect reminds me in part of Cruden Bay tempered by a post industrial feel.  Certain features were left from the gravel process and simply don't look natural.  That is not a criticism.  Chambers Bay has a unique look to it that my experience simply lacks anything to compare it to directly.  

I joked with my guide that if the golf thing does'nt work they can film a WW I movie there.  

Without any thing as a frame of reference, there is only 1 tree and there were no flagsticks, I look forward to hitting some shots to see how the course plays.  

What is clear is that if you spend $20million and move 1.5 million yards of earth, you can create a dramatic looking golf course.

Garland Bayley

Re:Chambers Bay or all Quiet on the Western Front
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »
My impressions gained while watching the construction of the golf course were that it was a going to be relativley flat.  I was mistaken.  The water side holes in particular are surprising in their verticality. ...

That is surprising. From the outside, you cannot see the waterside holes, but one would imagine them to be fairly flat running parallel to the sound as they do.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
What is the tentative/target opening date for Chambers Bay?

Chambers Bay website says open summer of 2007, doesn't really narrow it down.

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/layout10.asp?id=173&page=3342

Here's an interesting article...

http://www.cybergolf.com/indexgenerator.asp?newsid=4581
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:06:28 PM by Craig Edgmand »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »

That is surprising. From the outside, you cannot see the waterside holes, but one would imagine them to be fairly flat running parallel to the sound as they do.

The surrounding mounding is the vertical part.  #16 & #17 are flat but surrounded by mounding, #11 rises from tee to green

They are shooting for a June opening.  Growth has been slowed by the unusually difficult winter thus far.  If it warms up Chambers might get an earlier opening.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »

A second question for you Northwesteners.. what's the word on White Horse by Cynthia Dye?

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »
Craig,

Not a ton of buzz at this point (Tumble Creek didn't have much either), but I have heard great things about the site, despite that is supposed to be part of a housing development.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:39:23 AM »
The pdf on the design layout is very detailed.

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/layout10.asp?id=173&page=3342

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:48:48 AM »
Food for thought here...

Do you think RTJ2 is starting to really think of the architectural legacy he is leaving? The inclusion of green drawings, etc. seems above and beyond. Has he used this launch format before, or does he view this as something extremely special.

Does someone know who is the lead associate at Chambers Bay? Is RTJ more hands-on than usual?

A lot of questions...

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 10:42:26 AM »
Jeff, I will find out who the lead associate is.

Nyk Pike

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
Jeff - If memory serves correct, I think Jay Blasi is/was the onsite associate. Chambers Bay is dramatic and the scale of the place is lost until you have a chance to walk around the place. #14 is a neat hole with one of the most massive waste areas I've ever seen. I look forward toward the projects completion.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:46:33 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the link.

Nyk,

I didn't know ligers could type.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:57:06 AM »
Mr. (John) Steidel has recently designed Wildhorse in Pendleton OR,The Highlander in Wenatchee WA and is RT Jones lead designer on the Chambers Creek project in Tacoma.  Steidel has a solid portfolio of NW designs.

From an old post by Cos.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »
I must say from just looking at the photos provided on the websites, that Chambers Bay has a certain familiar ring to it, and then I thought of Arcadia Bluffs.  So, I went back over my pictures and the AB web site, and I think they really do have a certain similarity.  I'd say the edges are more rugged at Chambers Bay, and while the bunkering at AC has many stacked sod walled bunkers, the angles, the setting and the "feel" seems possibly similar.  

It is interesting that the nice detailed greensite drawings are included.  It is a nice touch and I would like to know more about the developer.  

I think the question of RTJ Jr thinking more about his legacy or responding to the current competitive efforts of the top tier archies is evident and reflects in this presentation.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »
W.H. Cos., did you get a look at the lodging and practice facilities.  They look spectacular.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 04:50:23 PM »
Here is a picture of the lodging and practice area. Note the green you see is #9 and #1/#18
:D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 05:06:06 PM »
Well, I wouldn't mind pitching a tent for now in order to be able to check it out !!!  ;) ;D 8)

I just notified someone who writes a column about interesting Madisonian's that might be able to sketch out some information on RTJ Jr., associate archie, Jay Blasi.  I note in the cybergolf story that he is from my hometown, and I vaguely recall seeing something about him here on GCA.com.   Anyone else know him, or is he a lurker/seldom poster here?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:11 PM »
The 14th is describe thusly
CAPE FEAR: The name Cape Fear plays upon the daunting tee shot the players face, as well as the “Cape” layout of the hole. A “Cape” hole is one that plays in a crescent-like shape around a hazard. The fifth at Mid Ocean club in Bermuda and the 18th a Pebble Beach would be examples of “Cape” holes.

Seems to me either they don't understand cape hole or I don't.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 09:23:15 PM »
Garland,

Thanks for the Steidel ref quote.

Be careful with the cape reference - we may invite huge challenges into this thread!  ;D

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 11:35:31 PM »
Garland, as I now understand it, Steidel was brought in to do some of the original land planning and preliminary routing.  I have no idea of what the politics were after that.  Blasi is/was the lead design associate.  

Practice areas and lodging?  the practice are had some erosion problems earlier this winter and work has begun to move forward on those areas.  Lodging......at this point the new Laquinta a the freeway might work 8)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 12:24:04 AM »
I got my lurker answer.  ;) ;D 8)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »
Until we get some "direct" input from the design team, in case you missed it, here are some interesting comments from the RTJ Jr firm about the course and its intended design and marketing goals.  It really looks like a best new public contender...

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/layout10.asp?id=173&page=3357

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 01:05:43 AM »
Jay is a great guy whom I think lurks on here if my memory serves me right.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 03:22:19 AM »
I thought Jay became a poster here a few months back.  If so, please weigh in with anything you can tell us about the course!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back