News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Dunne

Anyone have the Machrihanish club history?
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:43:29 PM »
I'm just trying to find out when Guy Campbell conducted his renovation of the golf course. Every source I've seen has been really vague--"after the Second World War". Wondering if there's a specific year(s) in D.J. McDiarmid's club history....

Thanks!

Marty Bonnar

Re:Anyone have the Machrihanish club history?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:11:12 PM »
Hopefully, the King of Dan's might be able to assist...

http://www.danking.org/day33.html

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »
    From page 21 of the history:

"The course was altered again in 1914 when the services of the famous Open Champion, JH Taylor, were obtained, and the course as then laid out was the one we knew and loved for close on 50 years. Further alterations were necessitated during and after the second world war, as a result of the acquisition of part of the course by the Royal Navy as a Fleet Air Armtraining center and later by R.A.F. Coastal Command. Provision is made for use of the landing area by British Airways for their daily flights to and from Glasgow. The 9th and 10th holes were lost and the 8th had to be sacrificed. The services of Sir Guy Campbell, the famous golf course architect, were secured. The result was the course as we know it today."
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
Thanks, Gene. Interesting that their history doesn't give a specific year, either.... "during and after the second world war".....it does square with what I've seen elsewhere, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back