News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Dallas classic ? Lakewood or Oak Cliff
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:13:17 PM »
Lakewood (Bendelow)  and  Oak cliff (Plummer) seldom get mentioned. While they may both lack brutal length, is either
sporty with good terrain,or memorable greens. thanks...

Bill_McBride

Re: Dallas classic ? Lakewood or Oak Cliff
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
I played a few rounds at Tenison Park which I think had one Bendelow 18 and another by that guy who designed so many courses in Texas.   Pretty good stuff.

Jason Shanks

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »
Mark,

In my opinion, Lakewood is both the better and more interesting of the two courses.  Some elevation changes and relatively interesting, well maintained greens (yes, I realize this is a very broad statement).  Admittedly, however, it has been quite a while since I was down at Oak Cliff Country Club.

Also, keep in mind that Cedar Crest is a Tillinghast design (I think).

Edit**

Bill, Tenison has two courses, formerly the East and the West, now The Glen and The Highlands.  The Highlands, originally laid out by Jack Burke, Sr. and Syd Cooper, was renovated by D.A. Weibring's group in 2000 or 2001.  The Glen was designed by Plummer.

-Jason
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:23:30 PM by Jason Shanks »

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »
Mark,I always resist being a homer,but since you asked...I have been a member at Lakewood for 15 years,and if I had the skills would do a home course article.I learn or see something new every time and it never gets old.I think Coore and Crenshaw did more than a restoration a few years ago.They rebuilt the greens,added approximately 10 fairway bunkers,and added a little length(a little over 6700)It is a never level lie type course,and plays firm and fast except in the summer when the greens get a little mushy.I would say best in Oct,Nov,March,April and May.Only complaint is a lot of OB,as it is on a very small property near downtown.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
Have not played Oak Cliff in a long time.I recall it as a good property and fun.At one time it had good bermuda greens so it was a good summer course.I believe Rives McBee won the Dallas Open(which became the Nelson) there in the 60's,thus becoming the only host pro to win a PGA event.Nelson won the first Dallas Open at Lakewood in 1944,and then I think Hogan won the next year at Brook Hollow.For the last few years the junior Nelson has been at Lakewood and Mr Nelson would come spend the day with the players.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back