News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_McMillan

Chris Clousser at Veenker
« on: September 24, 2002, 08:11:31 AM »
Earlier in the spring, Chris had on his itinnerary a trek to Ames Iowa to play Perry Maxwell's design at Iowa State University - Veenker Memorial.  I wonder if Chris has any updates to share from his trip.  In particular, Chris had included the 16th hole (which he had yet to play), on his list of best Maxwell holes.  I speculated the ranking of that hole might change once Chris had played it.  So how is Veenker playing this year?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Brad Swanson

Re: Chris Clousser at Veenker
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 08:39:47 AM »
Speaking as a former member of the Iowa State University golf team, I can say that there's quite a bit of Veenker that isn't Maxwell anymore, and I'd say that its about half of the course.  Its clear what is Maxwell, as the Maxwell rolls are evident on quite a few of the original greens.  You can see more of the course here.

http://www.veenkergolf.com/veenker/map/map.asp

Since I've last played, there the routing has changed dramatically.  The best par 5 is no longer there as well.  From my guestimation, the remaining original Maxwell holes are 2,3,4,5,11,12,13,14,15,16.  The greens on these hole have some fierce undulations for their size.  

Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 08:41:35 AM »
Oops, double post.  Sorry 'bout that.  I guess I should make some use of my goof by saying that #11 is one of my all-time favorite par 3s.  Short, extremely uphill, and trouble nearly everywhere, usually with a good breeze to contend with.

2, 15, and 5 are strong holes as well.  

Brad S.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 09:21:21 AM »
John,

Sadly, this trip never was able to take place.  I was originally planning to do this over Labor Day weekend and tie it in with a trip to Rochelle, Illinois but due to work and family issues it was not able to happen.  After my trip to Oklahoma the 16th hole at Veenker quickly fell from my list.  I was forwarded some excellent information by someone at the university regarding the architectural history of the course with some current photos and a copy of the original routing.  With my work requirements the rest of the year is a no-go for anymore field research outside of the the immediate area for me (perhaps a trip to OSU and U of M).  But I am already planning a couple of trips in the spring of next year.  One to Veenker and Rochelle and another that I'm not sure when will take place yet.  

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 10:37:23 AM »
Chris,

I was fortunate enough to play Veenker earlier in the year (May) and it was a real treat and a very tough course.  Some blah holes, but some very strong ones as well.

Let me know the next time you are through...maybe we can get together somewhere here in Eastern Iowa.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

WPM

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 05:27:23 PM »
Veenker Memorial, Iowa States home course?  I just played Harvester(Keith Foster) and they claim to be Iowa States home course. BTW, the Harvester was very good.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 05:46:27 PM »
It was my understanding that the deal to make the Harvester ISU's home course fell through.  I could be mistaken, however.  It was the team's home course when I played there, I can tell you that for sure.

Brad Swanson

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 07:07:38 PM »
As of the middle of May when we played there, The Harvester was being touted as ISU's new home course...do not know if it has changed since them.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 08:42:50 PM »
I had heard control of the course was taken from the Athletic Department so they changed courses -- it didn't hurt an ISU Prof was involved with Harvester. Probably a better tournament course for those guys from I've heard. I love Venkeer but it's a pretty quirky track.

Heard great things abut Harvester and enjoy the other Foster courses I've played. Had hoped to see the Clones beat the Huskers this Saturday and then play Harvester Sunday but couldn't make the travel work.

Another 'hidden gem' you might try if you're in the area is the Waveland Muni in Des Moines. Touted as the oldest Muni West of the Mississippi. Terrain is as named and there are some terrific holes, obviously not much dirt was moved. Irrigated in the late 80's but still pretty F&F. About 40 miles from Venkeer and close to the DM airport.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back